Chicken thighs

Chris Bushman

So I've tried a wet brine on chicken thighs and it worked very well. However the skins were rather limp and unappealing. I've heard that treating them with baking powder can make chicken skins crispy. Can the two techniques be used together?

Depends what cooker you’re using and it’s setup.

You can direct sear the skin upfront with a wet brine and that’ll help set the skin to crisp. And you’ll need temperature too like 375-400°F after that direct sear, for 30-35 minutes until your IT is 175°-180°.

Use a neutral oil in your wet brine too to help that direct sear attract flames.

Last edited:
I'm late to the game on replying to this thread.
I use Duck Fat spray before applying the rub and a few minutes into the cook. it crisps the skin right up

Website says the Duck Fat Spray is available at an ACE Hardware near me, I'm game to give it a try.
I'll report back on my findings.

Website says the Duck Fat Spray is available at an ACE Hardware near me, I'm game to give it a try.
I'll report back on my findings.
i'd never stop anyone from separating with their money. You can use olive oil for the same result and likely less money.

You can also render down chicken fat and store it in the fridge and use that too as a pre-rub application.

Again, spend as you wish. At $12 a can.

I do oven baked wings with baking powder in the mix and they come out super crispy, FWIW. Don't know how that'd work after a wet brine, but it's worth a shot. Just pat them completely before applying.

Kinda weird to go to hardware store for duck fat

Hey LMichaels < Not his real name:cool: Maybe he's DB Cooper..

I just looked at where the duck fat spray was available nearest to me and low and behold...ACE Hardware. We will see....
As John said they carry a great but limited stock of great bbq grills, spices, charcoal etc.

I do oven baked wings with baking powder in the mix and they come out super crispy, FWIW.
Jim, you've been a great contributor here for a long time, but I simply cannot let this go unnoticed and therefore must reply:

Did you mean to post this to your soccer moms group? ;)

Baking soda hastens the maillard reaction
I’ve found the best kettle or oven wings are those that get seasoned, and very lightly tossed and coated with corn starch. Then spray them with avocado spray oil (or your preferred spray oil) and the cooked at 400-425°, until crispy, say 35-40 minutes.

IMG_9580.jpeg

Can you find the Duck Spray ? It’s in this pic. Believe it or not ACE Hardware had it in stock. Now I just have to get some chicken, ACE Hardware didn’t have any.

Yes. Nice rack. Er, spicy. I mean, all the tools at your reach.
Parallel bible, like the joy of cooking and weber grill combined. Irma and jaime recipe for apple stuffed sn...

Last edited:
View attachment 80332

Can you find the Duck Spray ? It’s in this pic. Believe it or not ACE Hardware had it in stock. Now I just have to get some chicken, ACE Hardware didn’t have any.
Lol...for a moment, I was like "Huh. That's the most eclectic ACE store I've ever seen. Bible dictionary two shelves above the marmalade 🤣

Then it all came into focus...nice pantry man!

Back