Cord Cutters - - - -

We've have Netflix (streaming & DVDs), and Amazon Prime. I use Netflix mainly for classics (DVDs) and documentaries. Amazon Prime has some old TV shows so we started watching Perry Mason. There were nine seasons of PM, but Prime only had five. But not really. Prime omitted shows from each season after the first season: 3 from S2, 4 from S3, 9 from S4, 14 from S5. I ended up buying the box set. Not so happy with Prime. We're paying for it, might as well use it.

We also are trying AcornTV because She likes British mysteries and AcornTV has lots of those. We're in the middle of the one month trial for $4.99/mo and just got a notice that the price is going up in July to $5.99/mo. (what?)

We also have a Roku which puts Netflix and things on the big screen, and Kodi for streaming movies from the LAN. We can get whatever free stuff is available on them. Not much of interest there though. No OTA.

I get it the only sports I like is Formula One, Moto GP type racing. I watch some OTA but high winds will trash that. I have never cut the cord and I have no major news channels at all except local for weather. I like old stuff ,movies,westerns mostly.

I hung a Channel Master outdoor antenna in the attic. But I'm within 14 miles of every local station's broadcast antenna.

But a lot of evenings are like this evening, I grilled flanken cut beef ribs for taco meat, we had margaritas and Modelo with our carne asada tacos , and have Amazon Music on the TV playing through my vintage stereo.

I'm reaching the point that I don't need a lot of TV.

We have Netflix and Amazon Prime for movies and kid's shows.

Also have SlingTV Blue package with a few of the extra bundles. My father has "normal" TV and I can use his login on some of the apps like ESPN to view channels we do not get.

I also have something called Locast. It's only $5/month and it gives you all of the local channels plus a lot of extra random channels we do not really watch. Very nice quality. It's actually free, but paying $5/month lets you watch without having to watch Locast advertisements. It basically gives you ALL the channels you'd be able to pickup over the air (OTA) with an antenna, but without having to fool with an antenna.

Well, my YouTube TV is soon going up $15 mo a month. It seems people were asking for more channels. Well, it will cost Google money to get the license to broadcast them. And of course they are going to pass that on to the consumer. I may have to start looking for a different service again. The point was to save money by ditching cable. But Google is right there with them in price for the TV service now.

I was amazed how far I could cut my streaming bill by not needing ESPN and CNBC.

I tell ya men, they're hijacking us on this sports programming. And I really feel for the people who are not sports fans have to pay for ESPN because its in their cable/streaming bundle.

And its all about the huge sums of money ESPN and others are paying for live sports programming. Something that people can not watch on demand and can't / won't FF through commercials.

I've been an early adopter of YouTube since day one, but after getting my letter and reading the $15 increase its time. Going to Sling Blue-they do have a sports package for $10 if I want to continue to Golf Channel, but we'll see. I can reduce my outlay by $35 a month which is huge. Watching less sports anyway particularly now, and you're right Lynn ESPN isn't worth it. Netflix will be great this summer to avoid all the political BS. Kyle, dropped Prime as I wasn't using it really, not worth the $$. Will also leave time for reading and more music!

Ya, I have loved Youtube tv but the increase is them just turning into another cable company. I am exploring how I can leave them now.

When I'm watching broadcast TV it's mostly using an antenna. I really don't watch any sports. My biggest problem is I can share the YouTube TV account with a few people. So I have it mostly because my Mother-in-law is stuck at home by herself with little to do. So I set her up with a Roku and signed into various services for her. She mostly uses YouTube TV app because it's like having cable for her. If it wasn't for that I don't think I would even miss it if it were gone. Everyone else has n my house mostly uses the other streaming apps we have.

With Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+ and regular YouTube it would be weeks before people in my house noticed it was missing of I shut it off. And since my mother-in-law has access too all those through the Roku I got her she may just have to go without YouTube TV.

I can't even blame the pandemic for my lack of sports viewing. I used to love and watch so many. The CART/IRL debacle ruined indy cars (I had been to the 500 a few times). Too much tech and money ruined F1. Baseball went from 2.5 hours to 4 hours for a game; see ya! College football did the same thing; those games are 4-4.5 hours. I follow the NFL, but rarely sit down to watch an entire game. I love hockey. I had the NHL online package for a few years. But when my team moved from the western conf. to the east, (the vast majority of games start at 4-4:30 pacific time) I cancelled. I'll watch NBA playoffs, but that's about it.

Joining this thread late. Got VERY tired of the constant rate increases from 14 years as a DirecTV customer. Got GOOD internet and went to DirecTVNow for a bit. And price of that kept going up so that's gone as well.
I've got a lot of different services right now, all-in is still less than the DirecTV was.
Hulu ad-free ($+ Disney+ for $1)
Netflix ($)
Amazon Prime ($, but mostly for the free shipping)
CBS All Access ($)
PlutoTV (free, lots of stuff playing and on-demand)
Tubi (free)
Also have an aerial on the roof for OTA programming and a FireTV Recast as a DVR on it.

Not sure what people in some of these services like YouTube. They cost more than I pay XFinity!

Not sure what people in some of these services like YouTube. They cost more than I pay XFinity!
It was about $20 per month cheaper than the Xfinity bundle I had. And far cheaper than paying for two cable packages in separate houses. Not including equipment fees. The upside is you can share one account with a few users, so I'm able to get pay TV in more than one house for one fee instead of two. And that gives my mother-in-law one more thing to do while being stuck at home by herself. Her fixed income doesn't allow for any luxury's. She is in the "at risk" group and that kind of isolates her.

Just buy a ROKU and install the XFinity APP on it. You can then use other TVs watching Xfnity with it. If you have their DVR you can even watch your recorded shows remotely wherever you are even on your phone computer or tablet.

Just buy a ROKU and install the XFinity APP on it. You can then use other TVs watching Xfnity with it. If you have their DVR you can even watch your recorded shows remotely wherever you are even on your phone computer or tablet.
I did that first. Xfinity wouldn't let me sign in at her house because it wasn't on the same network as my house. I can use it on multiple screens for n my house but it gave me issues when I tried to use it at her house. So I cancelled it and did YouTube TV. And YouTube TV seem to be more flexible with the accounts and keeping them separated.she doesn't see what I'm watching and recording and I don't see what she's watching and recording unless we choose to go and sign end to the others account.

Back