COSTA RICAN BEEF

Looks good, Richard! I'm not familiar with Costa Rican cuisine.....are there some unique spices/ingredients in there? Would love to know more about your marinade and/or rub.

R

RICH: MY COSTA RICAN WIFE PREPARES A ARGENTINA-TYPE CHIMI-CHURI AND ONCE PLACED ON MY WEBER PERFORMER DELUXE GRILL I ADD SOME LAWRYS SEASONED SALT ON BOTH SIDES. I GRILLED THIS MEAT ON THE INDRECT SIDE FOR ABOUT 1/2 HOUR AND THEN PLACED IT ON THE DIRECT SIDE UNTIL IT REACHED AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF AROUND 155F AS MY WIFE WILL ONLY EAT BEEF VERY WELL DONE. IF I WAS THE ONLY EATER I WILL GRILL-IT TO AROUND 140F. FOR THIS HUNK OF BEEF I PAID AROUND $15 AND TURNED=OUT VERY TENDER.

MY METHOD IN GRILLING THE CORN-ON-THE-COB: Soak-The-Corn in Cold Water for 1/2 hour and THEN WRAP IN ALUMINUM FOIL WITH SOME WHITE WINE AND S&P AND THEN PLACED ON THE DIRECT SIDE OF THE GRILL FOR AROUND 45 MINUTES TURNING 1/4 EVERY 10 MINUTES. I THEN REMOVE THE FOIL AND GRILL FOR ANOTHER 15 MINUTES OR SO TO GET THOSE TASTY-LOOKING GRILL MARKS.

I FILLED THE LARGE WEBER CHIMNEY 3/4 FULL OF KINGSFORD CHARCOAL AND WAS ABLE TO MAINTAIN A GRILLING TEMPERATURE OF AROUND 500F FOR THE DURATION OF THIS COOK OF AROUND 1 1/4 HOURS.

Last edited:
RICH: MY COSTA RICAN WIFE PREPARES A ARGENTINA-TYPE CHIMI-CHURI AND ONCE PLACED ON MY WEBER PEFORMER DELUXE GIRLL I ADD SOME LAWRYS SEASONED SALT ON BOTH SIDES. I GRILLED THIS MEAT ON THE INDRECT SIDE FOR ABOUT 1/2 HOUR AND THEN PLACED IT ON THE DIRECT SIDE UNTIL IT REACHED AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OF AROUND 155F AS MY WIFE WILL ONLY EAT BEEF VERY WELL DONE. IF I WAS THE ONLY EATER I WILL GRILL-IT TO AROUND 140F. FOR THIS HUNK OF BEEF I PAID AROUND $15 AND TURNED=OUT VERY TENDER.
Thanks, Richard! Sounds delish!

R

Your wife sounds like mine. Makes me cry what I have to do to nice proteins. Even tuna has to be cooked until unrecognizable. For the record though I consider 140 on beef way over done as well LOL. Tenderloin especially I won't take beyond 120 on the heat (usually lower). Rest (sometimes with my own special Italian style chimichurri).

Tony, thats really good I almost dropped a whole handful of mashed potatoes and gravy!

My wife insists that I ruin every piece of beef I cook for her, I can hear myself crying inside every time I do that to a fine piece of beef.

Richard, that really looks wonderful, I have been skipping the foil on my corn and simply throwing the whole thing on in husk and then peeling to finish bare for the charred fun. I’m ready for local corn!

Forgot to add that the purchase of my Weber Performer Deluxe here in Costa Rica in January, 2020 was the premier addition to my BBQ Arsenal as it consistently turns-out easy great Grilling sessions. Also, the purchase of the SlowNSear Plus and Drip pan was also a great addition.

Many thanx to all who replied to this thread!

Looks good, Richard! I'm not familiar with Costa Rican cuisine.....are there some unique spices/ingredients in there? Would love to know more about your marinade and/or rub.

R
My Costa Rican Wife's simple Chimi-Churi which she also uses as a overnight marinade for pork and chicken and of course Costa Rican Chorizo from a small local meat Stand:

Fresh Parsley or Cilantro(Pronounced Culantro here in Costa Rica)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Plenty of Fresh Garlic

As for the grilled Veggies: Corn-on-the-cob and Yuca Plant, Eggplant from the Sunday Farmers Market.

Sometimes we marinate with the Costa Rican "Lizano Brand Salsa".

When the meat/chicken is grilling I like to squirt every 15 minutes or so a equal mix of Orange Juice and Teriyaki Sauce.

My Costa Rican Wife's simple Chimi-Churi which she also uses as a overnight marinade for pork and chicken and of course Costa Rican Chorizo from a small local meat Stand:

Fresh Parsley or Cilantro(Pronounced Culantro here in Costa Rica)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Plenty of Fresh Garlic

As for the grilled Veggies: Corn-on-the-cob and Yuca Plant, Eggplant from the Sunday Farmers Market.

Sometimes we marinate with the Costa Rican "Lizano Brand Salsa".

When the meat/chicken is grilling I like to squirt every 15 minutes or so a equal mix of Orange Juice and Teriyaki Sauce.
Thanks, Richard!

My sister in law brought me back some Lizano sauce when they went to Costa Rica, what a delightful sauce!
I think I’m going to see if I can find some.

View attachment 50543
Richard, this is what we call CULANTRO here in the US. I have grown it many times and like it very much.
Joan: Thanx for the reply and viewing the above photo it looks-like what they call down-here "Coyote Culantro" and the other type my wife uses more often is called "Castilla Culantro" as the "Coyote" is somewhat more "stiff" but which she does use in a Costa Rican Stew called "OLLA DE CARNE" which is a mix of Costa Rican Beef and Veggies. How do you use your "Cilantro"?

Last edited:
1652281617382.png
Richard, this is what we call "Cilantro", leaves from the Coriander plant. A cousin of the Culantro plant.

We used to cook whole chickens with the Culantro leaves draped over them. Also used it chopped up in salsa's, and a lot of other very good dishes. We both love Culantro and Cilantro very much and use as often as we can. I have a few recipes using Culantro, but a whole lot of recipes using Cilantro.

I can get Culantro at the Mexican market and I use it in the same recipes as Cilantro that I can get at the local grocery store. I truly like Culantro better, but don't always get to make the run to check he local Mexican market.

Back