Christmas Tree Stands

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
I've been getting 5-6 feet tall Christmas Trees since 2016.

And I've been using this stand since 2017:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oasis-17-i...jOgD-XgZsxaDwO0jNw72dVZif0MY17Tvky6gVJng59gc8

This year, for the first time, the tree tipped over. Not just 1x, but 3x.

The first 2 times were on Day 3 after hanging the ornaments.

I did think it was a little crooked after I put it up, but I didn't know it could fall over.

After I fixed it after the 2nd fall on Day 3, it looked straight this time.

However, it fell over again about 3 weeks later.

I haven't had problems before this year.

Is it just bad luck? Should I keep using the same stand?

Or should I try this foot pump pedal stand next year?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07JKXPKJY/tvwb-20

(I never water the tree, but that's never been an issue before either.)

The fact that it lasted about 3 weeks this time before falling again, both means I was doing something right this time, and something wrong (because it still eventually fell). I tried fixing it now. I noticed a few of the screws didn't seem all the way tight. Is it possible for the tree to somehow become looser over time? Or does the tree shrink in diameter?

I haven't had any issues with tree stabilization before, so not sure what to think. From 2013-2015, I had a tabletop tree. From 2016-2019, a 5-6 foot tree.

(I had artificial trees when I was a kid, but I didn't like those).

I wouldn't be surprised if the trunk shrinks as the tree dries out. Maybe this year's tree is drying out faster than in previous years.

I was going to suggest that the weight of water in the stand would provide greater stability, but with a 0.5g capacity that's only ~4lbs of weight, so a negligible effect.

We always use water and get a fresh cut on the bottom of the trunk, but water uptake only lasts a couple of days so I don't know how worthwhile it is.

We've used a stand like this for many years on 6-7 ft trees. Overkill but it works great, super stable, 1.5g of water. Love the pedal feature, no matter how crooked the truck you end up with a straight tree.

Good Tidings Emerald Innovations XTS1 Swivel Straight Tree Stand for 12' Tree

I wouldn't be surprised if the trunk shrinks as the tree dries out. Maybe this year's tree is drying out faster than in previous years.

I was going to suggest that the weight of water in the stand would provide greater stability, but with a 0.5g capacity that's only ~4lbs of weight, so a negligible effect.

We always use water and get a fresh cut on the bottom of the trunk, but water uptake only lasts a couple of days so I don't know how worthwhile it is.

We've used a stand like this for many years on 6-7 ft trees. Overkill but it works great, super stable, 1.5g of water. Love the pedal feature, no matter how crooked the truck you end up with a straight tree.

Good Tidings Emerald Innovations XTS1 Swivel Straight Tree Stand for 12' Tree

Thanks for your input.

First on the fact that the tree could be shrinking as it dries out, and it could be this year's batch.

When I was at the tree lot, I pointed to 2 trees that didn't have price tags, and asked about them. They both looked decent to me but one was $5 cheaper, so I went with that one. This was my first time at this particular tree lot, as in 2017 and 2018 I went to a different one, but that one wasn't set up at the same location this year.

I don't know if the cheaper tree I picked was cheaper because it was drier, or if I went to a bad tree lot, or both.

Second, you gave another recommendation for a pedal based tree stand.

It's one thing to read reviews, but I take message board posts even more seriously.

It seems like the recommendation to use water is not just for freshness, but for weight?

I was a little nervous about getting something that using water in the pedal based stand that I linked to, because there were a few reviews that mentioned leaking.

The stand you linked to only had 1 leak review in 94 reviews.

The one I linked to had 46 leak reviews out of 2,221 reviews.

Any other pros or cons or differences between the Krinner Genie pedal tree I linked to at the end of my post, that I was considering for next year, and the Good Tidings one you linked to?

Thanks again.

What we really like about this stand is the center holder part comes out, you take it with you to the tree lot and make sure your tree fits into the holder. You get them to trim off enough of the lower branches so the trunk goes all the way down into the bottom of the holder. Turn the red accelerator ring to push the clamps against the trunk then snug them up by hand. Drop it into the base, depress the foot pedal and have your significant other tell you which direction to push the tree so it's straight. Release the pedal, push the pedal back into the base, close the little door to hid the pedal and you're done.

