Chicken skin

Saturday went well. Definitely saw some big differences between the different methods. It was a lot of fun doing all the different things, not so much fun keeping it all straight. Lot's of labeling and diagrams.

So this is what I did. I cooked 3 pcs per method so I could get different opinions and my guinea pigs could see the difference as well.

I used the Jaccard to pierce the skin in one direction.

For the brine, it was just the basic brown sugar, kosher and water

The marinade was Italian dressing.

Overnight brine/marinate was about 10 hours, got a little later start than I wanted.

1st batch
Tenderized skin & brined overnight
Tenderized skin & marinated overnight
Normal skin & brined overnight
Normal skin & marinated overnight

2nd batch
Tenderized skin & brined 4 hours
Tenderized skin & marinated 4 hours
Normal skin & brined 4 hours
Normal skin & marinated 4 hours

I did not get as many pics as I would have liked, but everything pretty much looked the same in the 2 batches.

1st batched, rubbed and awaiting the smoker:

DSC02578.jpg

2nd batch, being marinated & brined:

DSC02577.jpg

Batch 1 on the smoker:

DSC02579.jpg

Batch 1, flipped after an hour:

DSC02580.jpg

Batch 1, almost finished. At this point they had been glazed once and were about to be glazed a second time. I took them off about 20 minutes after the 2nd glazing.

DSC02581.jpg

The winner was pretty easy to choose, it was the tenderized skin, brined overnight.

Using the Jaccard to tenderize the skin definitely made a HUGE difference. Easy to bite through. In the future, I will probably run it across the skin in both directions. In all 12 pcs that had been tenderized, this skin was much better than it's normal skin counterpart.

As for flavor, marinade vs brine was not a whole lot of difference. They were both very juicy, with a slight advantage to the brine.

The big difference between the marinade and brine was the skin. On most of the pcs that were in the marinade, the skin slid right off the meat upon the first bite. The brine seemed to hold everything together much better.

In comparing the 10+ hours to the 4 hours, the brine came out juicier on the 10+, but did not come out saltier than the 4. The marinade on the 4 hours seemed to leave all the flavor on the outside of the meat, it really didn't get all the way through.

Thanks for checking this project out. My first comp is this Saturday, and although my chosen method probably isn't the best way, I am glad I at least have something I am comfortable with.

Josh, EXCELENT test cook. Thanks so much for the detailed info. I am sure many here will like it. The best to you in your comp. Use the method that you feel is best. I did pretty much the same testing before my 1st comp with chicken. Not all in one cook tho. The texture and skin came out just like the practice cooks, the not so high point was my choice of flavor profile. I think that it needed to be a bit sweeter, at tleast for the judges that day. 19/36 tho wasn't in the basement. Let us know how you fair.

Mark

Josh, thanks for the detailed post! Not a comp cook, but I'm sure I can use some of your tips around home.

I find it real interesting how it seems we've had it beating into our heads that brining causes nasty rubbery skin. But you've shown the opposite to be true when using the jaccard and going low and slow. I still like jeff's hot tub trick for precooking/tenderizing the skin before hitting the grates. It looks like it just got him a third at his last comp. But good luck this sat looking forward to seeing how u do.

Originally posted by kaz S:
I find it real interesting how it seems we've had it beating into our heads that brining causes nasty rubbery skin. But you've shown the opposite to be true when using the jaccard and going low and slow. I still like jeff's hot tub trick for precooking/tenderizing the skin before hitting the grates. It looks like it just got him a third at his last comp. But good luck this sat looking forward to seeing how u do.

In the past few months I have been brining leg quarters when grilling and when I have the time. They have come out wonderful in a short 2 hour brine. But of course that's grilling over high heat, so skin is not an issue there.

Due to all the things I have read (the internet gets you in trouble this way) about how brining affects skin, I did all my chicken thighs in marinades for smoking. Also, you read about not brining chicken peices for more than a couple hours, as it will "over brine" them.

However, after reading on here about Mark brining overnight, I thought I should definitely include it in my testing. My theory was that brines increase the amount of water in the meat, while bringing some flavor. Well, the problem with chicken skin is the fat inside it. Why would a brine increase the amount of water in the skin if there is so much fat? And if it does, there would be more water in there to heat up and help cook the fat out.

Of course none of this is scientific. Thanks everyone for your comments, I will let you know how this weekend goes.

Short reply re overnight brining. Before I hit on the "right" concentration of salt/H20, my chicken was very salty with an overnight brine. Since I toned down the amount of salt, I now use a ratio of 3/4 cup Kosher salt to 1 gal water with 3/4 cup torbinado sugar and 8 oz of a good Italian dressing. So I guess it is really a brine/marinade mix. I have yet to get mushy meat with this combo. Last weekend I did a whole split bird with just 6 hrs of brine and it came out great. There probably is a wide leway in time.

Mark

I still like jeff's hot tub trick for precooking/tenderizing the skin before hitting the grates. It looks like it just got him a third at his last comp.

We managed to score a 170 (KCBS). The skin wasn't perfectly tender, but given the fact that we did very little trimming, and the smoker wasn't running as hot as I would have like, we still managed to get bite through skin.

Well the jaccard worked, got first place in my first competition. I will post details answer pictures tomorrow.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Well the jaccard worked, got first place in my first competition. I will post details answer pictures tomorrow.

Josh, Congrats on your 1st comp and 1st place bird. You're hooked now!!!!!!!!

Mark

Originally posted by Bill Comerford:
WOW! Congrats! Me and my coffee are waiting. Great Job!

I am guessing your coffee is cold by now, but I am about to put the post in the Competition forum

Back