Crossed 2 BBQ Shrines off my bucket list

My advice in Dallas is - forget about Sonny Bryans (unless you like boiled smoke less meats) and head straight to Pecan Lodge - Shed #2 Farmers Market, and you should add Taylor Cafe if you ever end up in Taylor Texas, you can eat at L Muellers and walk over to the train tracks and eat at Taylor Cafe.

Looks like my dream vaccation 2014! Now i just have to pin all those spots on a map(with a few added places to meet up with some of you fine folks) Now i just have to win the lottery!

your bucket list is now my bucket list. Thanks for posting:wsm:

Good list, now that you have had Lexington BBQ. Head east to Greenville and Ayden for Bees BBQ. Get there early when they run out they close. And Skylight Inn in Ayden. Eastern NC BBQ is the best.

I posted in the restaurant directory section as well but I thought maybe this thread was appropriate as well. I made it to Austin but unfortunately didnt have time to do a serious bbq crawl. I wanted to go to Franklin's to see what the fuss was about but I was at a convnention so I didnt have a morning off to wait in line. My only option was to find the closest place to the convention center and try to get lunch. Well, Iron Works BBQ was right around the corner so we were able to get over there one day.

Coming from Florida which is obviously a southeast/pork centric bbq state, I was looking forward to the completely different style in Texas. It was actually strange to see a bbq menu that didnt have pulled pork on it. The smell of brisket was fantastic as we walked in and the rustic old building made for a perfect atmosphere. The brisket was cooked perfectly, better than I have ever cooked one for sure. It had a great beefy flavor but I found myself wanting more smoke and rub but I got mostly point so not much surface area for rub. Maybe it was just my expectations or the fact that I make a very peppery brisket. The beef rib was really good as well and the sausage was fantastic. Overall great experience.

I'd love to have had the time to visit a few more but it just didnt work out this time. I've come to the conclusion though that bbq in Texas is good no matter where you go. I had a brisket sandwich at the airport that was pretty dang good too. Just dont tell anyone I said that. :eek:

Glad you got to get to some Austin BBQ. No shame in eating at the airport. That place is run by the Salt Lick. Not as good as the regular spot but close enough.
If you get to make it again and want to check some other places out without standing in the Franklin line try Micklethwait Craft Meats and the Blue Ox BBQ.
Both are very good. Not Franklin good but close and there is little to no line. Having said that if you do get a few hours to burn to stand in the line Franklin BBQ is worth the fuss.

Back