Clean-up of Charcoal Grate

I have replaced mine. I keep the vents open to stop mold from forming. Unfortunately, an older cover will let water in. When the bottom section fills with water the charcoal grate is exposed. I now remove everything that is inside the smoker the day after a cook.

I try to store mine with the mid section upside down. Doing that, the lid fits over that section, instead of into it. That seems to minimize water intrusion. I've read some folks will go a step further and put a garbage bag over the smoker, THEN the cover. And I keep the bottom vents open to allow for some airflow.

It's supposed to be cleaned? :ROFLMAO:

Funny timing. I actually just came in from 'cleaning' mine. My WSM has been stored with the center section on properly recently. And as we all know, water gets in that way. To make matters worse, during a recent thunderstorm or two, the cover was off, so I had a bottom section full of water and charcoal 'mud'. I just cleaned it out and hosed it down - including the grate - and am letting it dry in the sun.
Is there another way to store them that stops the water ingress? Many thanks.

Flip the mid-section over for storage That way, the lid will fit over that section, instead of into it.

You know, I've had my 18 for 12 years and my 22 for 7 years and I finally got around to trying this.
Duh.. No more water in the bowl and no rust or mold!

Tim

You know, I've had my 18 for 12 years and my 22 for 7 years and I finally got around to trying this.
Duh.. No more water in the bowl and no rust or mold!

Tim

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why Weber hasn't tweaked the design to fix this.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why Weber hasn't tweaked the design to fix this.

I think Chris A addressed this somewhere.
IIRC it had Weber claiming that the BBQ gooo would drip down on the outside instead of the inside.
I have no problem with that because it works as noted, but storing for any extended period we have to get a little creative.:)

Tim

I think Chris A addressed this somewhere.
IIRC it had Weber claiming that the BBQ gooo would drip down on the outside instead of the inside.
I have no problem with that because it works as noted, but storing for any extended period we have to get a little creative.:)

Tim

But why doesn't BBQ Goo go down the sides of kettles? I guess it isn't as steep a slope as the WSM.

Back