Covered But Taking on Water

J

John Baikie

I have a new WSM and noticed that even though I've covered the smoker with the Weber cover I'm still getting water in the water bowl or the bottom of the cooker after it rains. I left the bottom vents open to allow air flow but closed the top vent.

Has anyone else seen this when using the Weber cover included with the grill? Is it leaking at the top seam and entering through the lip between the cover and the middle section?

John,

I've noticed it too, so I gave up on the Weber cover and now use a large trash can liner. It may not be as attractive, but I don't get water in the bowl. I'm function, not form.

Welcome John.
I keep mine in the garage, but to your prob, that's not uncommon according to the FAQ.
Theres a coupla tips on there, and the garbage bag is a good one, and you can also place your Weber cover over that for the Halibut.
icon_smile.gif

Tim

I bought a cheap cover at HD before my WSM arrived, not knowing that it came with a cover. I've been double bagging mine, and it has stayed totally dry. Another tip that I ran across and like - if you'll turn the middle section upside down for storage, the edges will line up between all three sections so that they direct water to the outside of the WSM instead of to the inside.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark R (LR):
...if you'll turn the middle section upside down for storage, the edges will line up between all three sections so that they direct water to the outside of the WSM instead of to the inside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it's that simple.

I actually think the factory cover is pretty decent, but I only use it in the cooler months when not smoking as much. Of course, if I took the time to clean the outside of my cooker so it was nice and shiny, I might cover it more often. I guess if there's white streaks on the kettle lid from flying fowl, it might be time to clean 'em all up some.
icon_redface.gif

I use a large plastic bag, then put the stock cover on top.

I also make sure all vents are open when storing.

I tossed the WSM cover years ago. the 22.5" premium cover keeps the water out. It doesn't cover all of the way down to the legs but it does keep the inside dry.

I have a new 18.5 wsm and was going to use the included cover but ended up adding three of those genie garage door handles and of course now the wsm is bit bigger diameter. Anybody know if the 22.5 kettle cover will fit the wsm with handles? (I realize it will be a bit short length wise)

What is the difference between a 22.5 premium cover and a regular cover?

Thanks

I used seam sealer, such as for tents. It's easy to apply. I used several coats for insurance.

Rita

Since storing mine outside now for the 3rd year. Just turning the mid section upside down as in the FAQ referenced above has worked like a charm. I also leave all the vents open to help air circulate..

I've also taken to storing the food grates indoors on a hook.

I still use the stock cover, mostly as a dust, dirt and light rain/snow protection.

With the mid section inverted I have never gone out to use it and found any pooled water anywhere inside the unit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne E.:
I have a new 18.5 wsm and was going to use the included cover but ended up adding three of those genie garage door handles and of course now the wsm is bit bigger diameter. Anybody know if the 22.5 kettle cover will fit the wsm with handles? (I realize it will be a bit short length wise)

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just take one of the handles off. My cover fits fine over two, and I only have two hands anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wayne E.:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 18.5 kettle cover will fit. The one that is light gray and is about $6 at Target/HD/Lowes.

The cover that comes with it is to keep out dust. It is sewn together and NOT waterproof. Oh well... I keep mine in the garage any way, with the access door off and vents open so no mold that way!

Back