cooking on covered patio - bad idea?

Phillip Moore

TVWBB Member
I've just moved to a new house and I have a fairly large covered patio. One little section of it is uncovered in the corner and I was considering putting the WSM there for cooks. The cooker would be exposed to sky right there but if I was standing in front of it it, I would be partially covered.

Is cooking under partial cover going to be safe? The patio ceilings are pretty high, like 12' and are wood I have no concern really for anything catching fire (the floor is tile on cement foundation), my concern is with smoke damage to the wood ceiling. The area is pretty well ventilated though. i'm likely to just give it a try, but thought I would see if anyone had bad experiences cooking under cover.

Thanks!
Phillip

Absolutely! I wouldn't hesitate. That's going to be perfect. I smoke in my garage which has a 10 or 12 foot wood ceiling and I've grilled and smoked under it for years with no issue. You should have perfect ventilation , shelter from the rain , and I don't believe you'll notice any discoloration from the smoke. I think you're gonna love that spot. Good luck.

Last edited:
I have a 2' aluminum overhang on the back of the house which does get some smoke residue when I grill or smoke under it' but that's at about a 7' height.
I would agree with Frank as far as no worries, but if you could add a few pics of that area for us to check out, that might show something to watch out for.

Tim

You shouldn't have any problems at all. I sometimes run my WSM under our walkway and it is painted bright white and no issues at all.

Good to know that it has worked ok for others. I have to smoke 4 chuck roasts Friday, and there is a high chance of rain.

I may have to pull the smoker just under the covered part of the patio.

I'm like Frank, I smoke in the garage without any issues. Haven't tried an overnighter yet but have been considering. You should be fine.

I also had a covered patio. The only problem I had is during the summer if the back door was open the smoke detector in the hallway about 8 feet in would get all excited even though there didn't appear to be any smoke going in I could see. Our new home has a covered patio with the back and one side open so when it warms up I'll have to see how this one will work, at least there are no smokies close to the door here.

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance. I will post a pic when I get the arrangement setup. I'm so looking forward to cooking out there. I have a built in gas grill now, a fridge and a sink and some counter space. I've always done my cooking with charcoal but I'll figure out something to do with the gas grill. :)

Back