Controlling temperatures on my Weber Performer

Andrew16

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here might have some knowledge on controlling temperatures on a Weber Charcoal. When I first got my performer, I was grilling perfectly, with the exact temps I needed using a full chimney of charcoal briquettes. Recently reading, I apparently can get the same effect with only a half chimney, therefore saving A LOT of fuel.

I would let them ash over before pouring them out into a 2-zone setup. Now it seems recently for some reason I am not having that luck anymore?? It took me almost 25mins to cook just plain old burgers, and the temperature was continuously dropping. I also experimented one time with half a chimney full of fuel, which brought me up to around 350 degrees but again that didn't last long. I just find it really hard to get a very hot temp in order to sear a nice steak as an example.... Does anyone have any tips or hints on what I could try? I have both the top and bottom vents wide open all the time... I don't how people can make 3-4 course meals, or even different foods at one time, when I am having trouble to do just 1!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help here.

Andrew

Have you started doing anything differently? Did you change the type of charcoal you use?

Andrew

What type of charcoal are you using, that can make a big difference. I've attached a link which explains the different types and how they react.
I have a OTS and I use a full chimney of plain old Kingsford if doing direct and 25 coals in each basket if doing indirect and it works fine.
I'm looking forward to what the good folks here have to say as I'm cooking on my new to me performer that I got at a estate sale friday for the first time tonight.
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/charcoal-grill-or-barbecue.html

Rich

If you want higher temps you have to restrict the airflow leaving the kettle. Cut back your top vent by about 30% and see where that takes you. I get great heat with lump when I need it.

For burgers and fast cooks I always do 1 chimney full of hot coals and add a another 20-30 briquettes. I get a nice hot fire. After the cook I close all the vents and re use for the next cook.

Hi Rich,

I have been using the expensive Weber long lasting charcoal briquettes. They are pretty expensive, but I figured I will pay the price to get the results. Haven't been that happy yet.
Andrew

What type of charcoal are you using, that can make a big difference. I've attached a link which explains the different types and how they react.
I have a OTS and I use a full chimney of plain old Kingsford if doing direct and 25 coals in each basket if doing indirect and it works fine.
I'm looking forward to what the good folks here have to say as I'm cooking on my new to me performer that I got at a estate sale friday for the first time tonight.
http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/charcoal-grill-or-barbecue.html

Rich

Hi Mike,

No, I have always been using the Weber long lasting charcoal briquettes. The only thing I have tried is to use full chimneys and half chimneys.......
Have you started doing anything differently? Did you change the type of charcoal you use?

HI Gary,

Interesting you say that. I have read many articles, forums, blogs, etc, have even heard from Jamie Purviance, that you should always have the top and bottom vents open all the way when cooking. When doing the indirect method for smoking for example, then you should leave the bottom vent always open and play around only with the top vent. This is then supposed to regulate the temps.
If you want higher temps you have to restrict the airflow leaving the kettle. Cut back your top vent by about 30% and see where that takes you. I get great heat with lump when I need it.

Hi Tony,

I also normally use a full chimney, but they say that half a chimney is plenty to cook hot and quick. I use to use the charcoal from the previous cook as well, but since doing that, I noticed that when I add the previous charcoal plus a new batch, I don't get the same effect or the the temps are even worse! I assume that is because the charcoal from the previous use is already half done. So when it is added to the chimney mixed with new, it probably already dies out before I can pour out the ashed charcoal leaving me theoretically with only half a chimney of "new" hot ready charcoal.
For burgers and fast cooks I always do 1 chimney full of hot coals and add a another 20-30 briquettes. I get a nice hot fire. After the cook I close all the vents and re use for the next cook.

Andrew,

Used my performer for the first time last night and it does cook a little different than my OTS. I did a indirect setup for the roast and direct for the veggies using 30 coals on each side to start and about 8 more on each side at the 45 min mark. It held a constant 325 but the thermometer is off by almost 30 degrees found that when I did a boiling water test, so it was really 355 and that was with the top went shut by 2/3, bottom wide open. When we went to direct I added a few more coals and left the lid off for about 15 min. When I put the lid on and opened the top vent within 5 min the thermometer read 400 and still climbing so that was about 430, I closed the top by about9/10 and it dropped down to a reading of 325.
With that said the only suspect I can think of is the charcoal, maybe you got a bad batch. Wish I could be of more help. When I do steaks on the OTS I use the coal holders and put them side by side and off to the side of the grate I use about 60 coals and build a raging inferno. Plop the steaks down over the coals one min a side to get great grill marks and sear then move them over to the cool side cover on about 3 min flip once another 3 min and perfect med/rare.
If you do figure it out please let us know what it was.

