Cleaning the 22.5" Grates!? Any Tips?

One thing for those who use the dishwasher is to use a dishwasher cleaner ( like Dishwasher Magic ) soon afterward, esp if you have a white interior.

Tim

I just hit mine with a wire brush after they heat up in the smoker before a cook and call it good. I think i cleaned the water pan once and decided never again. I do make sure i scrape out most of the leftover gunk in the pan though.

I usually soak the grates in hot water and Dawn dish soap in the laundry tub for about an hour. Then hit them with a wire brush real good. Turns out real good.

I put mine in a large lawn and leaf bag and spray with oven cleaner and let sit over night. Rinse them off the next day. Harry Soo idea.

That pan is a great idea. I have a galvanized tub that works well, but the water heater pan is cheaper, smaller and weighs less. Personally, I soak my grate in water and dish soap and then take a sponge with ScotchBrite on one side to it and it turns out looking like new. If you don't want to use the degreaser, try soap and a little elbow grease. It's not too hard after the grates soak. Also a good idea to spray the grates with Pam before cooking. That helps a lot with clean up too.

For those of you who put them in your dishwasher - you better hold on to your wives. They are saints. I can't imagine the look I'd get if I stuck my bbq/grilling equipment in the dishwasher fresh from a cook. I've stuck some rib racks in there but that's after I've soaked them and got them to a reasonably clean state first.

The grates on my 18.5" fit perfectly in my slop sink. That and a brillo pad works great the following day. I must agree that I never look forward to the clean up hah

Whenever I fire up my wsm i put the grates on top of the charcoal ring and burn off all the crud. Use a grill grate brush to help clean it off and your set. No real need to wash.

You're supposed to wash your grates??? I must have missed that memo :cool:.

I'm with S.Six. I just get the Performer smoking hot and burn the heck out of them, a little wire brush and back in business.

I just opened my WSM and there was 4 inches of water in it! and not in the pan! best I can tell I stupidly got some in there when i pressure washed my patio. dumb dumb dumb. there is some rust on the grates and a little in the smoker. thankfully no mold! anyone have any ideas as to how to clean that off?

Is the rust on the smoker on the hardware? If the screws are rusted just get new stainless ones from Home Depot. As for other places you could try "navel jelly" also from Home Depot. Good Luck!

Is the rust on the smoker on the hardware? If the screws are rusted just get new stainless ones from Home Depot. As for other places you could try "navel jelly" also from Home Depot. Good Luck!

no a little bit near the door. thanks. is navel jelly food safe?

HAHA! Bob, I think you mean Naval Jelly, like something that might be used on a ship. Navel jelly, if present, should be disposed of discretely. ;)

yes on the porcelain. mostly I'm worried about the grates

Rust on the charcoal grate is not uncommon, since they are made of unplated carbon steel. That's why they are greasy/oily from the factory, to keep them from rusting before you receive them. If there is significant rust on the charcoal grate, some elbow grease with a stiff wire brush, followed by some steel wool should have it back in respectable condition.

thank you sirs! I assume it's food safe?

Good question. It contains phosphoric acid, which is sometimes used as a food additive. And it sounds like you'd only need it for the charcoal grate, not the cooking grates? So probably not a big deal, especially if you neutralize the acid afterwards and give it a good rinse.

Also be aware that the acidic treatment from the jelly may darken the color of your charcoal grate, but may also give it better rust inhibiting properties for the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid#Rust_removal

http://www.ehow.com/how_5610986_neutralize-naval-jelly.html

If it were my charcoal grate, I'd probably just scrape the rust off with a wire bristle brush and then fire it up. But other parts of the WSM would concern me more if they were rusting.

Back