Christmas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve M:
I'll be enduring some bland food at the inlaws so today I maidened my new mini WSM using Paul k's stuffed pork loin and some applewood...wonderful recipe, thank you Paul! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That pork loin recipe is fantastic!

I will be doing my 1st standing rib roast, along with some stuffed cornish game hens. I have been cooking the game hens every year for the past 20 something years, but this is my first Christmas with my new friend, the WSM. So the traditionalists will still have the Cornish Game Hens, albeit smoked in the WSM. The progressives will have their prime rib. It's cold in Michigan (surprise!) so it will be a challenge, but one in which I am up to the challenge!

I'm smoking a glazed ham for Christmas dinner. We usually have turkey but we decided to go with ham this year for a change...

Merry Christmas everyone...!!!

We have an orphans Christmas dinner every year for any of our friends that aren't doing the family thing for some reason or other.It usually ranges from 6-12 people,this year it is looking to be 9 people but friends are allowed to bring friends so you never know.Doing apple brined turkey,ham,smashed potatoes,mashed potatoes some kind of sweet potato thing,corn,turnip, apple crisp for desert and maybe a chocolate caramel cheese cake if I have time. Oh yeah and had a request for ABTs so doing those for a starter plus whatever other people bring.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by barret:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
...At least in Portland you will have lots of good beer available! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh yes...Portland is the beer city of the Pacific Northwest, and the US!
icon_biggrin.gif
I always love visiting my bro- and sis-in-law because we get immersed in the city's beer culture. Boise's getting better about its craft brew scene (we now have 4 locations in town that carry all kinds of good and different stuff), but Portland is still above and beyond. I know we will have a great selection of beers available to pair with no matter what we eat, grilled or not!

Looking foward to it!

Barret </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My job is in the process of moving overseas. Our company bought a solar cell co in Portland and they are trying to get me to move there. I really dont want to leave friends and my house is paid for and from what I hear housing is very high there. I have not decided yet. My job will be gone in june. I wouldn't mind talking to someone from that area if anyone interested.

I am thinking of making yorkshire pudding with ham fat. That would not be any kind of sin would it?

doing a rib-roast as well but going to try it on my kettle with the rotisserie....have not been able to find any info on here on best method....just going to go for it
icon_smile.gif

I will be doing a whole beef tenderloin.

Too many other things to list for sides being done by the rest of the family.

I am smoking some bacon tomorrow so on Christmas morning I will be frying some of that up with some farm fresh eggs over easy and some homemade toasted Asiago cheese bread. For dinner some Cornish Game Hens on the Weber with twice baked butternut squash, crashed potatoes, and something green haven't decided on what green to cook any ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dksmith17:
I'm doing a Crowned lamb. Never done it before. Anyone have any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They're a breeze to do. Very quick. Do you have sides planned already? I either base how I do the lamb on what I am planning for the sides, or vice versa.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dksmith17:
I'm doing a Crowned lamb. Never done it before. Anyone have any suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They're a breeze to do. Very quick. Do you have sides planned already? I either base how I do the lamb on what I am planning for the sides, or vice versa. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing finalized yet. I'm thinking some sort of a mashed potato type dish (maybe a gratin) and a salad.

A gratin would be nice.

For serving, one often fills the center of the crown with a starch or veg. It's a presentation thing, not a requirement. Going that route, one often fills with potatoes (mashed or otherwise), or with a roasted or sautéed green veg, or the like.

Any flavors in mind? Lamb does well with garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, mint, coriander, among others in the Mediterranean mode, as well as the flavors of N Africa, like cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, et al.

Do you have a roasting pan just large enough for the roast? If not, one can be fashioned. A rack to fit the pan? If not, one can be rigged.

The only thing I'm on for Christmas dinner is dessert. The requested item is Banana's foster. Quick and easy with high audience appeal. It's like being called for an encore.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill_W:
The only thing I'm on for Christmas dinner is dessert. The requested item is Banana's foster. Quick and easy with high audience appeal. It's like being called for an encore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you see the "Weber Recipe of the Week" last week?

http://www.weber.com/grillout/...s.aspx?key=630&cid=8

Well i was set on a pork loin but a last minute change and they wanted fish instead so im smoking some pike-perch instead with the "dizzy pig-ranging river" rub. salted overnight, Apple wood temp 220-200 on the smoker atm.

Will update how it came out!

Wolgast, that fish sounds interesting. I need to try that one of these days.

Starting today with 4 boston butts (for snacks) and soaking the turkeys -- trying to decide between the apple brine or trying the bourbon maple syrup brine. (Family will not let me retire from turkeys.)
Saturday will smoke the turkey and grill a boneless leg of lamb, late dinner for at least 15, maybe 25. Lovely bride is telling me that I do not need to add any beef to the menu. Maybe some ABTs.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
A gratin would be nice.

For serving, one often fills the center of the crown with a starch or veg. It's a presentation thing, not a requirement. Going that route, one often fills with potatoes (mashed or otherwise), or with a roasted or sautéed green veg, or the like.

Any flavors in mind? Lamb does well with garlic, onion, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, mint, coriander, among others in the Mediterranean mode, as well as the flavors of N Africa, like cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, et al.

Do you have a roasting pan just large enough for the roast? If not, one can be fashioned. A rack to fit the pan? If not, one can be rigged. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the idea of the presentation thing. Maybe have to do mashed potatoes I guess... And do a sauce 'bowl' in the mashers that are in the rack? mmmmmm

I do have a roasting pan large enough.

For flavors for lamb I like lotttts of garlic and usually some sort of red wine reduction type sauce thing. Always lots of pepper on everything I eat. Maybe some lemon juice in there too with some rosemary and thyme.I sort of wing everything I do. I'm always up for new ideas.

Back