Costco refrigerator review

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
Our old refrigerator took a turn for the worse a couple weeks ago.
It started freezing everything and it was ridiculously small so we got a new one.
We were always over stuffing and loosing things in that little fridge when we had guests.
We even joked that it was an “I love Lucy” refrigerator.

It was so small that I had to remodel the cabinets quite a bit to get a standard sized unit to fit.
Talk about a pain in the tail, nothing (and I mean nothing) was fun about that but I did my best to make it look like it wasn’t hacked up.

So we were in Costco and liked their fancy big Samsung unit but wanted a stainless one.
It also had this big old computer screen that we didn’t think we had any use for so we went to Home Depot to look at what they had or could order.
I really don’t have much to say about Home Depot but they wanted $4,500 for the one Costco had for $2,500 and continused to tell us that we were getting a good deal.
I still can’t figure that one out but I smiled anyways and thanked them.

Anyhow, we liked the fancy big one in Costco so we ordered it in Stainless for $2,399 plus tax it was right close to $2,600 out the door.
The price included free delivery with set up and haul away. Home Depot wanted extra for those items.
It also showed up on time 2 days after I ordered it.

This fridge is really nice and I’m very satisfied that we got this smart unit with the computer.
The computer does a bunch of cool items.
I like the shopping list function probably the most.
I dig the calendar for scheduling events ranks up there.
I can ask it to turn on one of my playlists while I’m cooking or hanging out and it even has a (pinchy yet ok) sound system .
This fridge just has a wad of functions like autofill water pitcher, voice commands and one side of the bottom can either be a fridg or I can lower the temp to make it into a freezer.

It’s been a couple weeks and I still haven’t learned everything thing it can do but so far i am digging this and the pricing.

Attachments

• 0E6EF02F-F37C-490D-BE41-0FDD0644A1D4.jpeg
    0E6EF02F-F37C-490D-BE41-0FDD0644A1D4.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 34
  • C2A9A6E6-D8B4-4AB2-9225-DC4A07504496.jpeg
    C2A9A6E6-D8B4-4AB2-9225-DC4A07504496.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 07E1F4BC-FE6F-4022-90C6-83A87163897F.jpeg
    07E1F4BC-FE6F-4022-90C6-83A87163897F.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 35
Yes, good deal! I wouldn’t buy a bottle of water from HD if my hair was on fire!
I have heard mixed reviews on Samsung refrigerators but, I know their TV’s are pretty good! I’d get the extended warranty, just in case. I’m not sure I’d want a “smart fridge” it would tell me I was eating too much of something and lock itsdoor on me!🤣🤣🤣
I think we will be expecting a status report after a few weeks/months… that’s just how nosy I can be!

Our old refrigerator took a turn for the worse a couple weeks ago.
It started freezing everything and it was ridiculously small so we got a new one.
We were always over stuffing and loosing things in that little fridge when we had guests.
We even joked that it was an “I love Lucy” refrigerator.

It was so small that I had to remodel the cabinets quite a bit to get a standard sized unit to fit.
Talk about a pain in the tail, nothing (and I mean nothing) was fun about that but I did my best to make it look like it wasn’t hacked up.

So we were in Costco and liked their fancy big Samsung unit but wanted a stainless one.
It also had this big old computer screen that we didn’t think we had any use for so we went to Home Depot to look at what they had or could order.
I really don’t have much to say about Home Depot but they wanted $4,500 for the one Costco had for $2,500 and continused to tell us that we were getting a good deal.
I still can’t figure that one out but I smiled anyways and thanked them.

Anyhow, we liked the fancy big one in Costco so we ordered it in Stainless for $2,399 plus tax it was right close to $2,600 out the door.
The price included free delivery with set up and haul away. Home Depot wanted extra for those items.
It also showed up on time 2 days after I ordered it.

