Clothes washing machines - any reccos of new machines and manufacturer experiences?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Seeking input/feedback/experiences on any clothes washing machines bought in the past few years.

Wanting to glean info on build quality, reliability, clothes washing ability and likes or dislikes.

If you have a matching dryer (as in your bought a new set) then that'd be good too.

One of my concerns is that front load machines still build up mold these days and I'd like to see if this issue has been corrected or overcome by a manufacturer.

TYIA.

We have an LG top load impeller type and it has done a great job for several years-about 8 years so far. We always had Whirlpool, but this is better. The last couple Whirlpools developed rust that stained the clothes. Has not been a problem with the LG. Bought the matching dryer and happy with it too. We have always had good luck and good life with dryers and usually just replace to match the new washers. Both have large capacity, are quiet and have more features than we can ever need. No problems with either so far. Would replace with another LG if needed.

Last edited:
LG 4.5cuft top load washer/7.3cuft gas dryer pair 5 years ago from Best Buy. They price matched the Home Depot across the street. Whirlpool/Kenmore exclusively for decades before, going thru 3 sets since 1986. Repaired those when I could (wash program timer, water inlet temp sensor, gas igniter); replaced when I couldn't. Wife wanted SS tub and no agitator, said the previous one damaged delicates. That and fabric softener dispenser in agitator on old one was a real mess to use and keep working. Only quibbles with the LGs are everything's a program, you can't just turn a dial to rinse if that's all you want it to do. Located in unheated garage, the drain pump makes a rubbing noise when unseasonably cold. The glass lid anti-slam mechanism also makes a loud crack noise when first opened after being closed after the previous use (regardless of temp). Surprised the dryer has no interior light for its price range.

We have the same as this review but the washer is 5 years old and the dryer ( gas ) is 3.
Wife likes the steam/sanitize on both ( dryer has a water inlet plumbed with a Y ) and the small washboard sink on the washer.
Both are huge, she uses a gripper to reach in.

We have Samsung front loader.. It's our second. Wife likes it, no mold. Mold primarily happens from folks who use fabric softener but she does not. Also she leaves the door cracked open. IDK if that is over kill but she does. The first one lasted for 10 years of VERY hard use. IIRC we've had this one now about 6 maybe 7 years. It had real hard use as well at first but now not so much since no children living here anymore. If this one goes, not sure what I will get.

We have Samsung front loader.. It's our second. Wife likes it, no mold. Mold primarily happens from folks who use fabric softener but she does not. Also she leaves the door cracked open. IDK if that is over kill but she does. The first one lasted for 10 years of VERY hard use. IIRC we've had this one now about 6 maybe 7 years. It had real hard use as well at first but now not so much since no children living here anymore. If this one goes, not sure what I will get.
our first Maytags lasted from 2002 through 2018. raised three kids on those with sports uniforms and more. very happy with those. we then upgraded to current Maytags which are good but the wife hates the soap dispenser and a few other things about the washer. new home is all electric so we're going to leave the current like-new units with the home and buy new as the dryer needs to be electric. looking at LG, and GE at the moment. want to learn more of what to buy and what to avoid from real owner's experiences. thus this discussion.

Last edited:
In 2012 I bought this LG top load that works great.

I'm happy with it. I bought the matching natural gas dryer

in 2019 a friend bought this one.

a lot of top load units listed in this thread. curious; i've read top loaders are more harsh/abusive on clothes when washing them. any validity to that? as compared to front loaders.

my top loader does not have an agitator. It is a big, deep tub and the water jets in from the bottom which sloshes around independently from the side tank. mine works like this one.

Good luck with your search currently going thru the same thing we ruled out front loaders know to many people that have them with mold issues. Not to mention you need to bend down to load the machine of course for extra money you can buy the stand and most of them if you decide when a cycle starts to add more clothes unlike a top loader there is no way to add more clothes.

Larry's wife and its not overkill leaves the door cracked open which for many of these machines thats what your supposed to do. I do think GE makes a front loader with a special design to beat the mold issue.

Yes top loaders are supposed to be more harsh than front loaders in 40 plus years can't really say I have noticed anything excessive. Maybe it was time to throw those clothes away anyway. :unsure:

Top load washers dominate the market ours has an agitator which has pros and cons. Even Samsung and LG were more or less forced to come out with models that have agitators. Whirlpool owns a patent where you can pull it out lets saying doing comforters for example then put it back in for normal use as the agitator will generally clean clothes better. My wife hates the HE machines which we have one currently and she does not want another one providing they still make non HE machines.

