Clean-up of Charcoal Grate

It's supposed to be cleaned? :ROFLMAO:

Funny timing. I actually just came in from 'cleaning' mine. My WSM has been stored with the center section on properly recently. And as we all know, water gets in that way. To make matters worse, during a recent thunderstorm or two, the cover was off, so I had a bottom section full of water and charcoal 'mud'. I just cleaned it out and hosed it down - including the grate - and am letting it dry in the sun.

If it’s covered with grease, it shouldn’t rust.
My Weber Performer Deluxe is equipped with a SlowNSear Plus and DripNGriddle Pan which burns/catches 99% of the Grease and when cooking chicken it catches a bunch. After many cooks there is very little grease drippings on the Charcoal Grate.

Oh, I now remember that sometime ago my Costa Rican neighbor had a small snake wrapped-around his Weber Charcoal Grate I guess licking the grease drippings.

Last edited:
Maybe once a year I'll drop it flat on my driveway, that usually knocks off any rust.
They usually get a little or alotta concave after many uses, so I'll flip it over and step on it till flat .

Tim

Thanx for all the replies and it looks-like very few, if any, have ever replaced their Charcoal Grate. Also, I can see why no one replaces it even if has a few holes as of today Amazon.com is selling the Charcoal Grate for the WSM 18" for around $50.

Last edited:
I'm still on the original 06 OTG and 08 WSM grates.
I did do the double grate mod on both, so that could factor in to longevity, I dunno..

Tim

Thanx for all the replies and it looks-like very few, if any, have ever replaced their Charcoal Grate. Also, I can see why no one replaces it even if has a few holes as of today Amazon.com is selling the Charcoal Grate for the WSM 18" for around $50.

Only $24.99 on Weber's site. Though shipping to Costa Rica may not be cheap.

Only $24.99 on Weber's site. Though shipping to Costa Rica may not be cheap.

Thanx JimK; add another $30.00 plus due to Customs duties and shipping costs with a courier from Miami to Costa Rica.

When dumping the ashes, just brush the charcoal grate and charcoal chamber to remove any ashes or stuck-on debris. There's no way to prevent rust on the grate, it is raw steel and will naturally rust over time.

I have replaced mine. I keep the vents open to stop mold from forming. Unfortunately, an older cover will let water in. When the bottom section fills with water the charcoal grate is exposed. I now remove everything that is inside the smoker the day after a cook.

Am i the only one here so freaked out by Richard's snake story that I'd still be running? It'd be like the old-school cartoon, running in the air. Can't say my grill is filthy, but now I'm on the lookout for snakes...got no problems with spiders, ants, bees, etc. But to quote Indy...why did it have to be snakes?

Am i the only one here so freaked out by Richard's snake story that I'd still be running? It'd be like the old-school cartoon, running in the air. Can't say my grill is filthy, but now I'm on the lookout for snakes...got no problems with spiders, ants, bees, etc. But to quote Indy...why did it have to be snakes?
T Campbell:
As I recall it was a small non-venomous snake that resembled the notorious very lethal Coral Snake. Good thing my Costa Rican Neighbor knew-his-snakes.

Last edited:
I have replaced mine. I keep the vents open to stop mold from forming. Unfortunately, an older cover will let water in. When the bottom section fills with water the charcoal grate is exposed. I now remove everything that is inside the smoker the day after a cook.
Jeff; regarding the mold problem; I also take the door off my WSM along with all vents open.

Back