Cocktails

This week’s cocktail comes from the Portland Hunt and Alpine Club in Portland, Maine. I saw in the news this week that it has closed. I really hope it reopens. This is one of the absolute best bars I have ever had the pleasure of drinking in. Their signature drink is called the Green Eyes. It has gin, green chartreuse, lime juice, 2x simple syrup, and egg whites.

E7845DDD-F276-41BD-8EFB-90873168664D.jpeg

Yes, that’s a double. If you have the means, I encourage you to purchase their cookbook. It is owned by a young couple (perhaps family). It’s not my neighborhood (I’m on the left coast). I have no financial interest. I just really hope they are able to come back. (BTW, I don’t do garnishes on my home cocktails; it should have a lime wheel.)

My go to drink now is rum punch.

Frozen pint glass, filled with ice, then pour over ice, in order....

1.5 ounces Malibu Black (regular Malibu or coconut rum works, but Black is 70 proof)
1.5 ounces orange juice
Fill nearly to the top with pineapple juice
Grenadine pour slowly, to taste. (I just keep adding grenadine to a jar of marachino cherries in the fridge and pour from that and drop a couple cherries in too)
Doesn't even need a stir and you get the pretty color.

IMG_20200402_192938199.jpg

IMG_20200401_203527878.jpg

IMG_20200326_192835095.jpg

IMG_20200405_121517278.jpg

IMG_20200410_204251761.jpg

I've been drinking a lot lately.... Just saying. Lol

I used to make a cocktail that was designed by Paul Child, (Julia’s husband) the “Bhudda’s Eye”
Three parts gin, two parts green creme de menthe, a splash of Roses Lime juice.
Everything goes in a mixing glass over ice, gently stir and strain into cocktail glass and marvel at the beautiful emerald color!
Breast rule applies here (one is not enough three is too many)
I use a small “Rolly Polly” glasses.
About ten years ago, we were enjoying these out in the back yard playing with the grandchildren all of a sudden I hear the sound of a glass hitting the table and my (4year old) grandson say “Ahhh!” The adults just looked at each other and after the shock passed we all just started laughing like there was no tomorrow! Alex had a grand time the rest of the afternoon until he decided he wanted to take a nap!

I need to try John Prine’s vodka and ginger ale! Better snag that when I go pick up baked goods in a couple of hours! Oh, cigarettes nine miles long too! No, I’ve been really good about staying a non smoker!

Substitute vodka for me. Only way I can deal with gin is with tonic :D Typically not a cocktail guy anyway. Prefer a simple scotch/rocks maybe a twist, or a good bourbon. Though I have been known to imbibe on a well done old fashioned made by old school bartender like they have at Ishnala Supper Club on Mirror Lake in WI

I used to make a cocktail that was designed by Paul Child, (Julia’s husband) the “Bhudda’s Eye”
Three parts gin, two parts green creme de menthe, a splash of Roses Lime juice.
Everything goes in a mixing glass over ice, gently stir and strain into cocktail glass and marvel at the beautiful emerald color!
I hope it tastes WAY better than it sounds!!

As far as ginger ale goes, years ago it was my favorite mixer for Southern Comfort. Back when Southern Comfort was good; I could swear it somehow changed for the worse...it musta got lost, somewhere down the line.

"Gold Rush".....essentially a Whiskey Sour, only with honey syrup instead of simple syrup.

2 oz bourbon
3/4 oz honey syrup (1 part honey, 3/4 part water, simmered and cooled)
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

IMG_6425.jpeg

Well, I’ve tried a couple of “Handsome Johnny” cocktail from John Prine, in memory of the wordsmith.
He a better writer than barman but, it’s not bad. Definitely needs lemon or lime, I was out of limes. Pretty basic tall drink. Same proportions as a G&T or Rum and Coke made with diet ginger ale: “Because you don’t want to get diabetes from drinking!” They will be better when I can enjoy one in the warm sun, snowed all friggin week!

Back