Instructions: http://www.dynoseasonalsolutions.com/assets/manuals/XTS1_IM.pdf

What we really like about this stand is the center holder part comes out, you take it with you to the tree lot and make sure your tree fits into the holder. You get them to trim off enough of the lower branches so the trunk goes all the way down into the bottom of the holder. Turn the red accelerator ring to push the clamps against the trunk then snug them up by hand. Drop it into the base, depress the foot pedal and have your significant other tell you which direction to push the tree so it's straight. Release the pedal, push the pedal back into the base, close the little door to hid the pedal and you're done.

Thanks, that sounds like a cool feature about being able to take the center holder part out.

Can the tree stand also be tightened by one person, without the help of someone else?

After the center holder, with the tree trunk already inside, is dropped into the base, can I hold it upright with one hand, then use the pedal? It seems like it's possible from the instructions, but wanted to get your input.

I thought the current screw tree stand I've had since 2017 wasn't easy, but doable, with one person.

Can the tree stand also be tightened by one person, without the help of someone else?
Yes.

After the center holder, with the tree trunk already inside, is dropped into the base, can I hold it upright with one hand, then use the pedal? It seems like it's possible from the instructions, but wanted to get your input.
Yes. The longer your arms and legs, the easier. :)

We get 7-8' trees
Use a stand similar to this
Have for 20 yrs
No issues

The nursery where we buy our trees sells the stands

you take your stand with you when you buy the tree , they put it on the tree there straight , trim lower limbs ,and make sure it's straight and then they put the tree in the back of your truck. When you get home you just take it inside and set it in the corner . Holds about a gallon of water. after four weeks, our tree is still drinking more than a quart a day. (Got it day before Thanksgiving). when it's first put in water my wife put something in the water and it's hot water...

x7eyFS2X_o.jpeg

Last edited:
We get 7-8' trees
Use a stand similar to this
Have for 20 yrs
No issues

The nursery where we buy our trees sells the stands

you take your stand with you when you buy the tree , they put it on the tree there straight , trim lower limbs ,and make sure it's straight and then they put the tree in the back of your truck. When you get home you just take it inside and set it in the corner . Holds about a gallon of water. after four weeks, our tree is still drinking more than a quart a day. (Got it day before Thanksgiving). when it's first put in water my wife put something in the water and it's hot water...

x7eyFS2X_o.jpeg

We get 8-9’ trees and use this stand from Target:

https://www.target.com/p/10ft-home-logic-ez-h20-christmas-tree-stand-green/-/A-52285352

We’ve had no problems with this stand. The only downside on this stand is it has 8 screws so it takes a while to tighten.

Thanks for the suggestions above, @MartinB and @Eric_B.

I wanted something different because it was too close looking to the stand I currently had, that I linked to in my OP.

Yes.

Yes. The longer your arms and legs, the easier. :)

I placed an order for the stand you linked to. I'll try it on my current tree after it arrives. By then, I'll have removed the decorations from the tree.

Can someone help with a tree topper suggestion?

My current one chipped during the last tree fall.

It looks like this (from years ago):

10847482_10202132142465258_2248322543737846985_o.jpg

I just spent hours looking online for tree toppers. I can't find anything I like.

At this point, I'm considering just trying to glue or tape the small part that chipped back on.

What I'm looking for:

* Very simple design, star or snowflake.

* LED lights, preferably cool white. I don't like warm white as much, but I can live with it, as my current one is actually warm white too.

* Either battery powered or electrical wire is fine.

* Lights should be steady on. I don't want twinkling, all of the other lights on the tree I have have some kind of motion, so I want this to be steady on.

* I can clip it onto the top part of the tree.

The closest I've seen:

1) https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07GR8M2Y8/tvwb-20

Very nice design, but the twinkle lights ruin it.

2) https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007MAU4J8/tvwb-20

I don't like the kind that has to go on top of the tree needles, I think it will be hard to keep it on, and hard to keep it straight.

The clip-on kind has worked much better for me, for many years.

