Cowboy Lump

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Anyone else use this stuff? I got some SERIOUSLY hot temps using it this weekend. There were some other factors that went into play for it getting so hot (the smoker was still hot from previous cook) but I went to 320* with a quickness.

This was with a luke warm weber water pan and the vents wide open.

It worked well this time since I was doing chicken, but has me worried for my next low and slow.

I often use it in my kettle when cooking steaks or burgers. I find that the charcoal gets hot quickly. I attribute this to the fact that the chunks are generally small, flat, thin or any combination thereof.

I haven't found anything strange in it like others have but I don't use it often either.

I used to use the stuff all the time im my kettle,Man that stuff burns way hot and fast.
I would not use in a WSM. Go with Royal Oak or Wicked Good. Check out the Naked Whiz for lump reviews.

Randell

I've not used much Cowboy, I use Royal Oak, but I had half a bag of Cowboy that had been laying around for a year and decided to use it. After I lit it, it smelled like newspaper/trash burning. I used a MAPP torch to light it so the smell wasn't from anything use to light it. At first I thought maybe it was just a stray piece of paper from the bag so I waited for it to start buring good and figured it would quickly go away. The cooker temp got up to 400 and it was still stinking. It took over 30 minutes burning at temps over 400 to finally go away. I can only guess a piece of varnished flooring scrap or some other composite scrap made it in that batch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Check out the Naked Whiz for lump reviews. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cowboy didn't rate too well with them. It figures, that's the only brand I can find local. I have too wait until I head to Reading PA this summer to pick up a load of Humphey's.

Check your local Walmart for Royal Oak Lump. We don't have a great selection in Central Florida either, but I have been happy with the Royal Oak. It runs about $5.27 for a 10-lb bag.

The Wal mart in Burlington and Mabane NC has Royal Oak Lump and they sell it for $5.27 also. I can get Cowboy at the Lowes ,dont want any. I did a week end cook last week end using Royal Oak lump . Using 3 WSM's 2 briskets on one , a shoulder and a butt on one and baby backs on the third, chicken on the kettle using the old Kingsford. This was one of my best overall cooks ever.

The one time I used Cowboy I had a time keeping the heat down . It may be ok for grilling but it was not for me in the smoker.

Rick

Back