Cornell Chicken for the fall weather

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
Fall is here in the Pacific Northwest and I still had Cornell Chicken on my bucket list...no longer.

Early in the week I was up toward Eugene and I want to share a picture of the fall colors on the Willamette river.

IMAG0794_zpsb796624f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I marinated the chicken over night and got it on the grill to have for dinner.

IMAG0798_zpse6026bf4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

With the chicken on it was time to open a beer and enjoy the colors from my backyard.

IMAG0796_zpsa4b2f32f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I basted and turned the chicken every 10 minutes. Another picture from the backyard.

IMAG0801_zps09b393c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chicken is getting close to being done. After the internal temp hit 150 I stopped basting and started cooking direct....about ready to go direct.

IMAG0805_zpsb44827f2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chicken is staying warm as I cook up the tatters, peppers and onions.

IMAG0807_zpsdba9b593.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is your plate....enjoy!

IMAG0814_zpsa3593a7e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

It really has been a gorgeous couple of weeks in the NW... Thanks for sharing the pics – The chicken looks like it came out well!

The weather here in mass has been Stellar this fall , but our color is lagging behind oregon's , apparently.!
beautiful views .... You got a real nice spot to live in there , for sure.
Well , your chicken is almost as pretty as your back yard! Wow. That must've been delicious. I have not done Cornell chicken yet , myself , but this reminds me I have to do it soon.

Edit:

and BTW , what was your impression of the Cornell flavor? Everyone says its great , but can you tell what sets it apart from chicken , say , marinated in Italian dressing?

Last edited:
Beautiful fall colors James; your chicken and ci cook look great! I was in Sacramento over the weekend and those wonderful colors haven't made their way here as yet. I've got a couple of older, large coastal oaks in front of our house and it never changes its colors.

Fantastic colors and pictures (food and scenery) and it looks like you nailed the cornell chicken. I've not grilled this yet but I must do so soon.

Edit:

and BTW , what was your impression of the Cornell flavor? Everyone says its great , but can you tell what sets it apart from chicken , say , marinated in Italian dressing?

Frank, my impression of the Cornell was very flavorful, however a few weeks ago I did the Roadside Chicken and I thought that was more flavorful. It is my impression that the purpose of the Cornell recipe is to get a crispy skin, hence the egg in the marinate. With the Cornell recipe you add your own seasoning so each batch is or could be different. I haven't marinated chicken in Italian dressing for years, but it used to be my go to...no longer. I hope this answers your question.

Beautiful pictures James glad to see you took that off your bucket list. I still have to make Cornell chicken.
The weather here in so cal has been warm but I like it...

Frank, my impression of the Cornell was very flavorful, however a few weeks ago I did the Roadside Chicken and I thought that was more flavorful. It is my impression that the purpose of the Cornell recipe is to get a crispy skin, hence the egg in the marinate. With the Cornell recipe you add your own seasoning so each batch is or could be different. I haven't marinated chicken in Italian dressing for years, but it used to be my go to...no longer. I hope this answers your question.

I hear ya....thanks.

James, your Cornell chicken looks perfect, just like the views from your yard. Here in Northern Illinois
we are getting the cooler Fall temps, and guess that our trees should be in good color by this coming weekend.

Back