Cleaning the 22.5" Grates!? Any Tips?

no it's the cooking grates. the charcoal grate is rusted too, but I can't say I really care about that. that's going to get obliterated one way or another anyway.

both the cookign grates are pretty mildly rusted. not horribly so. I think i'll try a steel wool first. thanks for the ideas.

Any chance you can upload a photo of the rust on the cooking grates? Is the rust only at the welded junctions where the bars cross each other? It's most likely just surface rust, but it would be helpful to see what state they are actually in.

The naval jelly would probably remove the rust from them, but I'd be a little more hesitant on using an acid like this on the cooking grates.

Best of luck!

Chris

Last edited:
Any chance you can upload a photo of the rust on the cooking grates? Is the rust only at the welded junctions where the bars cross each other? It's most likely just surface rust, but it would be helpful to see what state they are actually in.

The naval jelly would probably remove the rust from them, but I'd be a little more hesitant on using an acid like this on the cooking grates.

Best of luck!

Chris

no there is some on the bars too. I'd guess surface rust too. thanks! if steel wool doesn't work i'll post a picture

Whenever you brush it after cooking, you're creating tons of tiny metal particles, from the grates, from the brush... those particles floating around will land on and become stuck in the residual grease on the cooking grate bars. I'd bet those particles are all that has rusted on you. If the WSM had some standing water and was also exposed to heat, such as from being in the CA sun, it would effectively become a big humidy chamber, so the rust is not terribly surprising. I wish you well, but I think you'll be fine with just the steel wool.

Back