Maytag top load washer commercial grade residential with matching dryer. Has a 10 yr warranty.. Nothing fancy so less to go wrong. Don't buy into the hype of front load. This top load gets so many more loads done vs our old front load and much bigger. No smell like you get with front loads and also cleans way better. Strictly use powder detergent. No need for pedestals either. Paid half as much and 10 times happier.

FWIW I have read it's recommended to leave the door or lid open on all washers front OR top load. We looked at top loaders but the new crop of them have tubs so deep my short wife cannot reach the bottom to get stuff out. So we have the FL with stands

We haven't been in the market in the last 16 years. We have a matching front loader Whirlpool washer and dryer. Dryer has steam assist touch up. They probably run 3 to 4 loads a week. Washer only has had one repair (DIY) a water level senor died, but was easy to replace. LP gas Dryer just had a renewal kit (DIY) which included new rollers, tensioner and belt. It started squealing which let us know it was time. Both on stands. We've used the Afresh tabs in the washer for years and as Larry has said leave the doors/lids open when not in use. We probably will stick with Whirlpool again in the future since we have height restrictions from built-in cabinets in the laundry room. That knocked out the GE pairs back in 2008- too tall.

We are in the same boat, looking to add a new washer and dryer. We’ve only had top load simple washer and dryers, the rental has a stacked front load washer and drier and I’m not a fan of either. We may go basic when we move back home.

I had a Samsung front loader, no mold problems but we leave the door open. The issue was out of balance loads sounds like someone inside with a sledge hammer. Replaced that with a Whirlpool front loader, had the computers replaced under warranty the first year. The worst issue is out of balance loads cause the machine which is super heavy to walk out of the place it is supposed to be and I have to manhandle it back into place. :cry:

One of my concerns is that front load machines still build up mold these days and I'd like to see if this issue has been corrected or overcome by a manufacturer.
I had a friend who bought the first-gen Maytag Neptune front loader in 1997 and he had problems with mildew (those machines had a 60% fail rate overall).

We had a Whirlpool front loader (2008-2021) and LG front loader (2021-2023 when we moved) and never had this problem with either one. I think you can avoid it if you are fastidious about doing the following:
  1. Run the cleaning cycle every month. Add it to your calendar as a task so you remember to do it! Both the Whirlpool and LG machines had a dedicated Clean Cycle in which you add 1/2 cup of bleach and the machine uses a high water level to sanitize the drum.
  2. After the cleaning cycle, use a clean dry towel to thoroughly wipe out and dry the deep gasket around the opening. The cleaning cycle does a good job of removing most of what collects on it, but a quick wipe finishes the job. Also, wipe the gasket on the inside of door itself, the door glass, and the metal surround around the door opening.
  3. When not in use, leave the detergent drawer and the door open! No one likes to do this, but this allows the machine to dry out and is probably one of the most important things you can do to prevent mildew.
  4. Occasionally clean the detergent drawer. Take it out, take it apart, rinse under warm water, dry it, reassemble and reinstall.
Loved the LG WM3900HWA washer and DLEX3900W dryer. Wish I still had them!

I had a friend who bought the first-gen Maytag Neptune front loader in 1997 and he had problems with mildew (those machines had a 60% fail rate overall).
we had the revised version, circa 2002. that washer lasted forever but still had mold issues. the dryer was the reason we upgraded to new machines, the then current Maytag front loaders. reliability has been rock solid. the wife hates the soap dispenser and its failure to warn when empty.

we do leave the door open when done washing but your added advice/points make even more sense.

overall, we've had extraordinary reliability with Maytag units, front loaders. just now, when compared to the competition. the competition has slightly higher ratings. specifically LG and GE machines over Maytag (washers are my main research here as dryers don't appear to have much/many complaints, if at all, in reviews.

i prefer to buy from costco due to their customer service and quality experiences we've had in the past buying appliances from them.

for the two of us and maybe the daughter on occasion (so 2.5 to 3 of us) I think the 5 cu ft is plenty of washer. some FLs are 4.5 cu ft. any input on sizing from current owners?

our bulky items are bath towels, we like to use bath sheets which are larger than regular towels and comforters need washing. so i am leaning to the 5 cu ft size.

FWIW I have read it's recommended to leave the door or lid open on all washers front OR top load. We looked at top loaders but the new crop of them have tubs so deep my short wife cannot reach the bottom to get stuff out. So we have the FL with stands
My wife is 4'12" and can reach the bottom. Made sure before we got a top load.

Back