Crossed 2 BBQ Shrines off my bucket list

Jeff J

TVWBB Member
I have a list of 30 BBQ places I intend to visit before my days are done (hopefully a long time from now). Recently on a trip to Myrtle Beach, I picked two off the list. I apologize for not taking more photo's but with the kids not really understanding why we were diverting an hour off course from the beach to go eat, I was a little frazzled.

On the way down, we stopped at Lexington Barbecue. It was good, but maybe my expectations were too high. I got the Chopped BBQ Plate. The sweet tea was fanstastic, the Lexington Slaw was something special and I intend to make it at home. But the chopped 'cue was just okay IMO. It had good bark and decent flavor, but it was only luke warm when it hit the table and didn't have the WOW factor I was expecting. I have made pork on my smokers that was as good. But, it was a nice, local type of restaurant and we enjoyed the visit.

IMAG0490.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

On the way back, we stopped at Wilbur's Barbecue in Goldsboro, NC. Everything I was expecting at Lexington came to a head here. I got the Brunswick Stew and Barbecue combo, and added a side of Chicken gizzards (just because I like 'em). Everything was fantastic. The barbecue was smokey, flavorful, had great bark pieces, and left me wanting more even though I was stuffed. Mr. Wilbur himself was there working in the restaurant, greeting and seating patrons and overseeing all operations in the front of the house. I spoke with him briefly and let him know how happy I was with the trip and the dinner. In true Southern Gentlemanly fashion, he took a few moments to speak with me about how much he appreciated us stopping in. If I am ever in that area again, it will be on my short list for lunch or dinner.

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0496.jpg

If anyone is interested, or has some input on "must eat BBQ", this is my current list of places on my bucket list:

Clipboard01.jpg

We don't have another family vacation planned for awhile, but I am going to try and knock Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY off my list in the next few months, so I'll report back if we do.

Kreuz and Smittys are on my list. Hopefully this fall. Most famous name bbq places I have found are not able to live up to the hype.
Sad but true.

I may be going to Austin this Fall. If I do, I'm waiting in line at Franklin's. I also heard J Mueller's is open again and if I remember correctly, that is the other "must have" Austin Q.

Always open to suggestions but I think I have to see what the fuss is about at Franklin's.

Awesome list. I did something similar. I crossed off the Salt lick, Franklin, Kreuz and smittys all in one trip. Salt lick (suggest the driftwood location not round rock) is the best BBQ I've ever had. Franklin had the best brisket and kreuz and smittys had great sausage (not as good as salt lick though). I've done Oklahoma joes and Aurthur Bryants as well although they don't hold a candle to Pappys. I didn't see Gates on your list so if you're going to be in KC anyways you may as well hit that. I'm from St. Louis so I can tell you that I'm positive you'll be happy with Pappy's and Bogarts here in the city. St. Louis is quickly becoming a BBQ haven. We don't have our own style therefore we're a melting pot for all styles which makes for some great bbq. Happy Eating!! Update us on what you think!

I have a list of 30 BBQ places I intend to visit before my days are done (hopefully a long time from now).
If anyone is interested, or has some input on "must eat BBQ", this is my current list of places on my bucket list:

Clipboard01.jpg

your bucket list is now my bucket list. Thanks for posting:wsm:

I've been to a few of those all in Texas.
Blacks, The Salt Lick, Smitty's, Louie Muellers, Kreuz Market and Franklin. If your going to Sonny Bryans in Dallas you should add Pecan Lodge also.

Nice list!

If you're going to make the trip to 17th Street Bar & Grill I recommend stopping at the original location in Murphysboro, IL. It's 20-25 miles down the road from the Marion location and my favorite of the three restaurants here in southern Illinois.

Jeff you were close. That tomato base slaw at Lexington is pretty good. I like it hot and with fish. Never been to Wilbur's but hear its good. You hit two big ones here in NC. Sorry about the Lexington Q, I've been reading the same.

Jeff you were close. That tomato base slaw at Lexington is pretty good. I like it hot and with fish. Never been to Wilbur's but hear its good. You hit two big ones here in NC. Sorry about the Lexington Q, I've been reading the same.

We were actually in your backyard. We visited the U.S.S. North Carolina on our trip home before going to Wibur's for dinner. That Battleship is impressive to say the least. My kids really enjoyed the tour.

I'll try the slaw warm when I make it and let ya know. Thanks for the tip!

We were actually in your backyard. We visited the U.S.S. North Carolina on our trip home before going to Wibur's for dinner. That Battleship is impressive to say the least. My kids really enjoyed the tour.

I'll try the slaw warm when I make it and let ya know. Thanks for the tip!
Jeff, actually I like it spicy hot. Just making sure we're on the same page although when restaurants serve it, it does feel warm to the touch sometimes. Glad your family enjoyed the ship!

Jeff, actually I like it spicy hot. Just making sure we're on the same page although when restaurants serve it, it does feel warm to the touch sometimes. Glad your family enjoyed the ship!

Ahh, missed the hot reference. However, I am a fan of spicy as well. I usually add hot sauce to regular cole slaw, so will fill the bill here as well. I did pick up a couple of bottles of Wilbur's sauce, which is a spice vinegar based sauce, so maybe it can enhance the Lexington slaw.

This is a great list. Just a couple of notes. Arthur Bryants has been going down in quality for a number of years. LC's bbq in Kansas City, although a total dive is to die for for the burnt ends and beans. Also good is Skylite bbq in Ayden NC. I totally recommend Central bbq in Memphis and Paynes. At Paynes get the jumbo pork sandwich, with hot bbq sauce with mustard slaw on top. This place is a dive also, actually a converted gas station, but that sandwich is remarkable. I have also eaten at Smitty's, Kruez and Black's. Although Kruez was the biggest, it was also my least favorite.

One quick note on Pappy's. I was just in St Louis last month and ate there. The ribs were smoked well, but the rub they use is just black pepper and it kind of overpowered the taste of everything. Also tried the brisket and it was awful, dry and chewey. Maybe they were having a bad day. And one other thing, I got a slab of ribs to take home, and they were SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than what they serve in the restaurant.

Last edited:
Here is a place that is as far from a shrine as you can get. But its good, basic bare bones bbq. East Central Illinois is not the first place that you would think to go for bbq, but if you are near Danville Illinois on the east side of town on 136 there is a family that sells from their smoker in the lot of an unused gas station. The smoker is home built on a trailer, woodpile nearby. I stop when I pass by and its better than some of the "name" places. Its real bbq.

While you are in Texas you'll have to visit City Market in Luling, TX. It is just south of Kreuz and Smitty's. Its my personal favorite. Also, while you are in Lockhart you should visit Chisholm Trail Bar-B-Que.

While you are in Texas you'll have to visit City Market in Luling, TX. It is just south of Kreuz and Smitty's. Its my personal favorite. Also, while you are in Lockhart you should visit Chisholm Trail Bar-B-Que.

I can also vouch for City Market. I thought their sausage and ribs were the best I had in the area.

Back