Corn On The Cob

Brenda T

TVWBB All-Star
I love corn on the cob and IMO there is nothing like sweet YELLOW. For some reason I've had trouble finding it the last few years. I will respond to an ad for sweet yellow corn and am almost always disappointed to find bi- colored corn.

But yesterday I was happy to find yellow at our local WM. So I just finished shucking and cleaning a few ears for the freezer. I haven't done this before but I've heard corn on the cob freezes well.

I didn't vacuum seal because I fully expect it all to be gone in a few weeks.
In fact some of it has a date with Roadside Chicken and Homemade Ice Cream later this month.😊
20240704_122155.jpg

Still waiting for the Illini sweet to come in.]I've frozen it unshucked in brown paper bags. works good.
Couple of the farms around me here are showing it available. I won't eat any of it unless it comes from our local growers here. One I REALLY love is right here in Cherry Valley (Blackmer Farms). The other is TJ's Market on Genoa Rd in Belvidere Just south of the Tollway

Couple of the farms around me here are showing it available. I won't eat any of it unless it comes from our local growers here. One I REALLY love is right here in Cherry Valley (Blackmer Farms). The other is TJ's Market on Genoa Rd in Belvidere Just south of the Tollway
Driving over to Dixon tomorrow to visit the SIL. I'm gonna check a few of those farmstands.
The fields around here are getting close.

One I REALLY love is right here in Cherry Valley (Blackmer Farms).
Do they run the stand at the corner of State and Cherry? Or are they somewhere else? I'm visiting my mom on Saturday and wouldn't mind picking up some corn, since our local crop doesn't seem to be ready yet.

EDIT: So literally just 2 minutes after I first posted this, my daughter texted me to ask if I wanted her to bring over some corn tonight. I asked her where it was from and she told me that it's grocery store corn, so I told her that no, I'll wait until the local stuff is available.

She then called me a "corn snob".:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Still waiting for the Illini sweet to come in.]I've frozen it unshucked in brown paper bags. works good.

I've heard of that - will try it next.
And the corn from your farmers - and Larry's - will be
Yellow?
There are many farms all over the state that sell their
"famous yellow" corn at roadside stands. I tell them what I'm looking for and they say "yes that's what this is". Apparently I present as a blind person. 🙄😆

Dont get me wrong. I will eat and enjoy bicolor corn.
But it's just not the same. Sigh

I've heard that extremely young field corn is supposed to be surprisingly good, because the sugars haven't yet converted to starches.

I'm going to have to pay closer attention to who sells what this summer. I see all 3 types (yellow, bicolor, white) but have never really given it much thought.

And just real butter and salt for mine, please.

I love corn on the cob and IMO there is nothing like sweet YELLOW. For some reason I've had trouble finding it the last few years. I will respond to an ad for sweet yellow corn and am almost always disappointed to find bi- colored corn.

But yesterday I was happy to find yellow at our local WM. So I just finished shucking and cleaning a few ears for the freezer. I haven't done this before but I've heard corn on the cob freezes well.

I didn't vacuum seal because I fully expect it all to be gone in a few weeks.
In fact some of it has a date with Roadside Chicken and Homemade Ice Cream later this month.😊
View attachment 95032
Nice looking corn!

I picked up a couple of good looking ears at WM this AM. They were bi-colored. Probably what's best depends on where it's coming from. Here in the west, white s usually the sweetest.

You're missing out with the Bi-Color. Blackmer's is OUTSTANDING and so is TJ's
Brad, Blackmer's runs the stand on State and Cherry, they also sometimes have one on Mulford way south between Baxter and Blackhawk and they also have one on corner of Blood's Point and Cherry Valley Blacktop. Love their corn. No pesticides or chemicals. I just trim the bottoms and the silks off the top, put the whole shebang on hot grill until everything is a bit on the black side (husks). Peel, take the silks off and good butter/salt. Nothing more is needed. You'll need to see the dentist it's so sweet.

She then called me a "corn snob".:ROFLMAO:
😂

Brentwood is famous for two things:

1). U-Pick Cherries
2). Brentwood sweet corn 🌽

The first harvest was complete in the last two weeks. I get my Sweet corn from Peace Family Farms which is funny because the owner is someone I’ve known for 55 years. When I was 10, he was quitting his paper route and I got it. He didn’t think I could handle the route being only 10, but I grew that route from 50 papers to nearly 200. I could write a book about that paper route, I have some great stories in the nearly 9 years that I had it

Couple of the farms around me here are showing it available. I won't eat any of it unless it comes from our local growers here. One I REALLY love is right here in Cherry Valley (Blackmer Farms). The other is TJ's Market on Genoa Rd in Belvidere Just south of the Tollwa

There's a local grower with an outstanding supersweet variety (don't know what it is,) mono color, and good enough to eat right after being shucked. We really like it grilled over charcoal, just shucked and long enough to get a light Maillard color on 4 sides. The growers retired a couple of years back, and sold it to the FFA chapter, who's continuing to run the business.

The local sweet white corn in NJ is to die for. Yellow is good too, but when the white is in season it's the only corn I will eat.
I've tried blanching it and freezing for Thanksgiving but it's like mush when cooked.

😂

Brentwood is famous for two things:

1). U-Pick Cherries
2). Brentwood sweet corn 🌽

The first harvest was complete in the last two weeks. I get my Sweet corn from Peace Family Farms which is funny because the owner is someone I’ve known for 55 years. When I was 10, he was quitting his paper route and I got it. He didn’t think I could handle the route being only 10, but I grew that route from 50 papers to nearly 200. I could write a book about that paper route, I have some great stories in the nearly 9 years that I had it
Another great place for corn and a bunch of other fresh veggies is Davis Ranch in Sloughhouse, CA. Miss the fresh produce in CA.

Back