Couple of recent cooks

Mark B

TVWBB Pro
Hello everyone,

Haven't been doing too much cooking outdoors this winter, thought I would share some pics.

Finally did another tri-tip. Really enjoy this cut. The butcher I deal with is a processor too. They take cattle from various ranches and process them per order. They also sell from their own herd wholesale and retail (which is what I get).

Normally the beef is 28 day aged, I missed my pickup and got this tri-tip at 34 days. Froze it until ready to use recently. I'm not sure there was much difference - still got the rich beefy taste I'm used to. Maybe just a bit extra flavour.

Tied the tail end to even out the roast. I seasoned with S&P and granulated garlic. Grilled direct on the Performer for a good sear on both sides, then cooked indirect until about 128. Wanted 125, but I was too slow I guess. :) It finished at around 135.

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

Plated with acorn squash, some potato wedges (cooked with lemon juice and oregano) and corn. The corn is good local stuff we freeze for winter. Should have had some green beans or peas in there for contrast.

IMG_0498.JPG

We've had a real mild stretch of weather here lately and today was nice and sunny and 14 C. (57F) Had a good walk with the wife (no jackets required :cool:) then had to fire up the WSM for some back ribs. These were nice sized, slathered with yellow mustard for a few hours then seasoned with some sea salt and Kevin K's Butt Rub (For Jane). Cooked around 250 for a few hours, using RO briquettes and apple wood chunks. I was a bit early with the cook, so foiled the ribs and took them off heat for a while. When the time came they went back on the WSM, and brushed with some bought sauce we don't mind - PC Smokin' Stampede. It's pretty much a KC style I think. They were on about 20 mins or so with sauce.

No plated pics, we had them with cole slaw and potatoes. But the ribs turned out real nice, some crispy ends and good colour. Nice smokey flavour and good texture - easy to bite but not fall off the bone. (Al dente maybe ?)

Jan24_bbr.jpg

Thanks for watching, and keep that charcoal going.

That sure looks good to me - luckily, I just found 2 more racks of babybacks in the freezer----------

Back