Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

That's what I paid for it. It's a great deal but honestly I like the HB better. IDK it's smoother, richer tasting. Maybe I did not experiment enough with the Columbian Supremo but it just did not come off as smooth on my palate. Good, to be sure but not as good
I wouldn't disagree with that and they're both about the same price.

So IDK what's going on today. If it's my taste buds this AM or something "off" with my KA grinder or my Breville coffee maker. But, because daughter 1 is here today (stayed last night), I figured I would use a flat basket and make a larger pot. Set the machine for "flat basket", 50oz water, 75 gr coffee. And my normal cup o' jo was insipid and watery. So, decided to dump the whole pot, start again. Set the machine to cone, ground a new batch and less water. IDK still just does not taste "right".
Did not change grinder setting, same beans as yesterday and basically week before: Kirkland House Blend.
Just gonna chalk it up to my taste buds and still being over tired today. IDK what else to think.

So IDK what's going on today. If it's my taste buds this AM or something "off" with my KA grinder or my Breville coffee maker. But, because daughter 1 is here today (stayed last night), I figured I would use a flat basket and make a larger pot. Set the machine for "flat basket", 50oz water, 75 gr coffee. And my normal cup o' jo was insipid and watery. So, decided to dump the whole pot, start again. Set the machine to cone, ground a new batch and less water. IDK still just does not taste "right".
Did not change grinder setting, same beans as yesterday and basically week before: Kirkland House Blend.
Just gonna chalk it up to my taste buds and still being over tired today. IDK what else to think.
Some ideas. A typical coffee to water ratio for filter coffee is 60 grams ground coffee to 1 liter brew water. And if I recall, you prefer darker roasts where I will often push the ratio up closer to 70 grams per liter. Flat basket should give you a full bodied cup typically, so you might play with the ratio some to see if it makes any difference.

I bought a couple bags of Peet's Major Dickason's beans last month. I still think it's pricey, but will always snag a couple when Costco has them on sale. I dump 4 heaping scoops of beans in the OXO grinder, set at 10.5 and brew it in a 3-cup Chemex pour over coffeemaker.

I'm unsure what was off. It did taste like not enough coffee in the coffee :D But I've used this machine to make a full pot (12 cups 60 oz) and I always fudge just a bit over what Breville lists in there "recommended ratios". I.E. today I fudged about 5 grams total over their recs. And a 12 cup pot using same everything tasted better. The only difference was I'd used a different grinder back then. That larger Shardor which on "drip" setting I think ran a little finer on the grind. Not a lot mind you but some. Maybe the deeper bed of grounds is what makes the 12 better than the 10 I did even though I used same ratios.
I rarely use the basket. Because it's very rare I make more than 40oz. And I've got that formula down pat. But I think my taste buds were a touch off today as well. Because even when I dumped the big pot, and did a fresh with my normal ratios, there was still something just a touch "off".
Not sure if relevant but this AM it flashed on that it needs descaling. I will likely do that this afternoon.

Well this AM I realized I'd forgotten to descale the Breville. Not being sure if it was contributing to my taste issues, I figured I'd pull the OXO up from downstairs and press it into use for this AM's brew. It did not disappoint :D I ended up with 70grams to 40oz water. Seems to be the "sweet spot" for House Blend and either machine

Well, yesterday I descaled the Breville. Got what appeared to be some debris in the filter after the flush. Coffee was back on track this AM

Back