Chicken thighs and forbidden sides

John K BBQ

TVWBB Wizard
Wifey left me..... home to my own devices for the weekend. Me, being the wild man I am, I decided to make some chicken thighs, and with my wife being several hundred miles away, I figured she'd never find out about me..... cooking asparagus as a side. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but I'm having some regrets this morning. My teenage son knows what I did, and may let it slip out. She might also find out if my pee doesn't stop smelling funny soon enough... I guess if she finds out we'll probably get thru with a little counselling. I know I can trust my fellow forum members to keep this secret, so here goes;

Here are the chicken thighs all seasoned up with Emeril Lagasi's rustic rub seasoning. I mainly use this to season chicken for Gumbo, but it does well for seasoning other things as well. I seasoned the chicken pretty liberally and put it in the fridge for about 4 hours before cooking in hopes of "crispy skin". Also in the photo, you can see another example of me abusing my freedom by partaking in some non-Napa California red.

IMG-4410.jpg

Here we are with the chicken thighs on the E6. The Vortex is in the center with the grate in the upper position. Unfortunately, the vortex is about 0.5" too tall to allow the middle grate to sit in place. Not shown; I did throw a chunk of pecan wood on top of the hot coals for smoke flavor. I probably could have made at least 12 thighs, man this E6 is a beast!

IMG-4411.jpg

Here we are, all plated up with some homemade yellow rice, and the forbidden side, asparagus in it's oven roasted form. I have no idea why wifey doesn't like it, but I sure do, so I make it when she's not around like any other good hubby would. The chicken thighs also turned out quite well. I have a request into the company that makes to Vortex to see if they'll offer a shorter version that fits the E6. If I get some good news, I'll be sure to share it.

IMG-4412.jpg

Picking wifey up at the airport at 4 PM. I might come clean and just tell her. What would you do? :geek:

I probably could have made at least 12 thighs

My intention is not to boast but you can see how 12 thighs fit on a 22" kettle with a vortex here:

My intention is not to boast but you can see how 12 thighs fit on a 22" kettle with a vortex here:

It’s not braggin if you’ve done it.

Oh she knows. Somehow they always know. For me it's bleu cheese. Wife has an allergy to it but I'm a big fan. So I usually partake in some form while she is gone. On top of a burger or just with a glass of port. I know, I'm a real wild man!

That's my kinda plate, right there!

Your secret is safe with me. Just be sure to put the bathroom fan on and flush immediately. Maybe grab some of this before her return - designed for 'heavier jobs', but would probably be fine for your situation as well: :ROFLMAO:

1645975188395.png

Wifey left me..... home to my own devices for the weekend. Me, being the wild man I am, I decided to make some chicken thighs, and with my wife being several hundred miles away, I figured she'd never find out about me..... cooking asparagus as a side. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but I'm having some regrets this morning. My teenage son knows what I did, and may let it slip out. She might also find out if my pee doesn't stop smelling funny soon enough... I guess if she finds out we'll probably get thru with a little counselling. I know I can trust my fellow forum members to keep this secret, so here goes;

Here are the chicken thighs all seasoned up with Emeril Lagasi's rustic rub seasoning. I mainly use this to season chicken for Gumbo, but it does well for seasoning other things as well. I seasoned the chicken pretty liberally and put it in the fridge for about 4 hours before cooking in hopes of "crispy skin". Also in the photo, you can see another example of me abusing my freedom by partaking in some non-Napa California red.

View attachment 46194

Here we are with the chicken thighs on the E6. The Vortex is in the center with the grate in the upper position. Unfortunately, the vortex is about 0.5" too tall to allow the middle grate to sit in place. Not shown; I did throw a chunk of pecan wood on top of the hot coals for smoke flavor. I probably could have made at least 12 thighs, man this E6 is a beast!

View attachment 46195

Here we are, all plated up with some homemade yellow rice, and the forbidden side, asparagus in it's oven roasted form. I have no idea why wifey doesn't like it, but I sure do, so I make it when she's not around like any other good hubby would. The chicken thighs also turned out quite well. I have a request into the company that makes to Vortex to see if they'll offer a shorter version that fits the E6. If I get some good news, I'll be sure to share it.

View attachment 46196

Picking wifey up at the airport at 4 PM. I might come clean and just tell her. What would you do? :geek:
I bought off of Amazon the Tornado branded one. I’m going to use my grinder or metal snips to trim mine down. It’s on my project list. Hopefully soon!

Great looking meal. I'm not much for asparagus either, but I had some grilled chicken that was stuffed with cheese and asparagus one time, and it was quite good. Been meaning to cook it again at some point, and may just do it soon now.

Back