CI Cooking

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
It's a bit cold and wet to fire up the Weber so I thought I would make a little cold weather comfort food. FYI, cold means in the 50's here in SoCal.

IMG_6596_zpsb5964e07.jpg

Been using Larry The Cable Guy corn muffin mix for a while now. They always have the spicy version at the 99 cents only store.

IMG_6597_zps5a0c9911.jpg

Added a little diced jalapeno for some bonus heat

IMG_6598_zpseb7b8d7c.jpg

Dropped it into a hot CI pan and tossed it into the oven for 11 minutes. Awesome way to start the evening.

I'm gonna have to go to the 99 cent store now and look for some corn bread mix now, that looks great!!!

I'm gonna have to go to the 99 cent store now and look for some corn bread mix now, that looks great!!!

Make sure you get the "spicy" version. The regular one taste kinda bland. The 99 cent store usually just puts them in the same spot.

Needed to get some seasoning on the pan so I made popcorn to finish the evening. Note - if you run table salt through a coffee grinder for just a second or two you get popcorn salt!

IMG_6600_zps90b97815.jpg

Nice! But "Larry the Cable Guy" corn bread mix? Now I've seen everything. :D

Tell me more about seasoning cast iron by cooking popcorn.

Good lookin' corn bread and popcorn. I think I have the same cast iron pan as yours. Wagner 8 deep skillet. I like to pop small batches of popcorn in mine from time to time to help keep the pan seasoned.

Nice! But "Larry the Cable Guy" corn bread mix? Now I've seen everything. :D

Tell me more about seasoning cast iron by cooking popcorn.

Seasoning might not be the correct term. Cooking popcorn requires a fairly hot pan with a liberal amount of vegetable oil. After the popcorn is done you just let the pan cool for around 10 minutes and then rinse with hot water and a quick wipe with a paper towel. Instant shiny cook surface! It is ready for the next cook. Note - When I made the cornbread I just sprayed a bit of Pam in the pan and threw it in the oven to preheat with the oven. Poured in the mix when the oven was hot and tossed it back in. Cornbread fell right out.

I am not the authority on CI but I do know it likes a little oil...

Mike

Back