Cook time for small chuck roast?

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
Just got back from Fresh Market and our family Super Bowl shopping trip. Figured I was going to have to make a side trip to Costco for the meat, but FM had baby backs on sale for $3.99 per pound so I went ahead and got them there.

I also noticed that they had some good looking small chuck roasts that caught my eye. I have not done any chuck in the WSM yet. I got a 2.82 pounder.

What should I expect for cook time at about 230 degrees? Should I expect about 1.5 - 2 hours per pound like a butt?

Lee,

I am doing the same thing tonight along with some pork butts. Beef tends to take a little longer than the pork and a good rule to thumb is more like 2-3 hrs per pound. I like to foil them after they hit about 165-170 and add some beef broth. Then do them until your probe slides in without resistance, like you would with a brisket.

Good luck.

Bob

At 230º, you will be looking at about 9 hours (3 hrs per pound). Go up to about 260º and plan on about 2.5 hrs' per pound. As Bob indicated, foil (with some broth) about 2/3's the way through. Enjoy!

I have to try this!!! Look at this!!!

chuckroast4.JPG

Back