Concerned my Weber Crafted Griddle is not seasoning correctly

Edward Lee

TVWBB Member
I am concerned that my Weber Crafted Griddle is not seasoning correctly. Here’s what looks like after the first 30 minute application using canola oil. I’m cooling down now for 30 minutes before starting the next coat.

Is this how it should look after the first coat? If not, suggestions to correct?

Thanks!

The instructions called for 1 tablespoon, which is the amount I used and I thought I spread it on evenly.

Can it be fixed? Was thinking maybe some steel wool and start over? Thoughts?

The instructions called for 1 tablespoon, which is the amount I used and I thought I spread it on evenly.

Can it be fixed? Was thinking maybe some steel wool and start over?
Definitely but I’m going to leave that to the cast iron heads on this forum. I don’t have the best luck on CI.
I had a griddle for my Q-320 and several lodge pans and a couple Weber woks that never agreed with me.

No need to do anything except go through the process again. This time use a circular motion and, without adding more oil, go over it again making sure to hit all the corners and edges. For a really good seasoning, once it's cooled down, repeat the whole process at least once more.

Yeah, there was too much oil on there. You might start with a tablespoon but you use a paper towel to spread it around and you should leave a layer that's very thin more like it's just evenly greasy to the touch. Heat it up until it starts smoking then turn off the heat and let it cool. The repeat as many times as you like.

Thanks everyone ! I’ll forge ahead with a few more coats this weekend and share back my results. 🤞🤞

BTW, on a related note… does the Weber Crafted Griddle material have the same properties as cast iron, or is it different in some way?

My 36 inch Blackstone took multiple layers of oil and cooks to get properly seasoned.
One or two 30 minute sessions isn’t enough.
You will see your cold spots during the seasoning process.
I’d avoid bacon cooks until the seasoning is done due to the salt on metal thing.
As far as what kind of metal, I’d wager it’s just mild steel like mine and will work fine.

Thanks everyone ! I’ll forge ahead with a few more coats this weekend and share back my results. 🤞🤞

BTW, on a related note… does the Weber Crafted Griddle material have the same properties as cast iron, or is it different in some way?
It's carbon steel but you treat it the same as cast iron. Seasons and cooks the same, essentially.

I have just did one coating and burn off with oil and then started using it, prefferably with oily and greasy foods. The more they get used, the better the seasoning becomes. Then when done cooking, I grab a couple paper towels and just wipe down the surface. Don't put it in the sink to be washed or in the dishwasher between cooks. Just keep using it. Right or wrong, that is what I do.

I put on the Searwood for about 2 hours last night and did 3 very thin coats of oil every 30 minutes. The unevenness from the first session is still a little visible. It also has a little texture where I was expecting it would be more smooth.

Thoughts or advice? Thanks!

PXL_20240524_021832575.jpeg

Back