Coconut Lump Charcoal

ChadRex

TVWBB Super Fan
Where can one find and Buy Coconut Lump Charcoal in Southern Ca. area?

I have been doing a lot of Japanese style grilling techniques,
and after adding a Charcoal Basket to my Smokey Joe Silver I was thinking it would make a great set up as
a Shichirin/Konro japanese style Yakitori grill.

images

images

Has anyone done this type of High heat Yakitori style grilling with the Smokey Joe?

The primary fuel source of traditional Japanese style Shichirin/Konro Grill is Binchotan charcoal
220px-Japanese_Binch%C5%8Dtan_%28Japanese_high-grade_charcoal_produced_from_ubame_oak%29.jpg

( Oak based long burning- Low Ash producing) which can be expensive.. I wanted to get thoughts on good lump charcoals since I have never used lump in my Weber I have always used briquettes.

Any recommendations on a lump charcoal that is similar to Binchotan?
I have read that Coconut Lump specifically Komodo kamado Sustainable Coconut is highly rated
I have also read about Wicked Good Weekend Warrior

Does anyone from SoCal- Los Angeles Area know of a place to get these locally or have any other reccomendations for long burning low ash producing lump coal.

My set up will be with foil wrapped bricks stacked next to charcoal grate, cooking just over the heat on a small Japanese screen with skewers.

I have tried this on my 22.5 " Weber It worked ok but the heat source was too far away and i lost a lot of heat. I am thinking the Smokey Joe would be better, if I can keep the heat high and keep it lit long enough 2-3 hours

But want to try this style on the Smokey Joe.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Mahalo,
ChadRex

Last edited:
Komodo Kamado

Hi Chad.

I was recently wondering the same thing, so I sent off an email.
Hi Dennis.

I am interested in purchasing some of your extruded coconut charcoal for personal use with shipping to Camarillo, CA 93010.

Do you have a price list, order form or website?

I got your email address from your signature on the forums.

Thank you,

Chris Sherman

1st reply:

Heylo Chris,

Thank you for your interest and inquiry on the coco char.. The charcoal is warehoused in Carson CA. There really is no way to get small volumes sent out. That being said, I get amazing rates on palette deliveries of charcoal. Best rates to a business with lift gate or fork lift. The 20lb boxes can easily be loaded into a car's trunk.

Komodo Kamado Sustainable Extruded CoConut Shell Charcoal
Unlike other charcoals, KK CoCo Char has no wood flavor profile (volatiles) which lets you cook smoke free. This lets you add a target smoking wood and get only it's profile, not a mix of the charcoal you are using and the target flavor.

How good is it? We'll let the king of online charcoal reviews say it for us
Reviewed on the Naked Whiz charcoal site
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag81.htm

Komodo CoCo Char comes in 20lb boxes and was $1.40 lb / $28 box…
I have a special right now and it's $1.20 lb / $24 box

Palettes come in the following volumes
28 boxes/560 lbs
40 boxes/800 lbs
60 boxes/1200 lbs
You may purchase any volume.
There is no minimum order but there is a $7.95 warehouse charge per load.

;-)
Dennis Linkletter
Komodo Kamado
424 270-1948

Residential Delivery w/ lift gate
28 boxes / 560 lbs $
40 boxes / 800 lbs $
60 boxes / 1200 lbs $

Business delivery to loading dock or forklift
28 boxes / 560 lbs $
40 boxes / 800 lbs $

60 boxes / 1200 lbs $

IMG_2705.jpg
IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

10 Boxes
KK-CoCo10.jpg

15 Boxes
KK-COCO15.jpg

20 Boxes
KKCoCO20.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

I believe these are all 28 box crates
file.php.jpg

Pallet%2520Size%2520container%2520load%2520charcoal.jpg

2nd reply dated 05/17/2013:
Heylo Chris,
the coco can now be purchased directly from the KK website store..
;-)

Hope this helps.
Keep us posted if you pick some up.
Obviously I'm interested too.

Hi Chad.

I was recently wondering the same thing, so I sent off an email.

Hope this helps.
Keep us posted if you pick some up.
Obviously I'm interested too.

Hmm Well I wish I knew which Warehouse this was at and if we can purchase directly from the warehouse in Carson, I am about a 20 minute drive from Carson.

If it is warehoused in Carson,that would indicate somewhere there are retailers that carry the stuff. I wonder where?
I also sent an e-mail to Dennis unfortunately he is not in his office he is traveling from Indonesia to USA.

Between you and I and any other local folks on this forum lets see if we can locate the stuff, or maybe do a Bulk group pallet purchase.

Last edited:
Yeah i am not paying shipping of 13.00 when I can simply pick it up in Carson.
I will private message you if I get a response from him. I left him a voice mail so hopefully i will get a response..

I tried it ~10 years ago. Hard as heck to light. It doesn't have much smell. Kind of neutral best I can remember. Before you buy a pallet, buy a box and try it first.

I got in on a group buy of a pallet of Charcos Coconut Shell briquettes and am very happy with them.
I'm also using some Coshell Coconut Shell briqs. I got a couple 3.3lb bags to play around with and so far I've gotten 2 grilling cooks out of one small bag. I have an 18lb bag waiting for a long slow cook.
I've seen some Binchotan in a couple Asian markets in the Lynnwood, WA area.

IMG_0034.jpg

Last edited:
Chrcos

IMG_5963.jpg

I use it over and over and over!

IMG_6073.jpg

Coshell

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

On my third cook off a 3.3 lb. bag of Coshell! It keeps going and going!

IMG_0185.jpg

Great stuff!

I don't know if this holds true for all Lowe's stores but today I bought 18-lb. bags of Coshell briquettes for $7.99 apiece at the Lowe's at N. Alpine and highway 173 in Rockford, IL. In comparison, 15-lb. bags of Stubb's were a dollar more.

Here's what Lowe's web site states for my local store (Hamilton, Ohio):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_507275-5786...=coshell+briquettes&productId=50139764&rpp=32

I think I'm going to give these a trial.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Everybody's different, but I don't like the coshell briquettes from Lowe's. I bought a bag around a week ago and used it at least 4 times. I was drawn to the price tag and decided to experiment. When I first noticed them in Lowe's at the beginning of the season, they were a couple dollars more, I believe. I remember looking at them and a sales associate noticed and asked if I needed help. I told him I wondered how well coshell would work in a WSM, and he gave me a total line of B.S. that suggested he just wanted me to buy it. I don't like how brittle they are, especially if you're someone who re-uses charcoal. I'd go to pick one up and it would crumble in my OTG. I had to dump the ash catcher more than normal. I'm discovering that I'm more of a Kingsford blue bag kinda guy. It's readily available, not too expensive, and it does what I need it to do. Just my 2 pennies.

Back