This fridge is really nice and I’m very satisfied that we got this smart unit with the computer.
The computer does a bunch of cool items.
I like the shopping list function probably the most.
I dig the calendar for scheduling events ranks up there.
I can ask it to turn on one of my playlists while I’m cooking or hanging out and it even has a (pinchy yet ok) sound system .
This fridge just has a wad of functions like autofill water pitcher, voice commands and one side of the bottom can either be a fridg or I can lower the temp to make it into a freezer.

It’s been a couple weeks and I still haven’t learned everything thing it can do but so far i am digging this and the pricing.
i do not own a Samsung so i have zero firsthand knowledge. I did my own research before buying a new LG from Costco three (May 22, 2020) years ago.

This is very much in line with my research on Samsung. YMMV.

I can say our LG french door fridge has been rock solid. We bought it because it has two ice makers and the reviews at the time were very strong for it.

LG 28CuFt WiFi- Enabled InstaView™ Refrigerator with Door-In-Door, Stainless Steel
Item # ‌1284380‌
$ 1,999.99

EDIT: our model is no longer current and has been replaced with a newer model. we chose the door within door feature. for the price, which was $1,000 less than HD, we couldn't resist. i plan on buying LG again if presented the need to do so.

Yes, good deal! I wouldn’t buy a bottle of water from HD if my hair was on fire!
I have heard mixed reviews on Samsung refrigerators but, I know their TV’s are pretty good! I’d get the extended warranty, just in case. I’m not sure I’d want a “smart fridge” it would tell me I was eating too much of something and lock itsdoor on me!🤣🤣🤣
I think we will be expecting a status report after a few weeks/months… that’s just how nosy I can be!
I have a Samsung French Door fridge, and right after the warranty period, the evaporator coil started freezing up, requiring me to take it apart and manually defrost it every few months. I've tried several things, but nothing I do fixes it for any length of time. I will not buy another one. We went shopping and couldn't find anything we liked so we're sitting tight for the moment. The fridge works great, when it works.

1700002721777.png

Keep us posted on the Samsung Fridge, Nextdoor neighbor bought one with all the bells and whistles.
As said buy the extended warranty.

We have a Frigidaire that froze up like that. It was making ice in the bottom of the unit below the lowest drawer. Found that the drain tube to the drip tray underneath was plugged so every time if went through a defrost cycle more water gathered in the bottom and froze as well as the coils in the freezer. Got everything thawed out and the tube flushed out and it hasn't had a problem since.

I did read about the reviews and went against the bad ones for various reasons, one of them is that they had time to look into correcting issues and they make my favorite televisions.
I hope this works out because I like this model more than what the other spare offering.

We’re having issues with things freezing in the fridge(KitchenAid) as well and the ice dispenser doesn’t work. I’ve repaired the overhead microwave(GE) once and have replaced a burner and an element in the electric oven(Maytag). The only thing that hasn’t given us any trouble is the dishwasher(KitchenAid). They are all 17 years old, I see a whole new set in the near future…

There is a fix SAmsung has out for the freezeup stuff. And fwiw, my brother has had one for quite a few years. It even survived his house getting a straight on lightning strike a few years back and having the whole second floor burn off, being drenched with water and is still functioning perfecly to this day in his house. FWIW, when someone has a product that works well you really don't hear about it. But, let it hiccup and the world knows every detail.

A friend had a samsung, counter depth 22 cu ft that was about six years old and the freezer stopped getting cold.

Estimate to repair was $1400. I was asked to review the estimate since they thought it was a scam but the parts cost was about $900 and labor about $500. Estimate involved replacing compressors, fans and controllers and this required evacuating and refilling freon. I suggested they get a second estimate and was there when the repair person said some of the failures cascade and take other things out and the only safe way is to replace two controller boards and the compressor motor and the fans. His estimate was $1600 and included a second controller board that in his opinion was a contributor.

This was replaced with a new Whirlpool.

@Andy Kaminski I hope your unit lives a long and healthy life. From what I was able to piece together on my friends, the controller board caused a fan to stop cooling a compressor which caused it to overheat and eventually draw too much power causing another electrical failure. I suggest watching it closely and keeping an eye on the maintenance.

