Cinnamon Pork & Rib Dust

A Cleland

TVWBB Super Fan
I am sharing what I call my secret weapon for making the best BBQ pork that I have ever tasted. Be it ribs, butts, or even just a loin, this stuff works like magic.

After many, many, years of smoking and experimentation, my wife and I have decided that this rub is by far our favorite for Butts and Ribs. It is a tweaked version of Mike Mills Magic Dust. We tried many different variations before deciding on this recipe. This makes about 2 cups of rub:

1/4 cup smoked paprika
1/4 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cub finely ground turbinado sugar
1/4 cup finely ground kosher salt
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1 tablespoon Ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup packed light brown sugar
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Mix all ingredients in a large mixing bowl until all lumps are gone. Use a small amount, finely ground in a spice grinder, to add to apple juice and use as an injection marinade before cooking. Rub down Butt or ribs with a light coat of yellow mustard, and then apply a generous coating of dust before putting meat on smoker. We sprinkle on Butt and ribs at 1 hour intervals while cooking, and spritzing with apple juice.

Anyone who has ever tasted our finished products swear that they are the best that they have ever tasted by far. Try it, I promise you won't regret it.

I gave this rub a try on some peach-infused pork butt, and...well, that dog will hunt! Looking forward to using it on ribs soon...up to now, my fave has been Historic Lynchburg's Cinnamon Chipotle rub, but I like this one as least as well. For my own taste, I bumped the cinnamon up a tick, and subbed ground chipotle for the cayenne.

Thanks for sharing!!!

I like everything except the cinnamon in that receipe. I suggest rubbing the pork with yellow mustard first then put the rub on

Back