Converting Weber Q to charcoal

Smokey Joe and a grate? Freakin' brilliant.

I just did a few tenderloins and asparagus on a 22".

Clearly, I wasn't thinking like this guy.

If you are just after some good char and can't get a Weber Char Q (hey we never will in Australia) a Smokey joe and a baby Q/Q100 full grate gets a pretty nice result as a a poor man's char q.

No lids / just charcoal and cast iron / Very hot - coals up close to grate but gets a good sear

View attachment 48461

View attachment 48462
Great idea. But most times I just want to have that particular model. I have a lodge sportsman grill and I use that grate on my charcoal go anywhere. But for sure I'll remember this. Thanks ?

Great idea. But most times I just want to have that particular model. I have a lodge sportsman grill and I use that grate on my charcoal go anywhere. But for sure I'll remember this. Thanks ?
Thanks - would love to get my hands on the real thing (a Char Q) too but being in AU unfortunately not really possible!

I can't imagine what it would cost to package up a used CharQ and ship it to Australia! That doesn't stop some of your country mates from having very expensive antique Weber kettles sent to Australia.

CharQs don't come up a lot here, but they can be found. I wish we could help you fulfill your wish for one.

I can't imagine what it would cost to package up a used CharQ and ship it to Australia! That doesn't stop some of your country mates from having very expensive antique Weber kettles sent to Australia.

CharQs don't come up a lot here, but they can be found. I wish we could help you fulfill your wish for one.
Thanks Jon - yeah we like to buy abroad and pop it on the ship/plane to get it back (mainly kettles) but yes its not cheap! Will keep my eye out

That's a new one.

I wonder if a guy might not have better luck converting a Q3xx grill to charcoal. I still think the lack of adjustable air vents and lid design makes it dicey at best, but at least you could get more coal and have it a bit further away from the cooking grate in a Q3xx than a Q2xx.
Still have the issue of the leg attachment areas getting to hot and melting. Thus my suggestion of a metal leg frame. Fun thinking up all this stuff !

George. that might be an issue, but since the original CharQ is basically the same as a Q200, I would assume a converted Q gass grill would be able to handle it if it was done similar to the CharQ. But, I just don't really think converting gas Q's to coal is a good idea for a lot of other reasons besides the possibility of overheating the frame.

Converted an old banged up spare Baby Q that had lying around - removed the gas element and just put coals in a tray to the side to have 2 zones (but later on added an extra foil tray of coals beside it).

Didn't drill any holes or anything - airflow seemed ok inside - all stayed alight and hot. Fired up some wings and chicken burgers for a quick test and they came out well - with a good smokey/charcoal taste.

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG

Last edited:
Well, it looks good. Did the coal burn well. I think they might benefit from some venting in the bottom of the aluminum pans.

Well, it looks good. Did the coal burn well. I think they might benefit from some venting in the bottom of the aluminum pans.
Yes in the end - I had reservations as well but it came out fine. Next time will punch some holes in the foil tray to get some more airflow or source a suitably sized wire tray/basket

Looks like you had some great results, Christo! Are you thinking in terms of a dual fuel Q1xxx or a permanent coal burner conversion?

Looks like you had some great results, Christo! Are you thinking in terms of a dual fuel Q1xxx or a permanent coal burner conversion?
Ideally as a dual fuel Q1xxxx - then you can have a small portable gas and charcoal grill.

I experimented by putting a cut up foil tray over the burners to protect them and then coals can sit on top and it seemed to work. There isn't much space though from coal to grate when you leave the burners in as others have mentioned - On a Q3X or Q2X may be more room.
IMG_4392 (1)d.jpg

That said if not when coals are put lower down with gas pipe removed happy to just have it as a permanent coal burner (with the bonus of a cast iron grate).

Last edited:
Well, looks like it can be done easily. Just long term use can tell. For sure I dont think filling it up with coals will be ideal. I have not seen the chart leg setup so have no way of judging that. As long as the coal use is used at a moderate level, I think it should be just fine.

Well, looks like it can be done easily. Just long term use can tell. For sure I dont think filling it up with coals will be ideal. I have not seen the chart leg setup so have no way of judging that. As long as the coal use is used at a moderate level, I think it should be just fine.
Yep - its easy enough. Will give it a few more runs. Also I didn't have this on a Weber cart - yeah would be wary of the heat its pushing out. I'll also keep my eyes out for a split baby q grill plate as refilling the coals is a bit fiddly with the large single grate

Back