Cloth Bread

BFletcher

TVWBB Honor Circle
You know I'm a novice at breadmaking. When I do it, I proof in a basket with a cloth liner but the flour picks up the pattern and it looks weird. Can I lay a sheet of parchment paper in the basket, or should I do something else? Thx

20210418_170013_2.jpg

You know I'm a novice at breadmaking. When I do it, I proof in a basket with a cloth liner but the flour picks up the pattern and it looks weird. Can I lay a sheet of parchment paper in the basket, or should I do something else? Thx

View attachment 26387
Whatever your doing looks fantastic. I don't use a basket at all. I just proof on parchment paper like you and then it makes it easy to put in and take out of your Dutch oven.

Fletch, I agree with Joe, whatever you are doing, it looks excellent! I use a "tea towel" (otherwise known as my wife's kitchen hand towels....which annoys her) to lay my bread inside my banneton/proofing baskets. I dust the towel lightly with a 50/50 mix of rice and WW flour. It works well for me, and the only pattern I seem to get is a very light transfer of the basket itself. I tried using the bannetons with just flour (no towel), and while it worked just fine a lot of time, it only takes one stuck loaf to really ruin your baking day!

As to your question, sure, you can use parchment to line your proofing container (banneton, basket, bowl, whatever). I would expect that the bread will stick to it, though, so I would be inclined to proof it with whatever side you plan to score facing up in the basket (or, if you just let the natural seams burst open, then just that "bottom" side from shaping would face up.) Transfer your loaf directly from the proofing container to your DO, pop on the lid on into the oven. Should work out just fine!

Or....keep doing what you're doing and just eat the "weird" towel marks! :) Seriously, though, that's a lovely loaf of bread!

R

It seems like some of folks gave up on using them.

Certainly not going to debate that you do have to have a certain amount of knowledge to make effective use of these things. Nor that the general sentiment can't be applied to other things, like kettle grills, bullet smokers, etc. :)

On days when I'm feeling a little.... I'll just leave it at a little less than intelligent, I'll go look at online comments about topics I'm familiar with. I'll either be completely horrified, or feel a bit better.

Well, that loaf looks great!

Lots of things you can do during the proof. Really depends on the type of bread. What type of proofing vessel you are using.

The dough has to be able to stand up to the surface you’re putting it into.

The barrier between that surface and the dough has to stand up to both barriers.

So what was you’re bread recipe?

When you say basket?

Cloth liner? What?

Sorry for all the questions. Bake a lot of bread. Lots of variables

So what was you’re bread recipe?

When you say basket?

Cloth liner? What?

Sorry for all the questions. Bake a lot of bread. Lots of variables
Thanks for wanting to help! It's a recipe on my Kindle app that I haven't yet transferred and since I have very little experience I don't know what relevant detail to provide other than to say it's a same-day method. When I first began making bread a few months ago I had to start with a quick method because we didn't have space for an overnight process.

I'm using this basket with a linen liner:

1619365774151.png

Thanks for wanting to help! It's a recipe on my Kindle app that I haven't yet transferred and since I have very little experience I don't know what relevant detail to provide other than to say it's a same-day method. When I first began making bread a few months ago I had to start with a quick method because we didn't have space for an overnight process.

I'm using this basket with a linen liner:

View attachment 26713
When proofing in a basket with or without cloth flour is going to be your friend. It also needs to be a pretty dry environment.

I quit proofing in my baskets a few years back. I got tired of loafs sticking. My mom gave me a this pottery proofing bowl for Christmas. I’ve used it a few times and it works really good. Usually though I just proof in a stainless bowl. I also use a proofing box I made out of a plastic tote. I have a Raisenne dough proofer that I put in it. Our house is too cold most of the year for proper proofing.

3D05AC38-5273-4DC0-B030-AA2ED5586E53.jpegimage.jpg

Back