Coffee Beans what's in your grinder ???

Dam son.....how much coffee do you drink or grinds you use;-)? I think you must go through a bag 2x-4x as fast as we do. We both drink a 16oz in the morning and the leftover drip or a pot of Mokka in the afternoon and use about 5-6 scoops of coffee grounds a day doing it. I am guessing you use a lot more grinds for the espresso machine?
I will pull a double shot for my after lunch shot. So 17 to 18 grams. In AM for our morning Joe I typically use 68-69 grams. So IDK, maybe 86-90 grams per day.
I don't go by "scoops". I bought myself a scale years ago. Recently replaced it with a new one I really like a lot. I have the KA grinder "dialed in" for our "8 cup" pot in the AM to dispense 68-69 grams as soon as I hit the "go button", and the Breville is dialed in for about 18 grams. I double check on the scale just to be sure.
Life is too short for watery coffee :D

I will pull a double shot for my after lunch shot. So 17 to 18 grams. In AM for our morning Joe I typically use 68-69 grams. So IDK, maybe 86-90 grams per day.
I don't go by "scoops". I bought myself a scale years ago. Recently replaced it with a new one I really like a lot. I have the KA grinder "dialed in" for our "8 cup" pot in the AM to dispense 68-69 grams as soon as I hit the "go button", and the Breville is dialed in for about 18 grams. I double check on the scale just to be sure.
Life is too short for watery coffee :D
So about 90 grams a day. I will have to weigh our scoops. We still use Choc-Full-O-Nuts scoops from when my parents made coffee about 40 years go. I guess they really made those things well to last this long.
1722516971884.png

Yeah, I gave up with scoops number of years ago. I tare out my container, then weigh the dose. For a long time I used to "bulk" grind. IOW I would grind enough for a few days worth. Then, I went to "dosing". I would weigh out XX grams of whole beans, grind then brew. Now that I've learned how to dial in the grinder within one gram, I fill it up. I weigh the grind container, tare, hit the "go" button, weigh once more to double check and brew. Saves a little bit of time/effort.
In that photo that scoop almost looks like a 1/4 cup measuring cup. :D

Yeah, I gave up with scoops number of years ago. I tare out my container, then weigh the dose. For a long time I used to "bulk" grind. IOW I would grind enough for a few days worth. Then, I went to "dosing". I would weigh out XX grams of whole beans, grind then brew. Now that I've learned how to dial in the grinder within one gram, I fill it up. I weigh the grind container, tare, hit the "go" button, weigh once more to double check and brew. Saves a little bit of time/effort.
In that photo that scoop almost looks like a 1/4 cup measuring cup. :D
The scoop is roughly a tablespoon and holds 7 grams (I just got curious). I bulk grind as wife makes coffee sometimes and she doesn't grind or weigh;-)

I'm boring, I like Peet's Major Dickason and San Francisco Bay French roast. Been drinking both for years. Grind daily ( Baratza Encore) and do a pour over using Melitta holders and #4 filters into a 10oz Yeti tumbler. I use different containers (like a proper Victor diner mug on occasion) but this is my daily routine. Melitta goes back +40 years now and dark roast beans the same. I've tried lots of roasts but I'm a dark roast guy. Love espresso but too maintenance heavy on the machines.

Last edited:
I'm boring, I like Peet's Major Dickason and San Francisco Bay French roast. Been drinking both for years. Grind daily ( Baratza Encore) and do a pour over using Melitta holders and #4 filters into a 10oz Yeti tumbler. I use different containers (like a proper Victor diner mug on occasion) but this is my daily routine. Melitta goes back +40 years now and dark roast beans the same. I've tried lots of roasts but I'm a dark roast guy. Love espresso but too maintenance heavy on the machines.
Peet's Major Dickasons is straight up good coffee. I think the SFBCC French roast is pretty good too. I used to like their Fog Chaser as well.
I believe SFBCC is the supplier for some of the Costco Kirkland brand beans.

Peet's Major Dickasons is straight up good coffee. I think the SFBCC French roast is pretty good too. I used to like their Fog Chaser as well.
I believe SFBCC is the supplier for some of the Costco Kirkland brand beans.
I thought it was Starbucks that made Kirkland's coffee beans as SFB is already quite reasonably priced. I just wish they didn't sell it in 3# bags.

Nothing "boring" there IMO. Peet's is good stuff no doubt there. If you only have that one mug no reason to not simply use the Melitta pourover basket. I own one myself for just those occasions when all I want is a single cup and don't want to bother with espresso

Nothing "boring" there IMO. Peet's is good stuff no doubt there. If you only have that one mug no reason to not simply use the Melitta pourover basket. I own one myself for just those occasions when all I want is a single cup and don't want to bother with espresso
Oh, I have more than one! I have three of the Yeti 10 ouncers, a couple of 20 ouncers, and a good variety of vintage Victor diner mugs and other porcelain/china/stoneware coffee mugs as well. I grind for the ounces of water and don't like Chemex, Hario, etc. from the pourover world. I love espresso but just don't want to take the time or go through the expense of a better grinder and proper espresso machine. And no way, I'm dong pods! ;)

Where was this info procured?
It used to be printed on the bags of the Kirkland Signature House Blend and I believe the KS French Roast too. It no longer is...Roasted by Starbucks.
SFBCC as a supplier for Costco coffees information comes from a source that knows a board member.

So just switched back into the Kirkland House Blend beans in the KA grinder as I'd used all but the last few beans of Kirkland Columbian Supremo. Noticed a peculiar thing. I had the KA "dialed in" for dispensing between 68-69 grams reliably by fine tuning the grind time. IOW, 68-69 grams to 40oz water. So, by careful measurement and timing I had the grinder dialed in to give me that measure in a given time.
Today with the House Blend loaded up, it only produced about 50 grams in that time. Only change............the beans.
Not sure why that would happen

So just switched back into the Kirkland House Blend beans in the KA grinder as I'd used all but the last few beans of Kirkland Columbian Supremo. Noticed a peculiar thing. I had the KA "dialed in" for dispensing between 68-69 grams reliably by fine tuning the grind time. IOW, 68-69 grams to 40oz water. So, by careful measurement and timing I had the grinder dialed in to give me that measure in a given time.
Today with the House Blend loaded up, it only produced about 50 grams in that time. Only change............the beans.
Not sure why that would happen
Is the Columbian Supremo a darker roast ? Darker roasts are less dense and would likely (maybe) yield a lower output in a given amount of time. Were the beans a similar size ? Asking because just finished up a bag of Ethiopian coffee and opened a bag from El Salvador and El Salvador beans are at least half again as big as the Ethiopian.

Clearly just guessing but maybe trigger a hypothesis or two.

Is the Columbian Supremo a darker roast ? Darker roasts are less dense and would likely (maybe) yield a lower output in a given amount of time. Were the beans a similar size ? Asking because just finished up a bag of Ethiopian coffee and opened a bag from El Salvador and El Salvador beans are at least half again as big as the Ethiopian.

Good points. Bean size would definitely explain it to a degree. But I believe most ever type of whole bean Costco sells is Arabica...larger beans.

In outward appearance they appear about the same. In terms of roast and size they did not appear not much different. A little more oily but otherwise not much different (the House Blend appears a little more oily)

Just got back from Costco. If I'm not mistaken, the Colombian Supremo dropped in price a few $$.

Attachments

• PXL_20240807_181111028.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240807_181111028.MP.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 3
That's what I paid for it. It's a great deal but honestly I like the HB better. IDK it's smoother, richer tasting. Maybe I did not experiment enough with the Columbian Supremo but it just did not come off as smooth on my palate. Good, to be sure but not as good

Back