Couple WSM Maintenance Questions

BWalker

TVWBB Member
Couple questions for you experts out there:

1) I have a buddy that gives me scraps of used bourbon barrels to smoke with.... I don't smoke extensively with these (add a piece or two to apple wood) but I've noticed that it seems to be gunking up the inside of my smoker, especially around the top vent. Anyone else had experience with this?

2) Does meat tend to stick to the grates when you cook? Will oiling the grates down prior to smoking do anything to help this?

3) How the hell do you get a pork butt off the grill w/out it falling apart? A really big spatula?

Much thanks!

1) I have a buddy that gives me scraps of used bourbon barrels to smoke with.... I don't smoke extensively with these (add a piece or two to apple wood) but I've noticed that it seems to be gunking up the inside of my smoker, especially around the top vent. Anyone else had experience with this?

2) Does meat tend to stick to the grates when you cook? Will oiling the grates down prior to smoking do anything to help this?

3) How the hell do you get a pork butt off the grill w/out it falling apart? A really big spatula?

Much thanks!

I've never really had 'gunk' from any of the smoke wood I've used.

Never had an issue with meat sticking to the grates.

get a pair of ove-gloves, and then a box of latex gloves that fit over them. just pick the butt up with your hands.

The inside of the lid will develop a black coating. As long as it's shiny it's ok, but if it gets flaky brush it out.
I use Pam spray to make cleaning the grate easier not so much for sticking meat. Anything in particular sticking? Butt fat might stick, hence go fat side down so if you leave anything it'll be fat.
If butt is falling apart, you may have overdone it, however, sometimes that'll happen. Get a spatula and tongs and if needed take the butt off in pieces. What the heck, you're going to pull or shred it anyway.

Last edited:

1)

Much thanks!

i got nothing on #1
i can't say I've noticed too much sticking to my grates....and I think oiling the grates can't hurt

i have a pair of those turkey lifter things , you know they look like two giant forks with short handles? They work pretty well if the meat is right on the grate....but I also frequently put the butt in a foil pan or even a small roasting pan that fits on my 18.5....,lift the meat right off and you get to use the defatted pan drippings for your finishing sauce.

I tend to brush my grate (after it is hot) then oil it with a folded paper towel dipped in Canola oil. I put the Boston Butt right on the grate. After it reaches 160 degrees, I place the butt in a throw-a-way aluminum pan and foil it. This saves all of the drippings after the foil but a lot of the grease has "left" the butt by that time.

I use a pair of rubber BBQ gloves to pick the roast up with to put it in the pan. The pan not only catches the drippings which are VERY useful (after defatting) to moisten the pulled pork to your taste. The pan also allows easy handling after the roast is pulled. I DO suggest you use a tray under the pan (they are a bit flimsy and we do NOT want to have the pan collapse and drop the roast in the dirt...

FWIW
Dale53

#1. The top vent is the exhaust so you will get some "smoke gunk" buildup over time, I doubt it has anything to do with the barrel stave's.
#2. I don't trim my butts and cook FC down. Whatever might stick is only rendered fat, and easily scrapped off.
#3. I use a big fish spat also. It's a Raichlen one picked up at BB&B on the CL rack. Check the stores as most are having an end of season sale on BBQ gear.

Tim

I ocasionaly use pieces of Oak/bourbon barrel and don't get any more (or less) gunk from that specific wood. Does the wood itself seem to be gummy or anything? The peices I have are clean and dry. Like others I also have a smokey buildup inside my smoker but it's not a problem. Every once in a while I rotate open/close the top vent because it can get a bit sticky.

I spray my grates with PAM or wipe them down with olive oil before I cook. This helps keep food from sticking and makes cleaning the grates slightly easier.

Back