Coffee Coals Charcoal

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I missed this if it's been posted before.
Charcoal made from coffee grounds.
Sold only on Amazon, $6.15 for a 2.2 lb. bag, so I will not be trying it.

http://www.coffeecoals.com/

55bfa6fdb3581.image.jpg

Could have sworn I saw that at Trader Joe's awhile back, the kettle on the bag caught my eye back then, but it could have been something else. It would be interesting to cook over that

I have to wonder why this is not value priced since they are recycling coffee grounds that would have been thrown away.

If you watch the video in Bob C's link in the original post, they are using an off brand kettle indoors in a commercial kitchen.
The video is interesting from the standpoint of "how it could be done better". Now, how could I compress my old coffee grounds.......?

If you manage to figure out how to compress them, nothing stopping you going to your local Starbucks/independent coffee chop and asking them to keep you there used grounds haha

I'm not a coffee drinker but many enjoy the actual flavor of coffee in many things. It might be that just a few briqs of coffee charcoal would add some coffee flavor to your BBQ smoke.

Or-r-r, how about just throwing some grounds on the hot charcoal in your WSM?

Just a thought or two...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

The video is interesting from the standpoint of "how it could be done better".

Yeah, like maybe the grill should have been somewhat level and not stacked on top of some sheet pans. Also, no use of a thermometer to test doneness? Finally, I'm not sure how the video is supposed to actually help sell the charcoal. I mean, he emphasizes that you don't get coffee flavor or aroma from the coals, but that begs the question of why would anyone use this product over KBB or something else more reasonably priced. From an ecological standpoint, charcoal made from coffee wouldn't really be much different than traditional charcoal.

Back