Christmas Party Meat - Prime Rib??

James Groves

I am hosting my company Christmas Party this year and was thinking about cooking some prime rib. I have seen the recipes on the main page. A couple questions:
- How much meat to buy? (26 adults & 8 children) (Thinking about 36lbs)(3-4 roasts)
- Do you see any issue cooking 3-4 roasts at once on my Bullet?
- Should I expect a longer cook time? (Recipe is 325-350 for 2+ hours)
- I would like to cook a non-beef option... Suggestions?
- Side options? (Fancy is ok)

Thanks for your help.

James I'm in too!
I was ordered by my motherinlow to cook a prime rib roast for Christmas.
I will cook a Creekstone Farm 13 pounder but really low and slow for 3 and more hours (round 200-210F) and sear later for few minutes.
IMO cooking this way will avoid the grey smoke ring caused by high heat. A very fast searing acion will not cause any "mouse ring" (from the color of mouse).

- How much meat to buy? (26 adults & 8 children) (Thinking about 36lbs)(3-4 roasts)

That seems like plenty. You might even have leftovers for French Dip sandwiches.
- Should I expect a longer cook time? (Recipe is 325-350 for 2+ hours)

I'm with Enrico - go with a much lower temp (lower 200s) for longer time, and then do a reverse sear at the end to set the crust. You'll get a much more even cook that way, with less risk of overcooking.

- I would like to cook a non-beef option... Suggestions?

-Muscovy Duck, dry aged for 2 weeks, brushed with a honey solution and roasted to medium rare.
-Roulade of pork with some kind of fancy Christmas-y filling.
-brown sugar/honey crusted ham

- Side options? (Fancy is ok)

-baked potato bar. Goes with prime rib and is less labor intensive.
-twice baked potato with cheddar, chive and sour cream.
-Yorkshire puddings with gravy
-parsnips tossed in beef fat and roasted until crispy
-butternut squash soup
-french onion soup

(Sorry about all the carbs . . . trying to eat low fat and low carb in preparation for holiday face-stuffing, and it's all I can think about)

36lbs is over a pound per person and 8 of them are kids. I think I'd go with about half a pound per person, so 18-20lbs should be fine. In my experience I can't get the 325-350° range on the wsm less i remove the water pan.

Your location posting is vague-- I live in Western Washinhton, and close to me is a Cash n' Carry. I just picked up a 18# for $8.70/lb. that I cut into 2" steaks. Excellent quality meat.

I think I need to rethink things. I can't find standing rib roast for under $12 lb in my area.

You could get a less expensive cut of beef like rump or round (or whatever they serve at carve stations). Any big, juicy, rosy-hued hunk o'beef will hit the right notes.

On Saturday I cooked 2 bone on rib roasts, a 8 pounder and a 9 pounder, for 19 adults at my office Christmas party and had 2 or 3 pounds left over. To be fair we had sides and 15 pounds of king crab to go with the roast. I got the roasts at Costco and have been getting beef there for several years. I have tried other sources in town but find Costco is consistently the best. My partner and I have been cooking Christmas party dinner for the staff for the last 5 or 6 years and they really like being served by the bosses.

James I'm in too!
I was ordered by my motherinlow to cook a prime rib roast for Christmas.
I will cook a Creekstone Farm 13 pounder but really low and slow for 3 and more hours (round 200-210F) and sear later for few minutes.
IMO cooking this way will avoid the grey smoke ring caused by high heat. A very fast searing acion will not cause any "mouse ring" (from the color of mouse).
Good info! This will likely be our Christmas dinner, but probably spun on a forthcoming Roto for the S330 (Christmas present) :)

Back