Cooking the ribs from prime rib separate - Finish temp?

Sean R

TVWBB Member
Got a prime rib to cook up tomorrow, and its definitely going to be more meat then we need.
Since I am cooking it on a grate in the smoker, I'm not too worried about keeping it up off the pan... So I am gonna cook up the bones and meat between them tonight.

Should I be be cooking them like they were ribs, looking for them to just about pull off the bone, or should I be cooking them like a steak and pulling them at a lower temp?

I say like a steak. I know that beef ribs can be tough and greasy from my first experiences long ago, but I've had some I called steak with a handle. I'll watch the follow up to see :)

I say like a steak. I know that beef ribs can be tough and greasy from my first experiences long ago, but I've had some I called steak with a handle. I'll watch the follow up to see :)

Man I have been trying to google around, and its just impossible to find. As soon as you say prime rib its just about standing rib roasts.

I am leaning towards Ribs... The one example I have found on cooking them separate was the stokedonsmoke video on youtube, he said he pulled about an hour after the roast was done. That sounds almost in between though, lol.

I always wanted to be an astronaut... to blaze new ground... I guess this is just as good.

edit: I dunno. I think I put them on around 6pm. Pulled them @ 140 and let them rest for ~20 min... When cutting into them the fat was no were near rendered out. Very very fatty, to the point where you couldn't really work around it. The small chunks of meat I was able to cut out were tender as hell and very good though. Still, almost more fat then meat and only little pockets of meat... So I threw back on. Pulled late 11 oclock hour, and much better wrt fat. Still a bit fatty but but manageable. Meat was still tender as hell, but was better the first time I cooked it.

Last edited:
I too found the ribs too rich/fatty to eat on their own- they looked and smelt fantastic. (Cooked low and slow/smoked in the Mini WSM)

To save the situation I took the meat off the bone, removed the fat, and made a ragu -absolutly superb.

Back