Convert Q Series from NG to Propane

Chris-Freehold

Hello,

Brand new on this forum. I hope somebody can provide some advice for a conversion of Q 3200 grill that I found online for a deal I could not turn down. It is complete for NatGas and I would prefer to convert to propane and make it a portable grill (small propane tank). It came with a cart and I may one day create a line for NG so I was hoping to make a conversion that could be swapped back at a later date.

I didn't dig to deep, but it looks like the larger grills are a replacement of the screw in orifice valves to smaller ones, a compatible hose and modification of the air entry "vents" to allow more air to mix with the propane. the Q grill might be same, but I don't see that same option to adjust the air entering and don't know if there are orifice jets that are replaceable.

Thanks

Oh oh, here we go again.

Chris: There is a lot of controversy and misinformation going around about converting from NG to LP and vice versa.
I am not sure I have heard about switching the Q3xx grills however. The forum owner is in the process of putting together a comprehensive how to on the process....maybe adding the Q grills to it would be a good idea. But, in the mean time, some one here might be able to lend you some advice and direction. I won't try, since it is complicated if you are not familiar with valves, orifices and connections.

But, the easiest remedy would be to find an entire regulator and valve from a donor grill to swap over. Also, keep in mind, these grills were never intended to be "portable". You cannot just lift them off the stand and if you do, they don't have built in legs to sit down somewhere else.. And when you talk about a "small portable tank", if you mean the disposable 1lb tanks, then that not only would be a complicated modification but also a very troublesome one. The Q3xx grills would eat up those one lb cylinders pretty quick. A 5 lb refillable one would be the smallest I would ever consider.

Hello,

Brand new on this forum. I hope somebody can provide some advice for a conversion of Q 3200 grill that I found online for a deal I could not turn down. It is complete for NatGas and I would prefer to convert to propane and make it a portable grill (small propane tank). It came with a cart and I may one day create a line for NG so I was hoping to make a conversion that could be swapped back at a later date.

I didn't dig to deep, but it looks like the larger grills are a replacement of the screw in orifice valves to smaller ones, a compatible hose and modification of the air entry "vents" to allow more air to mix with the propane. the Q grill might be same, but I don't see that same option to adjust the air entering and don't know if there are orifice jets that are replaceable.

Thanks
Hi Chris, you would need to get a propane manifold assembly to make the conversion in my opinion. Here is a link - https://www.grillparts.com/weber/q300.asp?product_id=80390

That is the thing. It is not really a "portable" model. Sure you can transport it, but it would be about the same as transporting a Genesis grill, just a bit lighter is all.

I would say you got a very nice grill, but not the one you seem to be wanting. The big Q isn't meant to be portable or to use with the small propane canisters. It was designed to offer someone who likes the benefits of the Q design (all aluminum firebox and lid, glass infused plastic frame - thus almost rust free and very easy to clean) a bigger stay at home alternative.

I am not saying you can't make it work somehow, but I think what you really want is a Q2200. You can get a cart for it that LOOKS like the bigger 3200 but you can readily lift your 2200 out of that type of cart to use it as a truly portable grill. While sitting on your deck in the cart you can have it hooked up to a 20lb tank with a simple hose adapter. The best of both worlds.

I think your best option may be to set this one aside for the day that you add a NG source and look for what you really need for right now, rather than trying to make this into something else. You mention that you didn't dig too deep, and that's a very common situation with people that want to do conversions. I know nothing about the Q series, but typically there are other things like a tank holder or a fuel level scale that you won't have with a NG to LPG conversion...maybe that's not a dealbreaker, but you might find yourself putting more money into this than you expected and it still doesn't work right. It happens.

We are at the end of summer and grills are being clearanced at the big box stores, so there is a fair chance the grill of your dreams will show up for sale in the next few weeks as people retire their old equipment in favor of new. Do your digging, bide your time, and keep your eyes open for the next month or so and see what happens. Good luck, and enjoy the hunt!

thanks for the replies. I liked the look of the Q series and was looking for a camping/tailgating grill. When someone is practically giving it away, I don't over think it. Can this grill only be used in the stand or is it possible to put this grill on a surface like a wooden picnic table? Sorry for the ignorance, but haven't had any time with it yet.

