Chuck Tender Roast?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
So, stopped by Walmart to confirm that they were sold out of the ribs that were on sale and noticed they have a discount meat section where they put stuff that's close to the sell-by date. Most of them didn't look so great, starting to get brownish spots and such, but I grabbed a few that looked good. I got a chuck roast ($3.82/lb.), which I'm planning to use for PSB at some point soon, and two labeled as "chuck tender roast" ($4.17/lb.):

I've done some googling and it seems like "chuck tender roast" = "chuck tender steak"? If so, I'm thinking an overnight marinade followed by a reverse sear procedure (indirect cook to about 120-130, then onto direct to firm up the crust?) is in order? For the marinade, I've used sort of a hodge-podge of montreal steak seasoning, worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and bbq sauce for London Broil in the past, so I'd probably go with that unless someone has another suggestion.

In any event, I'm going to keep one of the CTRs out for cooking on Sunday, but vacuum seal and freeze the other and the CR for later use. I'm also going to remember to check that discount bin at Walmart when I stop there in the future. ;)

Just an FYI. Chuck tender is just another name for chuck eye. If you care to search chuck eye, I'm sure there's much info. Never did one myself.

I have to disagree with Dave on this one.
The more correct name is mock tender roast.
More info here:
http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/compare/cuts-of-meat/how-to-cook/mock-tender-roast

So, based on the description on that page, there's a lot of connective tissue in there. The one that I opened up to vacuum seal seemed to have nice marbling and bit of silverskin and fat cap on one side.

That would typically mean a low & slow approach rather than what I had in mind. So, maybe inject it with some beef broth, season with SPOG, and into the WSM at 275-300 until "fork tender", probably 3-4 hours?

Last edited:
Depends on what the store/butcher/meat person labels it as, and what you see on the internet.http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html
I've had two different butchers label cuts from the chuck-eye as " chuck or mock tender " roasts, steaks. That was back in the late 90's early 2000, they might have changed the names nowadays.

Tim

Back to the op's second question.
Chad, based on your description and the pic I would go with your first option.. Let us know how it turned out.

Tim

Back to the op's second question.
Chad, based on your description and the pic I would go with your first option.. Let us know how it turned out.

Tim

Thanks. I think I'm going to put it in the WSM at 250 for a few hours over a pan of beef broth and see how things work out. I'll let you all know.

This is how it came out. Smoked at 275 for two hours on a rack over some onions and beef broth,than covered for another hour and a half. The flavor was good, but it was dry and tough. Sliced thin and doused in gravy, it was edible. Will have to try a different preparation next time.
https://flic.kr/p/radu6p

You could cube it up and simmer for stews or chili. The first pic looked pretty lean so I thought you were going with your first option, reverse sear sorta London broil. I think anything past M/rare would be tough and dry.

Tim

You could cube it up and simmer for stews or chili. The first pic looked pretty lean so I thought you were going with your first option, reverse sear sorta London broil. I think anything past M/rare would be tough and dry.

Tim

Yeah, I was out doing yard work and didn't notice when the temp started climbing. It was about 209 when I pulled it, waaaay past well done. There was one ribbon of gristle running down the middle of it which didn't break down and gelatinize, but even if it had, that wouldn't have saved it. I think I'm going to cut the other one up in to smaller steaks for a quick grill dinner.

Back