cleaning grill grates

Mark Foreman

TVWBB Wizard
Spent a bunch of hours today cleaning the grates from my performer kettle and Genesis II (stainless steel).

Put grates into plastic bags, sprayed with easy off oven cleaner. closed up the bags. Waited 2 1/2 hours. Scrubbed them for close to 3 hours using scrubbing pads, Bar Keeper Friend, Citrus Safe grill cleaner, hot water with Dawn and only got off about 90% of the crud.

The big issue was hard baked on residue on the bottom side of the grates. It just would not come off, no matter what i did.

Tops were pretty clean.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

top of grate
1623273589632.jpeg

Bottom of grate
1623273655950.jpeg

Last edited:
You mean you spent all that time seasoning the grill….AND THEN YOU CLEANED IT ALL OFF!!?
Good God man! Don’t do that again!

Seriously though, most of us start the grill on high to heat up the grill. Kills what needs to be killed. Then scrape the top of the grates and dial in your desired temp and cook away.
I can’t remember the last time I cleaned grates… I just replace them when they are shot, and that’s not likely to happen with the high end grates I now have.

Gerry

PS. On the flavorizer bars, make sure you clean them thoroughly after each cook! Leave absolutely no residue!!🤓

I figure anything that might live through a 500 degree preheat is welcome to kill me! I do scrape and clean but, I don’t worry about getting them spotless though.
Grill and relax! I prescribe a regimen of 12 oz. curls, 6 reps each, repeat as you feel the need.

You know that there is a very unscientific report that food doesn't stick to well used seasoned grates compared to brand new shiny grates?
I thought I should pass that along..;)

I just purchased Member's Mark Commercial Oven, Grill and Fryer Cleaner to clean mine as well. I plan on spraying them & placing them in a plastic trash bag. I'll probably do this late Friday & report back.

Spent a bunch of hours today cleaning the grates from my performer kettle and Genesis II (stainless steel).

Put grates into plastic bags, sprayed with easy off oven cleaner. closed up the bags. Waited 2 1/2 hours. Scrubbed them for close to 3 hours using scrubbing pads, Bar Keeper Friend, Citrus Safe grill cleaner, hot water with Dawn and only got off about 90% of the crud.

The big issue was hard baked on residue on the bottom side of the grates. It just would not come off, no matter what i did.

Tops were pretty clean.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

top of grate
View attachment 29932

Bottom of grate
View attachment 29933

Man...3hrs scrubbing? I'm too lazy for that. Probably would've ordered new ones! :)

I wonder if running them through a self cleaning oven cycle would do the trick?

That works (basically a burn off) to a certain extent.

But if you reeeeeeally want them clean, do the hack used for SS indoor oven racks. Ammonia in a sealed hefty bag over night. Just make sure you do it safely outside -- the fumes get very strong. Extra points if the hefty bag is left out with the sun beating down on it.

But why?

Years ago I tossed my SS grates in favor of cast iron. Because the Mrs. was always busting me to keep the SS grates shiny. Black on black is easier and looks better.

I spray both sides of the grates with Pam on the day of the cook and then use Easy Off the following day. I let it sit until the following day, clean it the following day, and then into the dishwasher while my wife is at work.

PS. On the flavorizer bars, make sure you clean them thoroughly after each cook! Leave absolutely no residue!!🤓

they are "flavorizer" bars after all, so i assume they do impart a certain amount of flavor from one use to the next. i don't want any flavor from tuna on my burgers, or burger flavor on my chicken, etc., so i've been cleaning mine after almost every use this season.

cornell chicken tonight!

Attachments

• 20210616_082152_HDR.jpg
    20210616_082152_HDR.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 8
I actually over cleaned my grates. At least that is how it appears. New performer in October last year........would clean it totally ever second or third cook........was a pain in the butt. Grill started to have a rainbow shine on it and some places would get a thin layer of surface rust on it. I stopped cleaning it and treated it like my cast propane grills....still rusts slightly but I clean that area before I use it. Considering getting new grates.
Is that even a thing though?

I just purchased Member's Mark Commercial Oven, Grill and Fryer Cleaner to clean mine as well. I plan on spraying them & placing them in a plastic trash bag. I'll probably do this late Friday & report back.

Waiting for report and pictures :unsure:

I sprayed the grate & placed it in a large black trash bag & let it sit for at least 12 hours. I did this twice, yet it only cleaned it about 70-75%. I then resorted to a wire cup brush attached to my Dewalt drill. This method got a lot of the baked on crud off, still not perfect, but substantially better! No pictures taken.

I clean off my grill when I’m done with my cook.
I also brush the grill a bit after my coals are heated up and that’s it.

I know this is debatable but I would never put any chemicals into any of my ovens.
If need be I might use a stainless wheel on a drill motor or a stainless mesh Brillo thing but I can’t remember the last time I did that.

Back