Country Style Ribs

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
New one for me. Had filled my fridge at the beginning of lockdown, figured I could try some new things.
So I copied the recipe from Malcolm at HowToBBQright YouTube channel.
Rubbed with Blues Hog rub the night before. Smoked at 275 on the kettle, on the grates until about 160, flipped once about halfway. Then into a bath of pineapple juice and bbq sauce as a braising liquid, then covered in foil and back on until an IT of 195.
Plated it with some pierogis in sautéed onions. Smoky, tender, and a really nice taste overall.

8E758F85-C18B-439E-8BEE-AE55F035F1D3.jpeg
6C6E28E5-BD66-4106-9DA0-F549EAE25896.jpeg
38488CE1-7004-478D-ACDA-0D1FE4A9D207.jpeg
889CE7F3-28E3-4A21-89DA-0437EF1A9C38.jpeg

They look really good. Different spin with the pineapple. May need to try it. I grew up eating country style ribs so I know them well.

CSR's look delicious Brian. Hard to go wrong with a Malcom recipe. Are your pierogis homemade? I haven't had those for quite a while. Might have to fix that.

I have never had these, is the like a pork shoulder steak or more like a chop or something completely different? How did the pineapple addition work?

I have never had these, is the like a pork shoulder steak or more like a chop or something completely different? How did the pineapple addition work?

Not sure how to describe it, kind of like a chop (haven’t had a shoulder steak) but very tender. And the pineapple was great, added a nice sweetness. My son thought I got the balance of pineapple and bbq a little off, might go with less pineapple / more bbq next time.

New one for me. Had filled my fridge at the beginning of lockdown, figured I could try some new things.
So I copied the recipe from Malcolm at HowToBBQright YouTube channel.
Rubbed with Blues Hog rub the night before. Smoked at 275 on the kettle, on the grates until about 160, flipped once about halfway. Then into a bath of pineapple juice and bbq sauce as a braising liquid, then covered in foil and back on until an IT of 195.
Plated it with some pierogis in sautéed onions. Smoky, tender, and a really nice taste overall.

I just watched the video and I'm going to give it a try. Did you trim the ribs first? I have a decent layer of fat on one side of the rib and just wondering if I should remove (or thin it down).

Thanks

I just watched the video and I'm going to give it a try. Did you trim the ribs first? I have a decent layer of fat on one side of the rib and just wondering if I should remove (or thin it down).

Thanks

I didnt trim them at all. They were a little fatty (hard to tell in pic #1 with the rub) but not so much that I was worried. And I felt like with the length of time they were braising they’d be ok.

Back