Comparing two sets of import replacement burner tubes

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I am working on a "secret project" Genesis 330. During my tax season, I could only piddle around with it, so I used the time to buy some parts to be ready. This grill has the 4th sear burner. I had one leftover Weber burner tube, so I only needed to buy a set of 3 (cheaper!). I was in a hurry and didn't do a good job of looking at the reviews on Amazon; I bought a set of UTHEER burners for $29.99 plus tax. I figured it would all work out.

THE GOOD: They are non-magnetic stainless and feel reasonably solid.
THE BAD: These burners have a notched end to fit between a tall and short post on the 300 series grills, but this one had a problem.

Here's how the OEM Weber (magnetic by the way) fits:

IMG_1897.jpeg
You can see that the notch on the right of the tube aligns well with the tall post and the flat side on the left rests on top of the short post.

Here's how my import burner tube from Utheer fit - or should I say DIDN'T fit. In my picture it doesn't look terrible, but in fact the tube will NOT stay in place:

IMG_1898.jpeg
It's been made UPSIDE DOWN!!!

Obviously, I can't flip it over, but for fun I tried:

IMG_1900.jpeg
Even if they had made the burner with the holes on the correct side, although the notch now aligns OK, the flat side on the left is too narrow and won't keep the burner from falling into the recessed area next to the post. :unsure:

My Amazon return window expired already, since I bought and held this part over the winter. I reached out directly to Utheer, and much to my amazement, I got a call at 9:30PM from a very polite lady with an Asian accent (calling form China?) She sent me an email so that I could reply and send some of the above pictures and an explanation of the problem. She said in her email that this would be rectified. I stressed to her that it was just as important to me that the factory get it straight which side to put the holes in and that they needed to much more closely copy the OEM burner so that it would sit flat.

Not willing to wait for this resolution - although I am at least impressed the level of effort Utheer has started out doing for a thirty buck set of tubes - I went back to Amazon and reviewed options. I was ready to concede to an overpriced set of Weber OEM tubes, until I saw the offering from Qlimetal. $29.99. Great reviews, and buyer uploaded pictures (never trust the ad pictures for something like this!) showed that the Qlimetal ones were extremely close to OEM specs. I have always had great success with QLimetal flavorizer bars and grill grates. They currently offer the only viable 9mm stainless grates for the older Genesis grills.

Anyway, Qlimetal did not let me down. Their set even included a set of screws (magnetic) and an instruction sheet, both of which were nowhere to be seen with the Utheer burner set. The Qlimetal tubes are also non-magnetic, and they weigh in about an ounce heavier than the Utheer ones.

Here's a lineup with Qlimetal on the left, Weber in the middle, and Utheer on the right:

IMG_1910.jpeg

A closeup comparison, Utheer on the left, Weber in the middle, and Qlimetal on the right.

IMG_1909.jpeg

Notice also, that Qlimetal uses the "slit" openings like the OEM Weber version. I read many complaints on reviews of other non-OEM burners about this. Many of the ad pictures showed slits, but the tubes actually came with round holes. How much this matters, I do not know. I will leave that to people like @LMichaels who know way more about gas :) (Sorry Larry!) than I do.

In conclusion, I want to be clear that although I received a poorly made product from them, the jury is still out about Utheer's customer service and commitment to correcting their design/production problems. I never expected to get any response from them, much less a personal phone call. So, I am not writing this to bash Utheer. I will report back on what follow-up I receive.

I will, however, continue to praise Qlimetal. I am sure they have had misses, but I have such good success with their products, that I feel they try hard to rise above the pack of here today, gone tomorrow sellers of imported non-OEM grill parts. These burners are another good example of that. GIven that they must be 304 SS, they EXCEED the quality of the Weber OEM burners. I am very proud to put them in my "secret project" grill. More on that later...

Last edited:
Thanks Jon

Good to see the side by side comparison.

I bought qulimetal heat deflectors for an e330 and they were thicker than gaasf for a few dollars more.

Why is this a secret?

Interesting, I'm actually surprised that there is any difference between aftermarket sets so thanks for pointing this out.

Re, holes. I really am unsure if a slit or round hole makes much if any difference to the final result. Too bad the ones with holes did not work so you could try them side by side

Re, holes. I really am unsure if a slit or round hole makes much if any difference to the final result. Too bad the ones with holes did not work so you could try them side by side
I might be able to do that temporarily, just to see. The problem comes when moving the grill around. They can't be fastened down and will certainly fall into the slot as shown in my pictures.

Ten minutes with a Dremel, a drill, a couple of self-tapping screws and washers, and you could make the Utheer burner fit well enough to use.

Ten minutes with a Dremel, a drill, a couple of self-tapping screws and washers, and you could make the Utheer burner fit well enough to use.
Good idea. But why should I have to when their write-up said “perfect fit?” If I wind up being stuck with them, however, I might very well try that. I did already plan to cut off those old tapping screws, drill new holes and replace with new screws and washers as you recommend. Even with the OEM burners they need to have some tension to keep them in place.

When I did my Silver B, I started with aftermarket burners that had round holes. Temperature contril was OK, but they always gave me trouble when I lighted them. Burner not lighting all the way half the times.
I switched to a different afternarket set with slits and they behaved like OEM.

This was several years back, I don't remember what brands they were.

"Secret project" as in hiding it from the wife?
Not this one, as it is hiding in plain sight - in my home office no less. It has been clearly advertised as being prepared for sale. I am trying out some ideas to help with with its marketability which I will show and tell about when it is finished.

OEM burners on the factory post are loose. They slide fore aft about a quarter inch and a little side to side. 20230429_151820.jpg20230429_151817.jpg

OEM burners on the factory post are loose. They slide fore aft about a quarter inch and a little side to side. View attachment 69846View attachment 69847
I think they need to do that so that they can be removed without doing the impossible and removing those screws. When I get to my cut-off and redrilling, I intend to only lightly tighten down my new burners. Your OEM burners may move a little, but they aren't falling into the opening because the flat part is adequately wide. The first batch I bought will definitely fall in if they are able to move left to right at all.

Nice sand blasting job, Jon.
Yeah, I am glad I found a great guy for sand blasting. He also does powder coating, but I have only been willing to shell out for my PK grill:

IMG_7095.JPEG

IMG_7101.JPEG

The only bad thing is that I think sand blasting may have contributed to my existing burner screws deteriorating to an unusable state. I don't blame my sand blasting guy at all, however.

IMG_1898.jpeg

Yah, I think the blasting took them to a point they no longer hold the tubes securely. But that isn't his fault. Blasting is always going to remove some good metal. It is just likely those screws were already pretty rusted and the blasting just hastened the inevitable by a year or so.

Blasting does thin down the metal a little and -hopefully- he doesn't take off too much aluminum on the cookboxes.
The screws, however, were most likely rusted beyond use and all he really did was remove the rust. I don't think he took off too much usable steel on the screws.
And, wow that PK is a cool little grill. NICE!!

Good idea. But why should I have to when their write-up said “perfect fit?” If I wind up being stuck with them, however, I might very well try that. I did already plan to cut off those old tapping screws, drill new holes and replace with new screws and washers as you recommend. Even with the OEM burners they need to have some tension to keep them in place.
True. I should have prefaced my comment with "If all else fails..."

Back