Craycort grates

Mike Leiter

TVWBB Pro
I have heard these Craycort are good CI grates to get. I found a 3 mth old used set for 45.00 and wondering if it worth it to use over the stainless ones that came with the grill. I do like the sear effect and these would do that...

If they are for the 22.5 grill them by all means GET THEM. That's half price, and quality CI can last (nearly) forever.

If they are for the 22.5 grill them by all means GET THEM. That's half price, and quality CI can last (nearly) forever.

It is for the 22.5...Thanks for the info. Was looking at another set when I first got the grill but never got them. Summers coming and have some plans to do more on the grill and the smoker this yr...

Craycort's griddle insert is a wonderful addition. I've used mine for numerous cooks, and I am still finding other ways to use it.

Anybody know who has the best deal on them?

I'm aware of only one way to buy - directly from the manufacturer (Craycort) via www.cast-iron-grate.com. Be prepared to pay about $110.00 for the 22.5" version by the time you add shipping and a grate/quadrant lifting tool (which you'll almost surely need). Not a cheap investment by any means, and in my case would cost more than twice as much as I've spent on ANY 22.5" Weber I've owned (including my gas-assist Performer).

Another much less expensive option is buying a stainless steel hinged grate directly from Weber. Those run about 30 bucks plus shipping (unless you catch one of Weber's free shipping deals - but shipping's only $7.99). Not as good for searing and you won't get those "cool grill marks" of the CI grate - nor do you have options for inserts. But they'll outlast the cheap plated ones you find at Home Depot and Lowes 8 to 1.

Don't get me wrong - I would absolutely LOVE to have a set for one of my 22.5" kettles, but am way too frugal to pay $100+. Unfortunately used Craycort findings are VERY rare, but I'll wait it out. :)

Last edited:
I smile every time I use mine. Any updates on your grates?

I picked them up and they look like a great heavy grate and definitely were lightly used...I have to strip the oil off and re-season them though as they kept them seasoned with peanut oil. Thats a great oil to use but we have a peanut allergy person in the family so don't want to risk it. The seller actually got rid of them and went with the Weber sear set.

Don't get me wrong - I would absolutely LOVE to have a set for one of my 22.5" kettles, but am way too frugal to pay $100+. Unfortunately used Craycort findings are VERY rare, but I'll wait it out. :)

Thats why I got these...At 45.00 with a unused vegetable/wok insert it was a great deal not to pass up. I thought for sure with it posted on CL they would have gotten snatched up quicker but I got them. It was a 145.00 value at least for very lightly used set.

Last edited:
Thats why I got these...At 45.00 with a unused vegetable/wok insert it was a great deal not to pass up. I thought for sure with it posted on CL they would have gotten snatched up quicker but I got them. It was a 145.00 value at least for very lightly used set.

And I will be VERY happy to snatch them off your hands for 55 bucks if you find you don't like them! :D Heck, I might even go 60!! :eek:

Lol

Anybody know a good way to strip the peanut oils off these so I can re-coat and re-season them with another oil ? Don't want to ruin the grates in the process but assume its just like my cast iron pans.

Look Mike - save yourself the time and hassle. Take my 66 bucks and RUN........and I'll worry about all that!

Seriously I would just build a big hot fire in the kettle - a FULL, heaping chimney fully ashed over - plop the lid on, all vents wide open, and let her rip. Probably add another half chimney of unlit on top. An hour or so at 500+ should burn all seasoning and residue.

Best way to both clean AND sanitize. :)

Last edited:
Another much less expensive option is buying a stainless steel hinged grate directly from Weber. Those run about 30 bucks plus shipping (unless you catch one of Weber's free shipping deals - but shipping's only $7.99). Not as good for searing and you won't get those "cool grill marks" of the CI grate - nor do you have options for inserts. But they'll outlast the cheap plated ones you find at Home Depot and Lowes 8 to 1.
Last summer I bought the Char-Broil grate kit from Academy Sports for $30 plus shipping as a way to get my feet wet with cast iron without spending a larger sum. So far I've been happy (except for it not being a USA-made product) with it and will eventually upgrade to something better.

Last summer I bought the Char-Broil grate kit from Academy Sports for $30 plus shipping as a way to get my feet wet with cast iron without spending a larger sum. So far I've been happy (except for it not being a USA-made product) with it and will eventually upgrade to something better.

Yep, and I have a set of those. They're a good deal for the money, unfortunately Charbroil no longer offers them on their site (as the 2 piece set for the 22.5) and Academy is closing them out too --> http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39348-Char-Broil%AE-Replacement-Cast-Iron-Kettle-Grill-Grates-2-Pack-at-Academy-Sports-20-88&highlight=charbroil

Charbroil does show the middle part of the grate on their site, but it only fits an 18 inch grill.

Last edited:
Well I cleaned them up with a wire brush and * GASP * stripped them clean of oil. Don't want to risk any peanut oil left behind even with a high heat burn off. Coated them with bacon grease and then put them in the hot grill with a chimney of coals. Brushed them again with oil when hot and then let them cool down and then wiped them down with oil again. Hopefully they will re-season after a few uses and oil wipe downs. These definitely made the grill heavier when wheeling it around but cant wait to cook on them finally.

I do have a question for those that have these. The removable sections have a very flat sided edge to the individual grids and then when flipped the grates have a tapered edge to the little grids. Which side of the grates is up and which is down or doesn't it matter??

The section is at top of red arrow as in this pic
stargriddle_zps03d9512c.jpg

Which side of the grates is up and which is down or doesn't it matter??
Mike, i'm not sure it does matter... i'll flip them over from time to time butt the steaks i cook onum still get grilled properly :)

Mike, i'm not sure it does matter... i'll flip them over from time to time butt the steaks i cook onum still get grilled properly :)

Thanks Jim ....Since these were picked up used just wanted to make sure one way wasn't supposed to be up or not. I`ll probably just leave the tapered side up for now so juices run down the edges easier..LOL

Back