Christmas gift ideas?

EWhite

Hey everyone. As Halloween approaches, my family starts asking for Christmas ideas. I'm considering asking for a Flame Boss for my 18" WSM. What say you? Is it worth the price of admission? While I love the idea of it regulating internal temps remotely, my primary goal is having temp probes for meat and at the grate that connect to Wifi. I just want to be able to run an errand and keep an eye on what's happening with the WSM while away. Thanks in advance for your advice!

I think that as you learn the characteristics of your WSM and different meats, you really wont
need to have it connected with wifi.

My biggest suggestion, have them get you MEAT! Learn how the thing works without getting involved with too many “extras” when you start to see just how well the thing is designed, then see what you really think might be useful. Initially, I thought I wanted all that stuff, when I asked a buddy if he had any sort of ATC he told me he had something and if I would like to try it. I asked him why he wasn’t using it he said it was more trouble than he felt it was worth. End of interest for me. He had won several local competitions and just said he didn’t want to haul more stuff. A multi probe thermometer was enough. Learn to manage fire properly and you really don’t need much. Heck, I’ve gotten something working and gone to bed with just the remote from my thermpro TPS-8 (pretty basic) and never had any terrible trouble. It’s practice.
That’s just my opinion.

As mentioned above - I have no trouble assembling my WSM and going to bed without a temp controller.

If I didn't have them, I would pencil an Arborfab charoal basket onto my WSM list. I use one for my 14 all the time. I've got one for my 18 too but never opened the box. I never could get the hang of long cooks on my 14 until I got the extra capacity...

Same is true for a Hunsaker hanging rack. I use it all the time to create space on the 14 (drape skirt steaks, hang veggie baskets and hang a dutch oven) but I don't cook for enough people to worry about it on my 18. So... my 18's rack languishes in its packaging.

I really think a rotisserie ring would do me well on my kettle. That's on my Christmas list this year!

I'm with Andy, I want a spinner for the performer real bad lol seems like I cook for less people these days and a couple birds will fit on 1 it looks like.

Im firmly in camp of controller. It makes it easier. As easy as oven.

From turkey and chicken at 350F, to bacon at 150F.

And its on my phone. I can change it from bed. No going in and out in rain, tracking mud on floor, etc.

Back