Cooking Pork and Beef at the same time, can one drip on the other safely?

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
I want to do a chuck roast and ribs soon, but I know cross contamination is always a concern. However the WSM's grates are stacked one directly over the other. is this a concern if i'm doing a chuck roast on one level and ribs on the other? Also is there a preferred setup, should the ribs be on the top rack if it's okay to do, or vice versa? Obviously with poultry it's a no-no but i always assumed Pork and Beef would be fine together. Thanks in advance.

I want to do a chuck roast and ribs soon, but I know cross contamination is always a concern. However the WSM's grates are stacked one directly over the other. is this a concern if i'm doing a chuck roast on one level and ribs on the other? Also is there a preferred setup, should the ribs be on the top rack if it's okay to do, or vice versa? Obviously with poultry it's a no-no but i always assumed Pork and Beef would be fine together. Thanks in advance.

i'm not sure why you are worried with cross contamination, even with a poultry. if you put both meats on at the same time, even if it drips on another in the early stages, you are cooking everything WAY past any concern of bacteria still being alive.

the ONLY way this would be a concern is for whatever reason you had a rack a ribs that was ready to be taken off on the second rack. 30mins before you remove them to eat them, you put a raw chicken on the rack above it, and let it drip down on the ribs that are ready to be eaten. i have no idea why you would do that though...

Back