Rich

HI Gary,

Interesting you say that. I have read many articles, forums, blogs, etc, have even heard from Jamie Purviance, that you should always have the top and bottom vents open all the way when cooking. When doing the indirect method for smoking for example, then you should leave the bottom vent always open and play around only with the top vent. This is then supposed to regulate the temps.
Wow what I am I doing differently and or wrong. Andrew when I use my performer I use stubbs lump then Dump some lit royal oak hardwood on top. Or I just use royal oak hardwood for steaks and burgers etc. I consistenly get really high heat. In terms of smoking, I just did some ribs and beer can chicken yesterday. I keep my top vent open or slightly closed and control my heat with the bottom vent. It is perfect and I can dial in to 350 or what ever temp I want perfectly. I thought I read that keeping the top vent closed holds in creosote, and can make the food taste bad. ????
the experienced folks here can correct me if I am wrong, but that is what has worked for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
HI Gary,

Wow what I am I doing differently and or wrong. Andrew when I use my performer I use stubbs lump then Dump some lit royal oak hardwood on top. Or I just use royal oak hardwood for steaks and burgers etc. I consistenly get really high heat. In terms of smoking, I just did some ribs and beer can chicken yesterday. I keep my top vent open or slightly closed and control my heat with the bottom vent. It is perfect and I can dial in to 350 or what ever temp I want perfectly. I thought I read that keeping the top vent closed holds in creosote, and can make the food taste bad. ????
the experienced folks here can correct me if I am wrong, but that is what has worked for me. Hope this helps.

I don't think anybody said close your top vent Regina. Sounds like you have things well in hand.
Andrew I cook multi course meals on my 26 most weekends now and I can tell you my bottom vent setting is always half open or less but it depends on what you are trying to do and how you are set up. If you are attempting pizza different story. If your are searing steaks perhaps a different setup. There are many ways to achieve 350 but my experience is an open top and bottom vent isn't one of them. As I said I use lump quite a bit. The highest temp I hit was 650 on my dome thermometer and I my top vent was about 25-30% restricted. Bottom vent wide open.

I have a WSM and I have been using my kettle a lot lately for smoking. Bottom vent less than 1/4 open. Top vent about 1/4 open. I get great results. Now I have not done an overnight smoke but others on here have using the snake method. I'm not sure what Mike Cosgrove does exactly as far as vents..again a lot of that depends upon how you set up your kettle.

Last edited:
you are correct Gary...no one said to keep the top vent closed. Guess I just wanted to point out to Andrew that I use my bottom vent to control heat and not the top one. I wanted him to realize that if he did close the top vent all the way and used only the bottom vent what the implications of that could be. perhaps I miss spoke in the way I worded it for him.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the help here. That's strange because I have no issue keeping a low and slow temp. I did ribs 2 weeks ago and I held around 300 over the course of 6 hours. All I did was add about 8 briquets every hour while basting the racks. I had the bottom vent wide open the whole time and the top vent about half. Last night I filled up a chimney full of briquets (expensive Weber long lasting which i always use) and I had temps consistently around 450 & 550 for a long time. I was cooking for around 20 people and was constantly opening and closing the lid. Seemed to be a successful evening! I was back in the game again. I had the both top and bottom vents wide open the whole evening, and this kept if hot the whole time. So now I am really confused here. One says to use half a chimney the other says a full chimney. Weber pros say all vents open, some of you here suggest only top vents cracked playing with the bottom vents??? I think I have the low and slow down packed using only one of the charcoal bins (around 25 briquets) that came with my performer for indirect. I am having trouble with very hot temps which hold for a longer period of time. I've tried full chimneys (80-100 briquets) half chimneys, vents both top and bottom open..... HELP!
I don't think anybody said close your top vent Regina. Sounds like you have things well in hand.
Andrew I cook multi course meals on my 26 most weekends now and I can tell you my bottom vent setting is always half open or less but it depends on what you are trying to do and how you are set up. If you are attempting pizza different story. If your are searing steaks perhaps a different setup. There are many ways to achieve 350 but my experience is an open top and bottom vent isn't one of them. As I said I use lump quite a bit. The highest temp I hit was 650 on my dome thermometer and I my top vent was about 25-30% restricted. Bottom vent wide open.

I have a WSM and I have been using my kettle a lot lately for smoking. Bottom vent less than 1/4 open. Top vent about 1/4 open. I get great results. Now I have not done an overnight smoke but others on here have using the snake method. I'm not sure what Mike Cosgrove does exactly as far as vents..again a lot of that depends upon how you set up your kettle.

