Contemplating Consolidation of Grills

GWaye

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I've been doing a ton of reading here about the great results (albeit w/ some quirks) that the SmokeFires are delivering for everyone. I currently have a WSM 22", Weber Performer and Weber 5000 LP grill. The issue is that it takes up a ton of real estate on my deck.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out: Is there a way to cook on the SmokeFire in which there WON'T be a ton of smoke flavor? My wife and kids love steaks done over charcoal, but as soon as I add any wood to it, they're a bit put off. But they love when I do brisket/ribs/shoulders on the WSM. Go figure.

It would be great to consolidate the Performer/WSM down to one SmokeFire if I can limit the smokiness through the use of a different pellet choice.

Can anyone provide input as to options on this? Appreciate the help!

Gary

Hard to argue with @John_NJ comments. I have a Summit Kamado, and the only thing I find I am missing is the ability to do a quick fire/heat on something where smoke/charcoal is not important or even undesirable. I am considering just picking up a little Weber Q or a Costco portable LP grill to add on the side.

Hmmm - interesting. A bit more coin, but solves the problem AND doesn't require electric. Just fire and food.

On a pellet grill (at least mine) the hotter you go the less smoke there is. Also it may not be the "smoke flavor/aroma" they object to but perhaps the "quality" of that smoke. Honestly I am actually contemplating (and have begun carrying out) consolidation much like you have outlined. But finding the pellet grills much more "agreeable" to me. Yeah I get the whole "caveman/make fire bit" in all honesty "meh". All I care about is how good is the food that comes off the appliance and how versatile the appliance is. IMO the pellet grills really hit the sweet spot

I can't comment on how to get less smoke from your smokefire. When I had a pellet, I was trying to get more smoke flavor not less.

I looked at the the smokefire a number of times, yet I wanted a less complex way to cook and not another piece of electronics to potentially fail.

Grill choice is personal preference. If I had your current grills, I'd sell the WSM and smoke fire and get a summit kamado E6. I'd keep the performer unless I could sell it for a really good price. I have a performer along side my WSK e6 and it is a perfect prep station. the larger summit with the built in table is nice yet it is a bit on the expensive side.

I’m far from the best person to say anything! I have my “Overperformer”, a platypus (22”) about to have a rotisserie carriage (pseudo performer), WSM 18, old school Genesis gasser, various and sundry smaller grills BUT… I’d agree with Dan, the E6 seems like a very versatile piece of equipment!
That’s about as nebulous a statement as I’ve ever written! Have a good time making your decision.

So, the Smokefire really is a great all around unit. Mine has been rock solid with near zero issues, and most of those issues are self-caused as she can be temperamental when lacking on cleaning. However, we’re talking half a year of HEAVY use here…

And on the rare occasion she will dump pellets and never fire. Why. I don’t know.

That said, I would say the Smokefire DOES produce more smoke flavor than any other pellet I’ve tried food off of. You name it any of the names and I’ve likely tried it and it falls short of Smokefire. It is what it is.

But I wouldn’t say it’s got an heavy smoke flavor, it’s an added layer and much more so than other pellets. Your flavor is based upon, really, two factors that you can control: 1) pellet and 2) cooking temp. Smokeboost does what it says, it ups the level of smoke. And pellet selection definitely plays a part, I find myself always grabbing Green Mountain pellets. I’ve also tried Weber, B&B, some off brand, and Jealous Devil primarily. I’ve got two bags of Cabelas pellets that haven’t been run yet but the price was right.

I say yes, 100% get the Smokefire

I will also add, maybe laying some aluminum foil down on the grates will block some of that smoke flavor. I don’t remember what in the world I was cooking or why, by I payed foil down and it drastically decreased the flavor profile.

My wife is not a big fan of smoked food either. Last night I fired up the smokefire to grill a couple of Butterball seasoned turkey burgers, cooked at 475 for 15 minutes. After she took one bite she asked what kind of burgers I made. Told her the same turkey burgers I always make. She said best turkey burger ever! That's a win in my book.

I'm looking to downsize myself, but not sure if I'm ready to part with my gas grills yet. If my smokefire continues to provide great tasting food the decision to part with some of my herd will be easier to make. So far, things are looking good for the smokefire. I love the convenience of pushing a button, dialing up a temp, and smoking/grilling.

When doing fast cooks on the smokefire your not going to get a lot of smoke flavor. If that's what you want, you could run smokeboost first before turning up the heat.

I describe the smoke flavor as smoother than charcoal. For less smoke flavor use Apple or Cherry pellets. For more smoke flavor use Hickory or Mesquite. Three years ago I replaced a WSM, a performer, and a Camp Chef pellet grill with my EX6. No regrets.

Yep, for me only 2 gassers will be kept. The Wolf and the Q320. Both for different reasons. Thanks to those custom grates, the awesome heat output from the IR burner along with the great control of the 6 lower burners, and great size it's a pizza machine. It's also a great rotisserie machine. Though on my last cooks with the MM pellet popper I am beginning to doubt the need to ever use a rotisserie again. You pellet guys that were encouraging me last summer. You guys started a whole new way for me. I do like the Q for just a little quick thing though. A couple dogs, breakfast sausages, what have you. And also quite honestly I am gonna try a pizza in the big Z soon. Not sure how that will go. When it happens I will report.

Hi all,

I've been doing a ton of reading here about the great results (albeit w/ some quirks) that the SmokeFires are delivering for everyone. I currently have a WSM 22", Weber Performer and Weber 5000 LP grill. The issue is that it takes up a ton of real estate on my deck.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out: Is there a way to cook on the SmokeFire in which there WON'T be a ton of smoke flavor? My wife and kids love steaks done over charcoal, but as soon as I add any wood to it, they're a bit put off. But they love when I do brisket/ribs/shoulders on the WSM. Go figure.

It would be great to consolidate the Performer/WSM down to one SmokeFire if I can limit the smokiness through the use of a different pellet choice.

Can anyone provide input as to options on this? Appreciate the help!

Gary
The best steaks I’ve EVER had were cooked on my WSK, using Jealous Devil lump on my CI cooking grate. An 1100° fire sear up front and then moved to indirect to finish.

A perfect blend of charcoal, no extra smoke, and all that natural beef flavor. And oh boy, I can pump out the best burgers too.

No electricity needed. No parts to fail. And when I want to do LAS briskets too, the WSK kicks ash.

To each their own for pellet poopers or real charcoal. My guest’s feedback is all I need to know I’m turning out better food than any other grill out there.

And I sold my Summit NG gasser which was super convenient to use. The WSK just produced better food 100% of the time. And my WSM was sold prior to buying the WSK.

If/when I have to move and “downsize the herd” I will probably only keep the Overperformer and the bullet. OK maybe replace all the rest with an E6?

I would at least keep 1 charcoal or gas burner.
Power goes out or you have a glitch you can still cook.
The fan went on my Auto - Kamado, that took about two weeks for a replacement.

Our E320 NG is our quick and easy grill for quick cooks and our summer oven. The camp chef is our low and slow cooker. The jumbo joe is for simple cooks when you just have to do charcoal and the performer is for those rare occasions I need more real estate for larger charcoal cooks.
At my age I'm not buying anymore grills, good enough will have to do.

I know when you pellet guys were going on about them and I was the "doubting Thomas" but decided for under $200 it was worth a "shot" to see what all the fuss was about. Well, now I "get it". I can actually see living with a pellet cooker only. And maybe my little Jumbo Joe for those tuna steaks :D

Back