Craziest thing I've ever had happen

Got my Pyrex baking dish put down on flarorizer bars, put about a qt of water in it and got grill going. Once up to roasting speed I mounted up the bird and we were off. Toward the end I thought I would add a little more water to the baking dish. Suddenly the damn thing "exploded".
I just read an article last week regarding the controversy around Pyrex. I didn't know this myself but apparently Pyrex no longer uses borosilicate glass which is what made it so famous and resistant to thermal shock, and people are experiencing more explosions just like you did.

https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-controversy-that-just-wont-die-1833040962

Larry everything you touch seems to break lately. If I were you I'd be afraid to go to the bathroom!

I just read an article last week regarding the controversy around Pyrex. I didn't know this myself but apparently Pyrex no longer uses borosilicate glass which is what made it so famous and resistant to thermal shock, and people are experiencing more explosions just like you did.

https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-controversy-that-just-wont-die-1833040962

Thing is I have had this Pyrex set for well over 10 years and what I did last night was not something new. I have done this before with the same pan. Let's just say it was an eye opener. I am going to to find some stainless steel backing pans and no more Pyrex

Larry everything you touch seems to break lately. If I were you I'd be afraid to go to the bathroom!

Yes I think you're right. I might do as the famous quote from The Godfather 1 Sony "I don't want my brother coming outta that bathroom with nothing but a smile and his d^&k in his hand" :D Guess I better be careful..........................especially with knives

Yah, I remember seeing something about people hoarding OLD pyrex because they had changed something that was leading to what you experienced with the newer version. I am thinking that was stuff much older than ten years ago.

That being said, I would never put liquid in a dry fully heated pyrex dish. While it is amazingly resistant to sudden temp changes, it can and will do what yours did. My mother always cautioned me about it as it happened to her once and was quite startling as she told it.

You were lucky a second time Larry. Never experienced anything like that. Although when we lived in California we had a beautiful pool and spa in the backyard. The grill was along side the pool. We did not allow any glass of any kind in the backyard. Because if you break a glass and some of it falls into the pool it's almost impossible to see it, also lots of bare feet doesn't work out to well for finding a shard you missed on the clean up.
To this day I only use SS or metal for grill use.

I think you would be OK using the Pyrex if you ensure that you keep some liquid in it at all times. But, yah, I use disposable aluminum pans or stainless steel ones instead of Pyrex in my grill.

I’d avoid the Pyrex for that particular kind of project as well. Steel, iron, or (for lighter projects), foil. Just safer.

Speaking of crazy things that can happen I have one a little similar to Larry's Pyrex incident because it involves glass.

We had a patio dining table out on our back table for years. It had a tempered glass top. Pretty nice table that we probably had for 15 years at the time. One day shortly after we had come in from eating at that table we hear what sounded like a mini explores from the backyard. Went out to the deck and the glass top of that table had just spontaneously exploded into thousands of pieces. What a mess. And kind of scary since we had just been sitting at that table with our kids.

In looking up the incident online we weren't the only ones that had experienced this and some people reported injuries even though it was tempered glass. We replaced it with ceramic tile top table rather than glass.

Back