Actually though not easy it can be taken off and used away from the stand. I have done it with my own. The NG thing is a VERY rare bird indeed though. Also as has been said trying to use it on those little baby bottle LP tanks is useless. BTU flow is a little too great for a small bottle and you would have ice up in short order which would choke off flow. Smallest I would recommend is 5lb tank. I don't know if the orifices on a Q3xx is removable or not. If it is, thanks to the type of valve it could be switched and work fine. But the safest bet (especially if you're not trained in how to deal with flammable gasses) is to simply buy a complete control assembly as noted. Then you could run on whatever you wish

I have an older Q320 and it can't be removed from the stand / frame. It does not have legs to stand on by itself.
Maybe the newer ones have legs, I'm not sure.

Kyle,
Are you sure? I believe if you look underneath you will see 4 mounting bolts that hold the plastic cradle frame that is attached to the bottom of the grill to the main lower frame. I am not saying they are specifically designed to serve as "legs" but I think they will allow you to do as Larry says. I am basing this on the two 300 series grills that I redid shortly before leaving Florida.

Yeah mine is a quite old 320 and it's fairly easy to remove and I have done so. Then simply brought a longer regulator hose with me, set it on a picnic table and cooked away. BTW was just doing a little further renovation work on the Q300 I am giving to my daughter. Noted flame was a little "weak" on the surround burner. Took the orifices out. Gotta be CAREFUL doing this. Lots of corrosion. Damn near welded in. Had to use an adjustable wrench on the tube mount to hold it while trying to unscrew the orifices. Take it SLOOOOOW and careful. Cleaned things out, a TINY dab of Never Seize on the threads on reassembly and all is well again

Just an idea, but you could always clean that one up and flip it, then keep your eyes out for a LP one.

A friend of mine and I were just chatting about how straight forward the Q flips are relative to other grills on here. Replacing the burner, ignitor, even the grates will still cost you under $100 and around where I am, they can be sold for more than that relatively easily. @JimV

Just an idea, but you could always clean that one up and flip it, then keep your eyes out for a LP one.

A friend of mine and I were just chatting about how straight forward the Q flips are relative to other grills on here. Replacing the burner, ignitor, even the grates will still cost you under $100 and around where I am, they can be sold for more than that relatively easily. @JimV
In Atlanta area you can barely get $125 for a rehabbed Q220 with a freshly painted lid. Not enough to be made on Q's, so I am only going to get them and fix them up for friends and family. Not worth flipping IMO. Most people don't realize how good these little cookers are.

In Atlanta area you can barely get $125 for a rehabbed Q220 with a freshly painted lid. Not enough to be made on Q's, so I am only going to get them and fix them up for friends and family. Not worth flipping IMO. Most people don't realize how good these little cookers are.

totally fair! I think rehabs for friends and family are more fun anyway!

If you are talking the Q1XX or Q2XX, I say yes. Not so much for the Q3xx as it pretty much overlaps with the Genesis and doesn't offer the portability. The smaller Q grills are great for side cooks when you have a bunch of steaks on the Genesis, you can do some Asparagus or corn, or some other dish that requires different heat settings so you can cook both simultaneously. Also, when you are just cooking for one or two, it is nice to not have to fire up the big Genesis for one or two Cheeseburgers. Then, you can take the Q1xx or Q2xx to a picnic or tailgating where the Q3xx isn't nearly as portable.

That being said, having a Q3xx and Genesis isn't a bad thing either. I have a Genesis Q2xx and Q1xx and I am going to press one of my Q3xx grills into service for my daughter and SIL who are currently living at home with us.

I know Larry has a Genesis and a much bigger Wolf grill as well as a Q3xx and uses them all.
The above is just my rambling thoughts on the pros and cons of the grills. But, yah, I definitely think that if you like to grill, having a Q side kick is a worthy idea.

The Q3xx makes a nice garage queen. On those inclement days (rain pouring down, snow, brutal cold and high wind) and you just gotta grill a nice steak or such and doing it indoors on a fake grill pan just won't do. I put a fan in the garage window, a lawn chair, and if need be my garage heater set up in there, along with a delightful beverage. While it's not summer time grilling at least it's grilling and the Q3xxx is more versatile than the smaller ones. I don't really much care about portability as IMO camping is sleeping with the hotel room window open. I don't much care for it otherwise. So yes there is a case for owning a smaller grill whether a Q or finding an older 2 burner Silver A or such

Back