Christmas Ham ~ 2009

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
This was the 3rd ham I've cured and smoked, as well as the largest, and I have to say, this is, by far, the best one yet, even though the glaze was AWFUL !! If you haven't tried this, you should consider it. Just do a little homework and ask some questions
icon_wink.gif
This ham was extremely moist, had a nice mild ham flavor and was not salty at all.

I didn't take any pics of the ham until I put it on the smoker this morning.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Sorry. This one skinned very easily compared to the last two. Experience? This was after 9-1/2 days in the brine cure .. 2 water changes overnight, rinsing between each ~ 8 hours (The water changes had been kept in a separate brining bucket, in the fridge, to keep the ham below 40º).

On at 7:45 am Christmas Morning with a few hickory chunks over new Kingsford. Guru controlled.

After 6 hours in the smoke, Ham is at 132º and I had just bumped the WSM up to 250º from 235º.

After 90 minutes/6 glazes...

Here are a few 1/4" ham steaks after a 30 minute rest. Enjoy!
IMG_20091225_05685ae.jpg

Bill

Hope everyone had a great Christmas !!
icon_cool.gif

I'm sold! and seeing nice ones at restaurant depot has certainly got me thinking.

did you inject it at all, or was 9 days enough to get the cure fully penetrated?

what was the deal with the glaze?

Bill,

In your most honest appraisal, how does it compare to a quality ready-to-eat (just reheat) ham from the store?

I've wanted to try this myself, but I think mostly for street cred than because I think I can do better
icon_biggrin.gif

I'd be all over that! And a couple pieces would be in a skillet for breakfast as well if there were any leftovers!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Looks awesome Bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Jim.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I'm sold! and seeing nice ones at restaurant depot has certainly got me thinking.

did you inject it at all, or was 9 days enough to get the cure fully penetrated?

what was the deal with the glaze? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, how are you getting into RD? With your KCBS membership?

As mentioned in the linked thread, I injected about 6 cups of the brine/cure into the ham. Also, it was skinned prior to injecting and immersing in the brine. I don't think 9 (or 10) days would be enough time to penetrate fully to the bone and I'm not comfortable going longer than this at this point.

The glaze was way too overpowering. Too much bourbon and maybe too much molasses. I'm sure the 6 layers of it didn't help either. LOL Someone else here mentioned Chris' Mustard & Whiskey Glaze, which I missed in my initial search, and that sounds more like what I was after and will be the glaze of choice next time around. BTW, my ham looked just like Dizzy's sans the shank section.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Jones:
Bill,

In your most honest appraisal, how does it compare to a quality ready-to-eat (just reheat) ham from the store?

I've wanted to try this myself, but I think mostly for street cred than because I think I can do better
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The ready to eat hams I've tried vary so much ... A quality ham, as in pricey, is probably in the same neighborhood but this one was the best I've had. Not sure if it was the method & recipe or if it was the ham its self. It had a very mild ham flavor and I actually added some salt to a sammich I made last night. I NEVER do that with ham. LOL Personally, I'll never buy a ready-to-eat or ready-to-cook ham again. It's a little effort but not any more than anything else unless it's a frozen pizza or TV dinner
icon_wink.gif
The worst thing about this one was trying to cut the ham off the bone. This was my 1st whole ham and I learned a lot about it .. Next time, I'll not butcher the ham so much!
icon_biggrin.gif
A dedicated 2nd fridge is necessary, imo, if you want to get into this.
icon_wink.gif

Bill

Inspiring is a great word for it. I'm game Bill. I'll let you know when I try this. I think I'll try a half ham, though, if I can find one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Jones:
Inspiring is a great word for it. I'm game Bill. I'll let you know when I try this. I think I'll try a half ham, though, if I can find one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, that's what I did on both my 1st 2 attempts. Here are 2 threads that were involved last year for our Christmas Ham in case you're interested. That ham turned out pretty good! Basically, I followed Ruhlman's recipe with a few changes. There are a few other threads if you search.

Questions & Cook

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jeff, how are you getting into RD? With your KCBS membership? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup. If you arent KCBS...let me know, and I can meet you there.

so far I've had nice hangers for 1.89/lb, flanks for 3.49/lb, and some light spares for 1.89/lb (cooking those monday so can say how they were.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Next time, I'll not butcher the ham so much! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

those slices look pretty from here! I love how the exterior of the ham matches the wood grain of the table...beautiful!

Back