College football season ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
The powers that be should be coming up on a deadline for deciding to play. If they don't play, it will be a huge financial hit for all of college athletics, as football pretty much pays the bills.

But if they do play, this season will have a huge asterisk beside it.

I would not want to be the people who have to make this decision. If not for the financial disaster, it would be easy to just wait till next year.

Oh, no...if there's no CFB season the players might have to actually attend classes! ;)

Last edited:
I'm a big college football fan, but with the talk of inner-conference play only, players opting out, restricting who can be in the stands, etc. I'm kinda losing my enthusiasm.

I'm a big college football fan, but with the talk of inner-conference play only, players opting out, restricting who can be in the stands, etc. I'm kinda losing my enthusiasm.

Yep, me too .......... there's nothing about it that will be the same.

I just don't see how these universities can take that big financial hit. They would need to shut down all sports for the entire 20/21 school year, and even then , they can't cut a lot of the expense.

Coaches were out in force yesterday arguing that the players are safer with their teams and crowing about the lack of positive tests during training camps. That's fine when campuses are empty and the football teams are effectively in a NBA-style bubble. But that bubble bursts the second the rest of the student body (or portion thereof) shows up on campus and everyone starts attending classes. With the lung issues and the increased rate of myocarditis (as compared to other viruses) caused by coronavirus, if I was a pro-prospect, I would be opting out of the season to protect my investment in myself. No matter how small the chance, why take any chance at all? The Athletic is reporting that 10 Big Ten players had been diagnosed with myocarditis and that this fact played a role in the decision to cancel "postpone" the season.

The player safety arguments made by the coaches and ADs ring hollow. The only reason to have a season is money.

Well yeah, it is mostly about the money. Because for a lot of these universities, football pays the bills for their entire athletic program. And money does not grow on trees.

Its not like these are wealthy organizations and are greedily tring to hold on to their lucrative revenue stream. Its like they need the money for survival.

Whatever the Big 10 and PAC 12 decided to do , is up to them and I wish them well. But here in Oklahoma, the players, coaches, everybody wants to play football. It means a lot to us and not just financially.

Back