Comp Thighs, Finally did it!

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Did what you say?

Bite through skin!

This has been an ongoing project of mine pretty much since I first attempted comp bbq three years ago. For some reason, I just couldn't get it right. I pleaded my case to Kevin and he had some wise advice, but nothing I tried ever worked...that is...until tonight.

I've actually got a couple of calls with the mediocre stuff I've produced in the past, but these blew all those away.

a hot tub session, fresh rub application, and a brief smoke:
IMG_4441.JPG

They went into sauce and back on to set the sauce. There's two sauces here, the thicker version was a bit gloppy (see the back ones), but the thinned stuff was perfect:
IMG_4443.JPG

I had a 9x9 from some recent leftovers so I decided to box them up for their trip to the dinner table. The only greens I had were some wilted red leaf lettuce which are illegal so I skipped the garnish:
IMG_4447.JPG

and the money shot:
IMG_4449.JPG

I should have taken a shot of the bite, it was like the skin wasn't even there!

one of the best parts was that I found a new source that sells some dainty thighs along with giant ones (check out the center guy in the second pic). They barely took any trimming to get to a nice presentation size. I'm going to go back and see if they cant get me a whole bunch of the little ones. It'll cut down on a ton of our prep work, and they should look a bit more natural than the hyper-processed thighs everyone likes to submit.

Outstanding! I don't know whether to eat them or just admire them. They are absolutley gorgeous.
icon_smile.gif

Persistence pays. Congratulations!

Rita, who has run out of superlatives

Hey Jeff - Rita is right - Those really are a thing of beauty. Persistence does pay and you did a masterful job on those. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing some of your comments after another comp or two. Regards, Bob Bailey
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks everybody!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looking forward to hearing some of your comments after another comp or two. Regards, Bob Bailey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can say these were better than anything I've tried in the past, however, in the short time I've been competing, I know better than to expect a walk
icon_confused.gif

I was sweetening my rib recipe and as they got sweeter I did better (up to a 4th) until the day I submitted the sweet ribs and got pounded, two comment cards both said how good the ribs were but were "far too sweet."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can you elaborate on the 'hot tub session'? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the thighs went into a foil covered, aluminum pan with butter and a little water. The pan went into the wsm for hour.

The resulting hot tub liquid was used to thin my sauce down.

Thanks J! I will definitely give that a try!

BTW... those are some of the best looking thighs I have seen. I would love to see those in a 9x9 at my table any day!!!!!

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW... those are some of the best looking thighs I have seen. I would love to see those in a 9x9 at my table any day!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

quick question: Where do you stand on the natural thigh vs cupcake thigh look?

Great job Jeff. I know it's a cliche, but I would really like to taste one of those. Let us know when you spring 'em on a comp so we can cheer you on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let us know when you spring 'em on a comp so we can cheer you on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Gary.

We're gearing up for 6/25, here in Boston, NY (20 min south of Buffalo). That and one in late September will probably be our only contests.

We probably should compete more, so I wouldn't have to practice so much. Its tough trying to steal a call when you are going up against a dozen or so teams that compete every weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Let us know when you spring 'em on a comp so we can cheer you on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Gary.

We're gearing up for 6/25, here in Boston, NY (20 min south of Buffalo). That and one in late September will probably be our only contests.

We probably should compete more, so I wouldn't have to practice so much. Its tough trying to steal a call when you are going up against a dozen or so teams that compete every weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I ask your technique to achieve the bite through skin? Did you do high heat or low and slow? I have cooked lots of chickens and never been able to get the skin quite right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Its tough trying to steal a call when you are going up against a dozen or so teams that compete every weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Best of luck, and keep it fun.

Back