I noticed the screws in the stand that I have, seem to be going through the tree bark. Not all the way though, but it is eating through some of the bark.

Will the new stand prevent that?

Hopefully if I also just have a bad tree, the new stand can correct for its deterioration.

I noticed the screws in the stand that I have, seem to be going through the tree bark. Not all the way though, but it is eating through some of the bark.

Will the new stand prevent that?

Hopefully if I also just have a bad tree, the new stand can correct for its deterioration.

Don't you have captive washer nuts like this on the ends of your bolts?

s-l300.jpg

Tim

One more question.

In general, should there be more ornaments on the bottom, or top?

Again, I've never had problems with a tree falling until this year, never happened before.

I had my tree for 7 weeks last year, didn't take it down until late January, no issues. Never watered it.

This year was the earliest I've ever bought my tree (November 30th) and the earliest I'll take the decorations off (in December, whereas it's always been January in the past).

Don't you have captive washer nuts like this on the ends of your bolts?

s-l300.jpg

Tim

Yes I do, and those seem to be tearing through the bark on the trunk a little. I can take a picture if it helps.

My new stand hasn't arrived yet, should arrive tomorrow.

But here's what I noticed, that the screws on my current screw stand has been going through the bark, like this:

https://imgur.com/a/r7XW9Tf

Actually, the base of my tree has a lot of areas like that, where the wood appears deteriorating, whether the screws are there or not.

Is this normal?

It sort of appeared to have those patches of exposed bark like that, from the beginning, within the first few days.

As I said, I never paid that much attention to the base of the tree before in prior years, because I didn't have any problems with trees falling down.

If I just got a bad tree, I guess I'll have to pay more attention next time. It was dark though when I bought it, so I don't think I could have caught this at the lot.

FYI, just posting this for information purposes. Someone has this cast iron stand, and recommended it. The stand weighs 20 lbs.

https://www.northlineexpress.com/he...Tlk9E2r-C7ZCNpaTntmunq1Rzj7oLhfMaAgH0EALw_wcB

It again seems to point to the principle of having a heavier stand, than what I'd been using.
Arun, I've been using something similar for quite a few years now. It's a heavy steel cylinder with 4 flat legs that stick out 8-1/2" and it's rated for up to 8' in tree height (we generally get one in the 6-7' range) and 5" trunk diameter. I bought it at the local garden center.

Thank you for your instructions.

The videos I saw on YouTube refer to older models which only had screws, and not clamps.

The newer models come with clamps, which have screws attached to the end of clamps.

I put the tree in my new stand.

However, the trunk didn't go all the way to the bottom of the holder. In the future, I will do like you said and take the holder to the tree lot itself, so they can make sure they trim it so that the trunk goes all the way to the bottom.

But right now, I'm using the tree I bought from last month. The branches get in the way, and the unbranched portion of trunk isn't very much.

Because the trunk doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the holder, I can still make the tree crooked if I push it physically while it's straight.

However, even if the tree leans, the entire stand doesn't fall over, like my old one did. And this is without any water.

So that seems like an improvement already.

I also had to take my tree into another room with a higher ceiling. Using this new stand, the top of the tree now scrapes the ceiling in the room where I preferred to keep the tree.

So do you think that if the trunk had been properly fitted, then I wouldn't be able to push the tree and make it lean, like I can now?

Or is there still something I'm doing wrong? Can I still make the tree firmer in the stand, than it is now, even though it doesn't go all the way into the holder?

Right now, my goal is to observe the tree in the new stand, until the next garbage day. That's when I'll remove the tree.

Hopefully it doesn't tilt over the next few days. If it doesn't, then I'll have confidence, even though the tree doesn't have any decorations. It the tree stays still for several days, even without decorations, then it passed the test, right? The 4 sets of lights plus ornaments shouldn't cause it to lean, right? What caused it to lean this year in the old stand was because the old stand just couldn't have as firm of a grip on the trunk as the new stand, right?

Also, I don't have to put the pedal back in the compartment, do I? That shouldn't affect anything, and whether the tree moves, right?

The new stand made it through the next garbage day without falling over. The new stand is a keeper.

I removed the tree when the garbage day came up.

Back