Chris A's beef ribs

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Thank you Chris for your post on beef ribs this month. I had written off beef ribs from my repertoire as I considered them too lean and tough. Your post inspired me to try beef ribs again. With my own rub I smoked some beef ribs over oak and hickory and they came out great! So to any of those that have had poor results in the past; don’t give up! Good things come to those that persevere.

Paul

I've cooked beef ribs a couple of times and loved 'em. Just so hard to find any meaty ones around here. I would cook them a lot more often if I could just find some that weren't all bone.
icon_frown.gif

I have the same problem as Russell, i can't find meaty beef ribs

I requested some one time from the local butcher and he wanted like 12 bucks per pound.

Troy, at that price, I'd find a new butcher.
From what I understand, they'd rather sell short ribs at 6 to 7 bucks a pound than sell the long meaty beef ribs...
they ARE available IF you find the right butcher.
The most I've paid per pound was 3.99 and they were GREAT!
i've also found some for the same price that were suitable for bad-in-law-consumption.

don't give up... they're out there and they're SPECTACULAR!

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
The most I've paid per pound was 3.99 and they were GREAT!

Jim do you have same day shipping? I found a butcher who said he could cut some for me. Now I'm scared to ask about price.

Regards,
Oak

My Kroger has started carrying them fairly often.

I tried them once, and they were just okay. Much prefer pork ribs.

Down in the Stockyards in Fort Worth, there is a BBQ place called Riscky's that has all you can eat beef ribs, and they are are pretty darned good.

I may give them another try, just to do something different.

I've had a hard time finding good beef ribs here in St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota. The ones I see are all individual short ribs that look like about 50% bone, 30% fat, and 20% meat. Not very appealing when I can get great pork ribs all over town. Anybody have a good source in the Twin Cities or nearby? I've got a friend who runs a take-out rib shack and gets terrific, meaty beef ribs; I'm going to ask him where he gets them, though I'm sure it's a commercial foodservice supplier and they might not sell to the public. Maybe I can get him to order some extra for me...

I'm trying to find them myself, I'll let you kinow, unfortunately today is Sunday and my favorite meat shop is closed, but Im going to see if he can order some for me.

Originally posted by Dave Penn:
I've had a hard time finding good beef ribs here in St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota. The ones I see are all individual short ribs that look like about 50% bone, 30% fat, and 20% meat. Not very appealing when I can get great pork ribs all over town. Anybody have a good source in the Twin Cities or nearby? I've got a friend who runs a take-out rib shack and gets terrific, meaty beef ribs; I'm going to ask him where he gets them, though I'm sure it's a commercial foodservice supplier and they might not sell to the public. Maybe I can get him to order some extra for me...

Dave & Mike,

Not sure if either of you ever get to the NW suburbs, but I have had pretty good luck @ the Corborns store in Elk River. They usually have a few beef ribs on the shelf, and once or twice a summer I even stumble on a couple packs of "dinosaur" bones. IMHO better than pork ribs.

Originally posted by Adam B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Penn:

Dave & Mike,

Not sure if either of you ever get to the NW suburbs, but I have had pretty good luck @ the Corborns store in Elk River. They usually have a few beef ribs on the shelf, and once or twice a summer I even stumble on a couple packs of "dinosaur" bones. IMHO better than pork ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never get up to Elk River, but I spend weekends in Hastings and I'm always on the lookout at the Hastings Coborn. Haven't stumbled on any yet.

I did stumble on some at a neighborhood grocer near me, but in the several times I've been back they haven't had any.

I broke down and ordered some on Amazon from a Kosher supplier. They're way too expensive to make a regular habit of, but I had a weak moment. ;-( I'll keep you posted as to how they are.

If you have access to a Restaurant Depot, they carry them. After Jim's latest photos I am going to grab some this week.

I picked up a 3 pack at restaurant Depot after reading Chris's article. They were pretty meaty actually. I cooked one rack the first weekend following the recipe and they tasted great! I did a second rack the following weekend but left out the beer mop. I never really bought into the mopping idea. They definitely did not taste as good as the first rack so when I do the last of the 3 racks I will be adding back the beer. I will say that both ribs did come out very dark. I was first afraid they burned but no, just dark and delicious.

Found some Boney beef ribs at Mikes Butcher shop in West Saint Paul, not exactly what I was looking for but I'll give them a try.

I picked up a 3 pack at restaurant Depot after reading Chris's article. They were pretty meaty actually. I cooked one rack the first weekend following the recipe and they tasted great! I did a second rack the following weekend but left out the beer mop. I never really bought into the mopping idea. They definitely did not taste as good as the first rack so when I do the last of the 3 racks I will be adding back the beer. I will say that both ribs did come out very dark. I was first afraid they burned but no, just dark and delicious.

I usually pick up my beef ribs at Restaurant Depot as well. I get the Angus Beef when I can. I love beef ribs and the Angus Beef are pretty darn tasty. I usually mop the ribs with Walter Jetton's barbecue mop. Mr. Jetton was the chef who cooked all LBJ's barbecues (at the White House and at his Texas ranch). Here's a link to the recipe (I usually make a 1/4 batch). http://bbq.about.com/od/moprecipes/r/bl00513a.htm. I leave out the MSG.

Bill

Thanks Bill-I still have one rack left so I will give it a try. If it was good enough for an LBJ BBQ at the White House it must be good!

Thanks Bill-I still have one rack left so I will give it a try. If it was good enough for an LBJ BBQ at the White House it must be good!

I also use this mop with brisket. I don't know how much mopping helps, but it looks good when you have guests over. They think you're actually doing something instead of just waiting around for 12 hours.

Bill

Back