Hey Rich,

I sure hope I am not getting bad batches of coals! They are from Weber and cost a fortune! That's why I am trying to preserve them as much as possible. When I do steaks, I also setup using the coal baskets and put them together in the middle of the grill to create a nice round bulls eye effect. I then lock in my cast iron searing grate in the middle (I have the Weber gourmet system and along with that the steak sear diamond grate) I let that heat up for about 10mins and also get nice branding marks. Seems we do our steaks the same except you put the baskets to the side, I put mine in the middle and use the searing grate.
Andrew,

Used my performer for the first time last night and it does cook a little different than my OTS. I did a indirect setup for the roast and direct for the veggies using 30 coals on each side to start and about 8 more on each side at the 45 min mark. It held a constant 325 but the thermometer is off by almost 30 degrees found that when I did a boiling water test, so it was really 355 and that was with the top went shut by 2/3, bottom wide open. When we went to direct I added a few more coals and left the lid off for about 15 min. When I put the lid on and opened the top vent within 5 min the thermometer read 400 and still climbing so that was about 430, I closed the top by about9/10 and it dropped down to a reading of 325.
With that said the only suspect I can think of is the charcoal, maybe you got a bad batch. Wish I could be of more help. When I do steaks on the OTS I use the coal holders and put them side by side and off to the side of the grate I use about 60 coals and build a raging inferno. Plop the steaks down over the coals one min a side to get great grill marks and sear then move them over to the cool side cover on about 3 min flip once another 3 min and perfect med/rare.
If you do figure it out please let us know what it was.

Rich

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the help here. That's strange because I have no issue keeping a low and slow temp. I did ribs 2 weeks ago and I held around 300 over the course of 6 hours. All I did was add about 8 briquets every hour while basting the racks. I had the bottom vent wide open the whole time and the top vent about half. Last night I filled up a chimney full of briquets (expensive Weber long lasting which i always use) and I had temps consistently around 450 & 550 for a long time. I was cooking for around 20 people and was constantly opening and closing the lid. Seemed to be a successful evening! I was back in the game again. I had the both top and bottom vents wide open the whole evening, and this kept if hot the whole time. So now I am really confused here. One says to use half a chimney the other says a full chimney. Weber pros say all vents open, some of you here suggest only top vents cracked playing with the bottom vents??? I think I have the low and slow down packed using only one of the charcoal bins (around 25 briquets) that came with my performer for indirect. I am having trouble with very hot temps which hold for a longer period of time. I've tried full chimneys (80-100 briquets) half chimneys, vents both top and bottom open..... HELP!

Andrew sometimes I think it's just different methods bringing us to the same result for example I do ribs now more on my big kettle and for me I lift the lid once or twice during the whole cook and not usually during the first couple of hours unless I want a photo or something. I bank my coals, use fire brick, light a small amount and go but my vents are cut way back. In your case sounds like you're not using much fuel to begin with but your fire is burning hotter faster. Don't forget with that top vent open there is a lot of heat escaping out that vent. We're cooking at similar temps just using different methods. I think I'm pretty safe in saying though you burn more fuel than I do.

Don't know anything about Weber briquettes. Never seen or heard of them. Not likely available up here. I am not a fan of KBB

Take a look at the Post below yours, Science of BBQ diagramed. I use the method I posted there for most cooks from LNS to Rotisserie and it works very well for me and others. I do not do this for searing. When I think about it most of my cooks are between LNS and 350 except for steak which we do not eat a lot of.
:)

When its time to sear, it's time for the lid to take a break. My steak method is reverse sear. Lowish heat indirect for a while, then take the lid off for 10 mins or so, get the fire raging hot, then do the final sear. I do this with my coals banked to one side, but don't see why you couldn't use a small pile in the middle with the Weber gourmet cast iron thing.

About the same as you for smoking, which is mainly what I use my 26.75 for.

When its time to sear, it's time for the lid to take a break. My steak method is reverse sear. Lowish heat indirect for a while, then take the lid off for 10 mins or so, get the fire raging hot, then do the final sear. I do this with my coals banked to one side, but don't see why you couldn't use a small pile in the middle with the Weber gourmet cast iron thing.

Mike I have the gourmet system and that is what I do albeit I'm using my CI 18" BGE CI grill grate as a charcoal grate. I stand 4 fire brick on their edge and lay on the gourmet grill with the CI insert and sear my steaks. Works like a charm.

Back