We have a Frigidaire that froze up like that. It was making ice in the bottom of the unit below the lowest drawer. Found that the drain tube to the drip tray underneath was plugged so every time if went through a defrost cycle more water gathered in the bottom and froze as well as the coils in the freezer. Got everything thawed out and the tube flushed out and it hasn't had a problem since.
I had the same problem on my whirlpool except I also ended up with water on the floor every time it defrosted. I figured it out just like you did and fixed it.

Samsung makes great TV's and smart phones, refrigerators not so much. They particularly seem to have ice maker problems according to reviews I've read.

We’re having issues with things freezing in the fridge(KitchenAid) as well and the ice dispenser doesn’t work. I’ve repaired the overhead microwave(GE) once and have replaced a burner and an element in the electric oven(Maytag). The only thing that hasn’t given us any trouble is the dishwasher(KitchenAid). They are all 17 years old, I see a whole new set in the near future…
we replaced a 6 year old KA french door unit that pooped itself to death after they replaced the unit with a whole new fridge under warranty. i will NEVER buy KA french door fridge until the unit is redesigned in totality. it was a KFIS model IIRC. yet my KA that i boguth 22 years ago, side by side, works just fine and is our garage fridge. the KA french door unit ultimately killed itself when the coils developed holes and all the gas escaped. the unit couldn't cool. i was so over scheduled service appts and frustration that we bought the LG. i've been mostly sane and happy since then. did i mention it has two ice makers? we really like ice. a lot of ice. make for great margs in the summer.

There is a fix SAmsung has out for the freezeup stuff. And fwiw, my brother has had one for quite a few years. It even survived his house getting a straight on lightning strike a few years back and having the whole second floor burn off, being drenched with water and is still functioning perfecly to this day in his house. FWIW, when someone has a product that works well you really don't hear about it. But, let it hiccup and the world knows every detail.
If there's a fix, I'd like to see it. If you'll notice, it's the upper part of the coil that freezes, not the lower part where the defrost heater element and the drain is. To me, it looks like the freezing starts at the very top, where the coolant lines enter, but that is all sealed up.

All fridges with ice in the door on the refrigerator portion or ice maker installed in the fridge portion have many issues.
One of the biggest reasons I opted for NO ice maker! The other was I don’t care for the city water taste. A 7# bag of commercial ice once a week or so allows just a little more freezer room. Houses in 1935 weren’t built for the modern mammoth appliances available now so, when you get a unit that will “fit“ the spot available, you have to be a Marine! (I wasn’t) Adapt, overcome, improvise! One reason I am very much blessed to have a longtime buddy that’s a cabinetmaker! When he needs jewelry, I’m there!

we replaced a 6 year old KA french door unit that pooped itself to death after they replaced the unit with a whole new fridge under warranty. i will NEVER buy KA french door fridge until the unit is redesigned in totality. it was a KFIS model IIRC. yet my KA that i boguth 22 years ago, side by side, works just fine and is our garage fridge. the KA french door unit ultimately killed itself when the coils developed holes and all the gas escaped. the unit couldn't cool. i was so over scheduled service appts and frustration that we bought the LG. i've been mostly sane and happy since then. did i mention it has two ice makers? we really like ice. a lot of ice. make for great margs in the summer.
I think that, possibly because of the Energy efficiency requirements, the units are not as durable as the older fridges. Everybody has a story about fridges that lasted just about forever, me among them. It's like the way cars are going...I don't think EVs will last as long as cars of days past.

I think that, possibly because of the Energy efficiency requirements, the units are not as durable as the older fridges. Everybody has a story about fridges that lasted just about forever, me among them. It's like the way cars are going...I don't think EVs will last as long as cars of days past.
fully agree.

Samsung royally screwed us over on a counter depth French door bottom freezer Samsung refrigerator. Nothing with a Samsung brand is allowed in my house. Period.

Back